No announcement yet.

Glutamine-zigga

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glutamine-zigga

I recently began taking Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard after my workouts. My concern is that this protein also contains 4 grams of glutamine per serving. I was wondering if this amino acid is safe and/or beneficial or detrimental to boxing? Any info. on it? Anyone use it? Zigga..?

Imo ON 100% is 1 of the best proteins out there. Very good stuff anyway.....

Glutamine or L Glutamine is a despensable ammino acid found in muscle cells, its the major fuel of the immune system.

It mays actually help prevent muscle breakdown and supress exercise induced immune depression, but the evidence is not conclusive.

During heavy peiods of exercise blood and muscle glutimine levels drop. There is also a drop of immune cells making u more susceptable to infection during this time. In other words with out adequate fuel (glutamine) immune cell activity is impaired.The idea behind glutimane is 2 prevent post exercise drop in glutimine levels and maintain the immune system. Therectically it may also prevent muscle breakdown normally associated with hard training.Thats because it helps draw water into muscle cells increasing cell volume. This inhabbits enzymes(biological catalysts) from braking down muscle proteins.

Glutamin has more important fuctions though, its used for healing the gut wall and restoring the integrity of the digestive tract.Its also used as fuel for the brain. Dont take 2 much as its possiable to over stimulate ur brain and cause permanent damage.

A safe dose wud be 100mg per kg of body weight no longer then 2 hours after exercise. I thinks thats the equivalent of 7g dose in a 70 kg athelete.I also forgot to mention some studies have suggested that it may contribute to weight loss.
    Last edited by Zigga; 09-18-2006, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Glutamine keeps me recovering quick after hard training, even at 35 and over 20 years of boxing. I have had elbow surgery, tendonitis, broken noses... I use it all the time. Man, when you are in your twenties, recovery is quick! Wait until later on...when you wake up after hard sparring and can't move in your thirties..haha. Use Glutamine and you will be happy you did. All the best gentleman!

Comment

Originally posted by boxingcp
        Glutamine keeps me recovering happy you did.
        Spot on it certainly does

Comment

Working...
        X