Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's the Best Coach in the Game Right Now?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1moreround View Post
    I respect your opinion. But to me, being a coach is a lot about working with the talent you got. Most of Garcia's fighters come to him on the down side of their career. He's almost like a rehab coach trying to get his fighters back into the mix. He doesn't really have the luxury of high end, raw talent fighters (minus Nonito, who you mentioned could be considered an exception). He took Brandon Rios (who had a pretty dismal amateur background) and turned him into a world champion. His brother Mikey Garcia is a world champion and on his way to a big fight, hopefully (I know it could be argued that Mikey's main coach is his father). Kelly Pavlik had pretty much a career and personal meltdown and he was able to get him off the boos, and get him back into the ring and win some fights. And Maidana, coming off of a land-slide loss to Devon Alexander, did a pretty good job (albeit not perfect) of getting back into the win column with his recent TKO over Soto-Karass.

Again, his fighters are far from perfect and could be argued that they lack talent compared to a lot of the blue chip fighters in the game today. But IMO, I think he deserves credit for taking the fighters that many probably would have given up on and getting some good results. But yeah, just my opinion.
    Let's see how Rios does in these upper weight classes. His chances of beating any top guy at 140-147 are pretty slim if you ask me. So don't jump the gun yet. Garcia is a world champion? Which major title does he hold and who has he fought? Concepcion? Pavlik's has fought nothing but cans with padded records and his last fight he didn't look too promising did he? Maidana was just well matched up vs another bum with style that favors him.

Garcia is a horrible trainer. A good trainer is more about than just training a fighter. He allowed Rios to keep draining himself and damaging his body. He also retired Margarito by not stopping the fight vs Pacquiao.

Comment

Enough said,Thank you Undisputed Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
        Pedro Diaz impressed the hell out of me. He really has a scientific approach to boxing and even uses modern medical and fitness knowledge. He knew the jab was the shoulder roll's kryptonite and made Cotto use his jab as a power punch at the end of his combinations, genius. I'd vote for him just based on Cotto's performance against Floyd.

Honorable mention to Pablo Sarmiento.
        I was going to say Pedro but he is getting credit for other people's work. Cotto and Salido were both experienced pro's when he got to working with them. I'm not saying he isn't a great trainer or the best but I want to see him with a young cat before we make him number 1. I still think he is top 5 though, that being said.

Nacho is very overrated, at least now that he is older. I'm sorry but you don't do things well when you get older, the brain goes with the body in some way. Not like he is going senile, but he is getting soft with his fighters IMO. Angulo got schooled and he cost Marquez the last Manny fight because he told him he had the fight won. Marquez took that round off, had he won it he would have gotten a majority decision instead he just gave it up. It was a close fight to be honest with his fighter and say you better win this round to secure your win.

Roach is done now too IMO, he's getting older and worst of all he has a debilitating disease. Not trying to be a dick but you don't have cancer or some extreme illness and not affect your work, for Roach it finally is.

Garcia is doing a solid job right now I have to say. He got Donaire late as well but he's done well enough with Rios and his brother to prove he knows what he is doing... I'd say he's the best right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Beater_of_ass View Post
          I was going to say Pedro but he is getting credit for other people's work. Cotto and Salido were both experienced pro's when he got to working with them. I'm not saying he isn't a great trainer or the best but I want to see him with a young cat before we make him number 1. I still think he is top 5 though, that being said.
          As experienced as Cotto is, he still needs a top trainer to come up with a good gameplan and be his third eye in the ring. Look what happened when he had a noob trainer against Pac...

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
            As experienced as Cotto is, he still needs a top trainer to come up with a good gameplan and be his third eye in the ring. Look what happened when he had a noob trainer against Pac...
            It wasn't just the trainer the weight and his psyche after the Marg loss were factors as well. But still, Cotto knew how to jab, hook etc... Also Cotto did have Steward for two fights prior to Diaz and he looked much more technical already, he brings a great gameplan no doubt. But I want to see him build a fighter, that takes much more skill than taking over, period.

Comment

It wasn't just the trainer the weight and his psyche after the Marg loss were factors as well. But still, Cotto knew how to jab, hook etc... Also Cotto did have Steward for two fights prior to Diaz and he looked much more technical already, he brings a great gameplan no doubt. But I want to see him build a fighter, that takes much more skill than taking over, period.
              Totally agree. Great potential, but early to say he's the best right now IMO.

Comment

Nacho & Pedro Diaz.

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
                  Let's see how Rios does in these upper weight classes. His chances of beating any top guy at 140-147 are pretty slim if you ask me. So don't jump the gun yet. Garcia is a world champion? Which major title does he hold and who has he fought? Concepcion? Pavlik's has fought nothing but cans with padded records and his last fight he didn't look too promising did he? Maidana was just well matched up vs another bum with style that favors him.

Garcia is a horrible trainer. A good trainer is more about than just training a fighter. He allowed Rios to keep draining himself and damaging his body. He also retired Margarito by not stopping the fight vs Pacquiao.
                  if you look at every coach close enough im sure youll find a couple of mistakes, not everyone is perfect but if you do ask me who i think is a good coach ill say garcia most def........

Comment

Originally posted by bigsmoothh View Post
                    if you look at every coach close enough im sure youll find a couple of mistakes, not everyone is perfect but if you do ask me who i think is a good coach ill say garcia most def........
                    Those 2 I pointed were 2 pretty big mistakes to make if you ask me. Good trainer? Maybe. The best? Not IMO. Far more accomplished trainers out there with winning fighters than Garcia. Thread title says 'best' so Im not sure why people are throwing Pedro Diaz out there either... He hasn't done anything in boxing. Hell, Salas has done more than Pedro Diaz if you look at Gamboa, Rigondeaux and Culcay.

Comment

Nacho is very overrated, at least now that he is older.
                      I'm sorry but you don't do things well when you get older, the brain goes with the body in some way. Not like he is going senile, but he is getting soft with his fighters IMO. Angulo got schooled and he cost Marquez the last Manny fight because he told him he had the fight won. Marquez took that round off, had he won it he would have gotten a majority decision instead he just gave it up. It was a close fight to be honest with his fighter and say you better win this round to secure your win.

Roach is done now too IMO, he's getting older and worst of all he has a debilitating disease. Not trying to be a dick but you don't have cancer or some extreme illness and not affect your work, for Roach it finally is.

Garcia is doing a solid job right now I have to say. He got Donaire late as well but he's done well enough with Rios and his brother to prove he knows what he is doing... I'd say he's the best right now.
                      SMDH!!! You realize how many HOFs he built from the ground up? Tell me someone who has made more than Nacho in the same manner. I'll wait.

Sure Nacho is only human just like all of us. People make mistakes. Watch how Cotto gets his ass knocked out and people will turn around and hate on Diaz only to praise him several days ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X