Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What direction is the force in this punch going?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonitosWay View Post
    It's a unorthodox technique but I need to see it applied in a real live fight. Will practice on the bag and see if I'll take it with me to the ring.
    try it in partner work or on the pads - it's important to really get the feel of making the shot sneak around the lead hand of (your presumably orthodox) opponent
    with the bag it just feels weird usually

Comment

Originally posted by frosty-g View Post
      it's basically a straight right with a kink in it, the force is going forwards, the punch however impacts with a slight angle
      throw a straight right and as you turn it over as normal also allow the elbow to kick out slightly to the sidetowards the end of the movement et voila
      Thanks mate!!

Sounds like you know your cuban boxing!

So you know a straight right is perfectly straight, and a right cross is like a straight right but you keep the elbow slightly bent so you can counter over the opponents straight right?

Well whats the difference between the long range right hook he shows in the video and the right cross?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
        Thanks mate!!

Sounds like you know your cuban boxing!

So you know a straight right is perfectly straight, and a right cross is like a straight right but you keep the elbow slightly bent so you can counter over the opponents straight right?

Well whats the difference between the long range right hook he shows in the video and the right cross?
        if i'm getting what you mean they are very similar, except the right hook from the long distance doesn't go over, it sneaks around the side
        somewhere between the two i guess!

it's not a common technique and in some ways it's not one of the best to use as it's a little risky BUT, why restrict your game by ruling out that angle when it can certainly be useful? as hardly anyone uses it that makes it pretty useful at times because it is a surprise, just as with a bolo punch

i got a diploma in teaching sport/boxing over in havana so i'm a bit cuban boxing obsessed by the way!

if i remember right mayweather got using this shot or thereabouts against cotto later in their fight as cotto was keeping his guard quite tight around the front with gloves on his forehead pretty much, especially when mayweather was first throwing a jab or whatever:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpncA_3V52I
        5:00 and then 5:02 for example though i think there are better examples, but at least you see what i mean
        the first one of these he has to overdo it a bit to get the power but the second is a bit prettier
        with a bit of foot movement to deliver the shot it works better though

Comment

if i'm getting what you mean they are very similar, except the right hook from the long distance doesn't go over, it sneaks around the side
          somewhere bverdo it a bit to get the power but the second is a bit prettier
          with a bit of foot movement to deliver the shot it works better though

Perfect answer thankyou sir! You understood well and I like your obsession!

Stunning highlights! Im amazed at how much Mayweather used that shot!

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
            Perfect answer thankyou sir! You understood well and I like your obsession!

Stunning highlights! Im amazed at how much Mayweather used that shot!
            glad to be of use!

that's the thing, not a commonly used shot but mayweather was struggling a bit to find something to really slow cotto down. so he dug into his bag of tricks and eventually came out with this work and it worked nicely

even if you aren't ever likely to use a specific shot, learn it and how it works, it'll at least give you a deeper understanding of the game, another piece in the jigsaw puzzle, and one day it will actually quite probably come in useful

Comment

glad to be of use!

that's the thing, not a commonly used shot but mayweather was struggling a bit to find something to really slow cotto down. so he dug into his bag of tricks and eventually came out with this work and it worked nicely

even if you aren't ever likely to use a specific shot, learn it and how it works, it'll at least give you a deeper understanding of the game, another piece in the jigsaw puzzle, and one day it will actually quite probably come in useful
              I see. Will do. I agree! Much appreciated mate!

Comment

Theres defined right & wrong in boxing but thats not to say that wrong can't be determined as "different" and work, ala Ali who did many things wrong!

In the video the demo has the rear foot pointed at 3 o'clock and the front foot at 1 o'clock!
                I teach the front foot to be closer to 12 o'clock and the back foot closer to 2 o'clock. The reason for the front foot position is to straight line (shortest distance) to the target and keeping my front knee under my hip, the turn the demo uses negates that balance point! My rear foot has a shorter pivot (turn) to be able to gain more speed that allows more power!
                As far as the "right hook" or "rear hook" thats just terminology and I've never heard that expression, ever! A right hand that needs to travel around the front glove or over the left shoulder of an opponent is just explained in the corner. Again just different terminologies!

The cross the demo is showing is NOT a cross! A cross from the back hand is simply a straight punch that crosses over as if to hit the right shoulder!
                The crossing action hopefully happens on impact of the chin/jaw! In essence the straight right crosses over from the chin target to the right shoulder!!!
                Its simply a "go across the chest punch"!
                Other than that its a nice video demo and I agree with the importance of balance and axsis. Pivoting and shifting weight is extremely difficult to learn for the vast majority because it needs to become fluid and effortless and its a demanding technique.
                Ray.

Comment

try it in partner work or on the pads - it's important to really get the feel of making the shot sneak around the lead hand of (your presumably orthodox) opponent
                  with the bag it just feels weird usually
                  Thanks, it did feel weird.

Comment

Working...
                  X