Mike Tyson was potentially the greatest boxer of all time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Joe Louis was better.
    Skill and accomplishment wise, absolutely.

potential means a lot of things. actual is not one of those things.

We can only judge by what they do, not what they could have done.

Holyfield had Tyson completely flustered. Holyfield never had that much of an upper hand against Lewis and Bowe. That wasn't demons, that was skill.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post

Holyfield had Tyson completely flustered. Holyfield never had that much of an upper hand against Lewis and Bowe. That wasn't demons, that was skill.
      I agree with you. I was commenting more on the OP's statement about Mike being the hardest hitting and most accurate puncher in heavyweight history.

Comment

In terms of physical talent, he was incredible

Comment

Mike Tyson was the greatest boxer who ever lived to me back then when he was beating spinks, bonecrusher smith, tubbs and tucker etc etc.
          I didn't think there had been anyone like him, I couldn't imagine there had been but I was young back then in school and didn't know boxing history.
          To me there was no arguments that he was the best

Comment

Originally posted by stefl14 View Post
            That's the truth. People talk about his mentality being the problem. But that's not the only thing. The fact is that he had one style, which he was brilliant at, but if it didn't work then he had no answers. You can't really blame him for that too much as a heavy under six foot but yeah he's not anywhere near one of the greatest. Not top 100 boxers of all time.
            That is nonsense!! Mike at his best would have knocked out all of the best heavyweights in history with ease, as he proved when he knocked out the great Larry Holmes.

If it were not for his personal issues and demons he would have rated as the number one heavyweight in boxing history.

They only opponent that could beat him at his best was himself, Mike Tyson

Comment

Nobody had the same speed matching power of Tyson.nobody had the offense and defense that were equal either....that sums it up.add in the bonus what actually made him deadly was his footwork and superior positioning to be at angles where opponets had least likely hood to hit back or to postion himself for the better position of how he would distribute the weight of his punches to counter act with the next punch he would throw so he was never off balance always there to counter punches..ppl really need to do their homework.

heres a video I found to help...

Last edited by juggernaut666; 04-06-2016, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan McDougall View Post
                Mike Tyson was potentially the greatest boxer of all time.
                He was he most devastating and hardest hitting and the heaviest, most accurate hitting heavy- weight in all of boxing history.
                No one and this means, no one, could punch as hard as Mike at his best.
                Mikes was defeated by himself and no one else, he could have gone on to be the greatest pound for pound boxer in history.
                What a sad loss to sport, due to his personal demons that had nothing to do with boxing!
                Some say Ernie Shavers hit as hard, if not, harder than Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by Szef View Post
                  Tyson was the biggest hype job of all time IMO.
                  Sadly right.

Comment

A prime Tyson who could have made the CW limit of 200 is at worst the second best CW of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post

That Tyson was nowhere near his potential. I think we all can admit, a post-Cus Tyson was a shell of what he should have been. It does boil down to his mentality, not in the ring, but outside of it. Had Cus lived 5 more years, I have no doubts Tyson would have been a better man.

Comment

Working...
                      X