Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kevin Iole "Miguel Cotto needs to perform better outside the ring before he steps in"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotto is boring as a mother ****er with terrible English on camera. There are some videos out there where he's cool and other times when he's awful. The whole point is no one watching Cotto do an interview is ever going to be "Oh man that guy is really compelling (positive or negative) I should buy his fight to see him win (or lose.) What you do get from Cotto is that he loves his family, and he puts on great fights nearly every fight.

I understand where you guys are coming from to "promote the fight." But FFS he this article just created some hype for the fight, whether it was intended or not. And to be perfectly honest, it's okay to be the B side I prefer it that means you get A quality fighters that you don't have to pay $60 to see. This also is a business going on Kimmel or something during his training in Big Bear would have been great, but whatever.

Before I knew who Cotto was I didn't become a fan because of an interview I saw him fight and really liked his style. Heavy jab and good body work and he is a vulnerable fighter with some glaring weaknesses such as 8 round stamina and prone to uppercuts, but he finds a way to overcome these most of the times and he has heart contrary to what the p*ssies who would **** themselves even stepping into the ring say. His attitude outside the ring also sets him apart from Floyd/Broner antics and Manny's constant good PR campaign on 24/7.

Comment

Originally posted by Beater_of_ass View Post
      Cotto is boring as a mother ****er with terrible English on camera. There are some videos out there where he's cool and other times when he's awful. The whole point is no one watching Cotto do an interview is ever going to be "Oh man that guy is really compelling (positive or negative) I should buy his fight to see him win (or lose.) What you do get from Cotto is that he loves his family, and he puts on great fights nearly every fight.

I understand where you guys are coming from to "promote the fight." But FFS he this article just created some hype for the fight, whether it was intended or not. And to be perfectly honest, it's okay to be the B side I prefer it that means you get A quality fighters that you don't have to pay $60 to see. This also is a business going on Kimmel or something during his training in Big Bear would have been great, but whatever.

Before I knew who Cotto was I didn't become a fan because of an interview I saw him fight and really liked his style. Heavy jab and good body work and he is a vulnerable fighter with some glaring weaknesses such as 8 round stamina and prone to uppercuts, but he finds a way to overcome these most of the times and he has heart contrary to what the p*ssies who would **** themselves even stepping into the ring say. His attitude outside the ring also sets him apart from Floyd/Broner antics and Manny's constant good PR campaign on 24/7.
      Everyone is not you. No one cares about hardcore fans they will buy the fight always guaranteed. Cotto needs the general fringe fans and most of them don't know who he is.

Comment

cotto is just too "reserved"... its not his style to provide antics during his promotions... its just real as it gets... and i respect him for that... that Kevin Iole is just a tabloid back page wannabe, and Yahoo prefers those types of writers...

Comment

Originally posted by Beater_of_ass View Post
          Cotto is boring as a mother ****er with terrible English on camera.
          I think its unfair to say "terrible English" when its his second language.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
            Yes, because there is so little exposure for Cotto vs Trout, and Cotto in general. I mean so many people don't know who he is. I mean damn... Who is Miguel Cotto? Dude is doing ****ty promotion of himself, I mean making millions of dollars, and being a household name... ****ing terrible job.
            Who did that, himself or Top Rank?

It takes a lot more to be a star - and maintain star status - than show up and fight. This will be a big test of his "star status", can he maintain his appeal (which was always fragile compared to Tito Trinidad) among Puerto Rican fans without the big machine behind him? We'll find out.

Comment

Iole's column was ahead of its time, really. Just today, I was heading to the Cotto media workout. I arrived at the venue in Manhattan's financial district and was told that they had changed the venue just two hours earlier, and that it was now at Gleason's Gym in Brooklyn.

It's snowing outside today, and the trains that go to Brooklyn are all messed up from the Hurricane still.

That isn't how you promote a boxing event.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ryan View Post
                Iole's column was ahead of its time, really. Just today, I was heading to the Cotto media workout. I arrived at the venue in Manhattan's financial district and was told that they had changed the venue just two hours earlier, and that it was now at Gleason's Gym in Brooklyn.

It's snowing outside today, and the trains that go to Brooklyn are all messed up from the Hurricane still.

Well there super star, why don't you go promote some fighters, lets see you get all that nice advertising about popping their probes all over their opponents faces.

Instead of criticizing a fight that... will be making quite a bit of money for Cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                  Well there super star, why don't you go promote some fighters, lets see you get all that nice advertising about popping their probes all over their opponents faces.

Instead of criticizing a fight that... will be making quite a bit of money for Cotto.
                  No idea what you're talking about, and your terrible writing skills leads me to believe you're stunted. I'll just walk away and be the bigger man, as I am the bigger man.

I'll be at ringside for the Cotto fight, got tix?

Comment

I bet it does the biggest rating of the year for Showtime boxing, and even if he doesn't sell out MSG he will pack in 10k+ fans to fight a relatively unknown fighter.

I do agree that the undercard is a joke, Showtime and GBP deserve some blame too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ryan View Post

Yea that's pretty unacceptable. Just amateur really.

I think it'll only effect Cotto with fights like this. When he's fighting more popular guys and GBP has a bigger hand in the promotion he'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X