No announcement yet.

Is Joe Frazier really an ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingTito View Post
    I see your point, but Gatti's trilogy was against Micky Ward. Frazier's was against Ali.
    So? He lost it 1 - 2 and this one win against Ali comng back from 4 year break is his only claim to fame.

As I stated earlier, I respect him for his heart and toughness but Joe Frazier is not an ATG.

Comment

Originally posted by Szef99 View Post
      So? He lost it 1 - 2 and this one win against Ali comng back from 4 year break is his only claim to fame.

As I stated earlier, I respect him for his heart and toughness but Joe Frazier is not an ATG.
      Well I would say that win over Ali is a pretty big one. It's certainly better than beating Ward a couple of times. I don't consider Frazier an ATG among the likes of Ali, Robinson, Leonard and Duran, but he's certainly one of the great HW's and an important figure in our boxing's history.

Comment

So is Arturo Gatti.

So was Arturo Gatti.

So...nothing?
        So Gatti-Ward 1 is equal to Ali-Frazier 1 in what ways other than it was an a good fight? Jim Lamply cries on some show about it, and it is all of the sudden the most important fight possibly in the sport?

Comment

That's not Frazier's only claim to fame at all, though. When Ali went away, Frazier earned the recognition of being the best heavyweight in the world by beating some damn good fighters in a pretty good heavyweight era. The reason the first Ali fight was the Fight of the Century to begin with is because Frazier was a great, great fighter and the champ. That Frazier won that fight solidified that he was a great, one of the best heavyweights to ever step in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            That's not Frazier's only claim to fame at all, though. When Ali went away, Frazier earned the recognition of being the best heavyweight in the world by beating some damn good fighters in a pretty good heavyweight era. The reason the first Ali fight was the Fight of the Century to begin with is because Frazier was a great, great fighter and the champ. That Frazier won that fight solidified that he was a great, one of the best heavyweights to ever step in the ring.
            Exactly right

Comment

But where does that rank George Foreman, then? Would Big George be considered an ATG also then? Especially with the comeback trail at 40.

Comment

Originally posted by Augustane View Post
                But where does that rank George Foreman, then? Would Big George be considered an ATG also then? Especially with the comeback trail at 40.
                George Foreman is probably a universal top 5 ATG heavyweight, maybe top 3. He has a real claim after Ali and Joe Louis IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by KingTito View Post
                  Well I would say that win over Ali is a pretty big one. It's certainly better than beating Ward a couple of times. I don't consider Frazier an ATG among the likes of Ali, Robinson, Leonard and Duran, but he's certainly one of the great HW's and an important figure in our boxing's history.
                  Originally posted by raf727 View Post
                  So Gatti-Ward 1 is equal to Ali-Frazier 1 in what ways other than it was an a good fight? Jim Lamply cries on some show about it, and it is all of the sudden the most important fight possibly in the sport?
                  Again, I was responding to that other guy's post. Both Frazier and Gatti were involved in great trilogies and they both were very exciting. Gatti is not considered to be an ATG while Joe, based on one win, is.

Give me a break? What damn good fighters? Frazier fought Chisoras and Tony Thompsons of his times.

The reason the first Ali fight was the Fight of the Century is because great and controversial Muhammad Ali was coming back after 4 year lay off to claim his title back from the current HW champion and that's it. People were interested in that fight because of Ali, not because of Frazier

Comment

Ali fought twice after his three year lay off. Then Ali lost in Ali vs Frazier 1. Ali vs Frazier two Ali held his frazier head. After Forman killed frazier and the time after Ali vs Frazier 2 Ali wanted to fight a third time. The controversy heading into round 15 did Ali want to quit which rumors he did and Futch stop the fight because Frazier couldn't see out his eye. That was a great series and wasn't some blow out. Frazier has only lost to Ali and Forman.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
                      To be honest if he is an ATG then so is Jmm
                      Exactly this.

Comment

Working...
                      X