Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come nobody ever puts lennox lewis on their top 10 heavyweights of all time lists

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How come nobody ever puts lennox lewis on their top 10 heavyweights of all time lists

IS it just cuz he got knocked out by 2 average fighters??

Anyone who doesn't have him in the top 10 shouldn't be taken seriously

Comment

Originally posted by Wupadupa View Post
      IS it just cuz he got knocked out by 2 average fighters??
      It's also partly because his legacy fights were against fighters who were well past their prime; and given that a past his prime Holyfield gave him so many problems, many experts think that a prime Holyfield would have beaten him. Most ATG fighters have beaten some Hall of Famers in their prime but Lewis never did.

Also, he was only the undisputed Heavyweight champion for a short time near the end of his career, and for most of his title reign was generally ranked at #2 or #3 in the division.

That said, I do think he belongs in the top 10, but only just. Monte D Cox, one of the most respected boxing historians, rates him at #9. The International Boxing Research Organisation (whose ratings are a consensus poll of 30 respected boxing historians) ranks him at #12. I personally rank him at #10.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Rado View Post
        It's also partly because his legacy fights were against fighters who were well past their prime; and given that a past his prime Holyfield gave him so many problems, many experts think that a prime Holyfield would have beaten him. Most ATG fighters have beaten some Hall of Famers in their prime but Lewis never did.

Also, he was only the undisputed Heavyweight champion for a short time near the end of his career, and for most of his title reign was generally ranked at #2 or #3 in the division.

That said, I do think he belongs in the top 10, but only just. Monte D Cox, one of the most respected boxing historians, rates him at #9. The International Boxing Research Organisation (whose ratings are a consensus poll of 30 respected boxing historians) ranks him at #12. I personally rank him at #10.
        I haven't seen the 2nd fight but Lewis dominated holyfield and was robbed

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Rado View Post

Holyfield wasn't "shot" when he fought Lewis, he was slightly past prime.

Comment

Originally posted by Method Checker View Post
            Anyone who doesn't have him in the top 10 shouldn't be taken seriously
            Most boxing historians rate him around #10. Some rate him just inside the top 10, some rate him just outside the top 10. I don't know of any credible historian who ranks him higher than #9.

Comment

Because he's British therefore exempt in all US based lists.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl-Hickey View Post
                Holyfield wasn't "shot" when he fought Lewis, he was slightly past prime.
                He wasn't shot, and I didn't say he was. He wasn't regarded as being slightly past him prime at the time either. He was generally regarded as being well past his prime, as I said, but far from shot.

Comment

Originally posted by P.WILL View Post
                  I haven't seen the 2nd fight but Lewis dominated holyfield and was robbed
                  The second fight was extremely close. Even the first was fairly close although it's true that he was robbed in the first fight. Some thought Holyfield deserved the decision in the second fight.

Comment

I would if I ever thought of a top 10 heavyweight list

Comment

Working...
                    X