Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No One Can Strip Cotto of The Lineal MW Championship Of The World.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't it the case that if you don't defend the ring title for 18 months, you're stripped of it, thereafter a new lineage can be created between #1 & #2?

My understanding is that if Froch rematched Abraham now, he would create a new lineage at 168.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
      Isn't it the case that if you don't defend the ring title for 18 months, you're stripped of it, thereafter a new lineage can be created between #1 & #2?

My understanding is that if Froch rematched Abraham now, he would create a new lineage at 168.
      Yeah that's the Ring. But the lineage isn't owned by the Ring. Usually they go hand in hand though. But let's say Cotto goes down to 154, the Ring strips his Ring belt, and then Golovkin fights #2 for said Ring belt and wins. There will be those that will say Cotto is still the lineal champ because he never lost at 160 or retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post

The RING isnt the same as lineal

At least not now that possibly rank 2 vs rank 5 can be fought for it

Lineages only matter if they reflect consensus. For a division that most dont care for, take a look at Hernandez vs Huck. Some places recognise one of those names as a lineal champ, yet consensus is all over and ppl dont care about it.

Lineage is only one way of determining a champion. ABC titles are another. Lets not pretend Lineal = Best. Whilst lineages do a far better job at recognising champions than the ABCs, it is still a flawed system. If theres no consensus, theres no champion, and lineages often dont follow consensus

Comment

Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
          Yeah that's the Ring. But the lineage isn't owned by the Ring. Usually they go hand in hand though. But let's say Cotto goes down to 154, the Ring strips his Ring belt, and then Golovkin fights #2 for said Ring belt and wins. There will be those that will say Cotto is still the lineal champ because he never lost at 160 or retired.
          The only way to get the leneal title without beating the current champ if he moves out of the division is by earning it by beating all the top guys in your division. It's more a universal recognition with no physical trophy handed out. I could be wrong but I think that's the way it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantasiabruja View Post
            I think that all Cotto fan's me included would agree that if he is stripped of his WBC title for not fighting GGG, he would be relinquishing all other accolades at MW. But he will always be the first PR fighter to win titles in four weight divisions.
            Nah, PCrusha and EaterOfAss would find a way to justify cotto being the lineal champion of eternity and he will always be because blah blah blah.

Comment

Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
              THIS. ^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Bardock View Post
                Nah, PCrusha and EaterOfAss would find a way to justify cotto being the lineal champion of eternity and he will always be because blah blah blah.
                But doe, you are still trying to justify plasterito doe. Crazy right?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by PeasantCrusha View Post
                    But doe, you are still trying to justify plasterito doe. Crazy right?
                    Yeah because he was sent to prison like Resto.

If Margarito had plaster and laid the beating that he did on Jotto that night, he would not be here today.

Comment

Originally posted by Tay Roc View Post
                      HAHAHAAH.

Comment

Working...
                      X