No announcement yet.

How to stop looking away

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to stop looking away

Yesterday was my 3rd time sparring after almost 2 months of boxing and I'm having trouble with looking away. If I'm getting hit in the face i can't help but look away. My trainers are calling me out on it every time and I know when I'm doing but I just can't curve the reflex. I heard about using double end bags and slip bags but are there any other methods?

A drill that helped me was having people throwing at me and just blocking punches with my guard. Just parrying and slipping helps a lot. Eventually it goes away.

Comment

In my opinion this eventually goes away with more sessions and training. Once you become used to sparring and getting hit. Remember that in sparring you need to be fully focused, somebody's going to land a big shot on you, if it hasn't happened already, during this lapse of concentration. Two months of boxing is not really enough to develop a lot of fundamentals/techniques to be sparring also, you probably have a lot to learn before you should be sparring others. I've seen this happen, guys that want to start sparring immediately without learning everything properly, and it usually just ends up with them picking up bad habits that become harder and harder to correct.
      Last edited by _original_; 02-06-2015, 03:29 PM.

Comment

A fast way my trainer used on me long time ago was i stand still and force my eyes open and he just keeps tapping me on the forehead for like a round or two then he does samething with a light jab for a few rounds. Then you can start doing light sparring with only jabs, you will know what punch is coming and that it wont be a knockout punch so at this point you can force your eyes open, do this a few rounds. Then try light sparring with all kinds of punches.

Doing this for a few training sessions made me used to having my eys focused on opponent and what he throws.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
          In my opinion this eventually goes away with more sessions and training. Once you become used to sparring and getting hit. Remember that in sparring you need to be fully focused, somebody's going to land a big shot on you, if it hasn't happened already, during this lapse of concentration. Two months of boxing is not really enough to develop a lot of fundamentals/techniques to be sparring also, you probably have a lot to learn before you should be sparring others. I've seen this happen, guys that want to start sparring immediately without learning everything properly, and it usually just ends up with them picking up bad habits that become harder and harder to correct.
          I wasn't the one who asked to start sparring. My coach asked me. Although it's only been 2 months I've been training 6 days a week and the majority of my drills are technical. Sparring was a way for him to pick out what I've been/am doing wrong. But yeah I think you're right about it going away with more training. I did take a big uppercut my second sparring session that threw me back on the ropes, the guy I was sparring had 90lbs on me though so just about all the shots he threw felt pretty solid.

Comment

Instead of some by the book answer. Here's what I do personally.

Double end bag. I assume you know how to work on it.

Hit that and then gradually get closer and closer to it. As in face is in close proximity of the bag. So that on the recoil of the bag, if you don't move your head, you'll get smashed in the face.

Find a rhythm and work on it. Keeping your face close and moving it out of the way as it comes near.

That way you work on an object (theoretical fist) that is moving at your face while keeping your eyes open. All the while, working on your reflexes (head sway) to not be hit by an object (theoretical fist) at all. Plus, you can control the speed at which said object approaches your face. Hit hard, it will come back fast as hell. Soft? It will come back slow.

This is what I practiced. While everyone hit the punching bag full force. Did all this macho, i hit hard, bullsht. I worked on the double end bag and my footwork. Which made me ridiculously hard to hit.

That's just what I personally did. No textbook answer here. Try it out if you want.

PS: I worked at it until I could slip the bag by the smallest of inches. The bag would literally hit my shoulders sometimes as I slipped the bag.
            Last edited by F l i c k e r; 02-06-2015, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X