Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are footballers more athletic than NFL players?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kulilin View Post
    Vertical jumping and short periods of sprinting are unconnected to American football? You should probably tell that to the NFL scouts, I'm sure they'd be interested to learn they've been wrong all this time.

he actually believes his schtick, and will breaking your post into minutiae in an attempt to argue against it.

Comment

• "Athleticism" is an empty term really. Doesn't mean ****. Don't know why Yanks pop boners over it.

Most boxers who are labelled with the attribute of "athleticism" before anything else usually turn out to be ****.

If football players were put on the same weight/steroid cycle as these NFL meatheads, they could be just as big and "athleticised" as them. It doesn't take any skill to be juiced off your ****.

Trying to teach an NFL player the intelligence and skill involved in playing football would be like trying to teach Elton John how to eat puussy or teach Floyd Mayweather how to read.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
        "Athleticism" is an empty term really. Doesn't mean ****. Don't know why Yanks pop boners over it.

Most boxers who are labelled with the attribute of "athleticism" before anything else usually turn out to be ****.

If football players were put on the same weight/steroid cycle as these NFL meatheads, they could be just as big and "athleticised" as them. It doesn't take any skill to be juiced off your ****.

Trying to teach an NFL player the intelligence and skill involved in playing football would be like trying to teach Elton John how to eat puussy or teach Floyd Mayweather how to read.
        so much stupidity and ignorance in this post.

so now footballers are intellectuals???

do footballers have to remember hundreds of set plays and call signs that go along with them the way NFL players do? do they also test footballers for intelligence the way the NFL do at their combine?

yea that's what i thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
          americans know a hell of a lot more about soccer than brits do about american football.

no bias, brih. that's me being honest.

soccer is a very popular sport here among hte middle class; the most popular among school kids, in fact.
          Playing soccer in school when you was a kid does not mean you know the professional game. That's like me saying I caught a few baseballs in school now I know MLB inside out.

It's you clearly being bias and nationalistic.

I'm happy enough to not draw comparisons to a sport I know to one which I do not. The same cannot be said of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
            jumping is one of the most athletic endeavors there is. it's almost purely based on talent. you can hardly train to get better at it. you can develop your jumping ability some, but no amount of training is going to turn a poor athlete into a bonafide great leaper. it's a lot like sprinting, punching, etc. it's a talent.
            I dunno man...clean n' jerk can build your vertically pretty good.

And then again, what kind of jumping are we talking about? Long, high, standing?

do you watch the NBA?
            Basketball is my second favorite sport after boxing. I run ball all the time, you should see me, I just post up and terrorize mans. I dunk when I feel inspired but its weak and one handed, too heavy to leap these days. J/k but I do all that.

But I don't see how some skinny ass PG is all of a sudden a better athlete then a soccer player. Honest.

Or how ball players are better athletes all together, on average. There are some incredible athletes in ball don't get me wrong, some of the best I'd say (in terms of this jack of all trades business we are talking about). But the average NBA player is far from being some uber all around athlete.

And here we come back full circle. So now Derick Rose is some athletic beast? He is skinny and fragile and would probably strugle to military press 135lb but he is a better athlete then say Messi? Any money Messi is stronger then he is.

Because if Derick Rose and Ray Rice are super athletes in US terms while being essentially polar opposites in what they do, then this whole thread so far has been about US/Rest of the world and not so much about athleticism as presumed.

So tender Derick Rose = athlete.

Jacked to **** Ray 'left hook' Rice = athlete.

Christina Ronaldo = who? both Rose and Rice are clearly better athletes.

*I said Cristina because I think he's a *****.
            Last edited by Banderivets; 09-10-2014, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
              "Athleticism" is an empty term really. Doesn't mean ****. Don't know why Yanks pop boners over it.
              Because they heard whatever "sport analyst" saying it, and it sounds as if they actually know what they talk about.

And let's be honest, most of the time the term is synonymous with black/fast.
              Last edited by Y0@NN; 09-10-2014, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• So footballers are really being played down

Comment

• Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
                  I do see your point, but I think there is an over importance placed on combine numbers, and definitely way too much coverage of the combine itself. Plenty of guys the put up "combine hero" numbers that don't amount to shit in the NFL.

Then you got Mel Kiper breaking down players hand size and 40 times to the micron.
                  I agree with you that it's not a definitive measure of how well they'll perform in the NFL. It was specifically the phrase "unconnected to the sport they are supposed to be playing" that got me as if they're just measuring how well these guys can do somersaults and handstands. There's a reason linemen arent putting up 6 reps on bench and wide receivers don't run 6sec 40s, it's because the numbers are relevant to a certain extent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ragnar Lothbrok View Post
                    so much stupidity and ignorance in this post.

so now footballers are intellectuals???

do footballers have to remember hundreds of set plays and call signs that go along with them the way NFL players do? do they also test footballers for intelligence the way the NFL do at their combine?

yea that's what i thought.
                    Football is much more tactical than NFL. Positioning, awareness etc...

Comment

• Originally posted by Free Booty Dew! View Post
                      Football is much more tactical than NFL. Positioning, awareness etc...
                      I didnt want to jump into another one of these threads, but this is just getting crazy. The planning, strategy, that goes into each NFL far exceeds that of soccer. Soccer fans even admitted that coaching isnt a big factor in soccer. Watch an episode of hard knocks to see how much planning, tactics, strategy, video tape goes into each game.

Soccer fans, lets just establish the fact that you don't have a clue about the NFL. 2 months ago there was almost the same exact thread, stating the NFL is too complicated too enjoy. Now all of a sudden soccer is more tactical? This just goes on and on
                      Last edited by shogunn; 09-10-2014, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X