Felix Savon or Teofilo Stevenson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
    What does that mean??
    i should have made the distinction between professional and amateur explicit

communism blows // blew or has blown for the talent pool in pro boxing

the process (and the outlawing of professional boxing) is great for amateur boxing.

nothing against commies, either

lol

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
      I know Rigondeaux was caught and taken back, Napoles had Castro after him until he earned his place in Mexico, Gamboa's story is incredible, Luis Garcia, Mike Perez and Alexis Acosta have had problems with the Cuban Government as well after defecting over here, etc.

Savon seems to have the more names that made something of themselves as a professional on his amateur resume and won more World Amateur Championships, I don't know much about them personally other then they was the cream of the crop of Heavyweight amateur boxing at the time and both were great too watch.
      what is the true diference is the way they won Stevenson was smooth and dominated with his big right hand and yes he lost but when he won he looked much better doing it. felix was effective but it was not always pretty. Hell i remember Jorge luis Gonzalez was regarded better than Felix. when they expect you to win anyway style makes a huge diference in Cuba

Comment

It means that communism has stopped some amazing athletes from going pro so it's a blow to professional boxings talent pool.
        E.g Cuba, anyone that wants to turn pro first has to leave the country which would be difficult enough then spend the rest of the time avoiding capture.
        you seem to not realise that it is the fact of the communist system that those countries had such good boxing programmes in the first place.

you'll find that as well as stevenson, savon etc. who stayed in cuba also boxers such as gamboa and rigondeaux who have left all credit the system for having made them what they are.
        with no communism, the programme wouldn't exist.

savon wouldn't have even been a boxer as he was destined for a career as a runner until the cuban sports schools system decided he should give boxing a go.

it's a little paradoxical perhaps- they create the best but then they can't easily turn pro, but take away the system and cuba would have only ever been a little above average rather a real powerhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by frosty-g View Post
          you seem to not realise that it is the fact of the communist system that those countries had such good boxing programmes in the first place.

you'll find that as well as stevenson, savon etc. who stayed in cuba also boxers such as gamboa and rigondeaux who have left all credit the system for having made them what they are.

savon wouldn't have even been a boxer as he was destined for a career as a runner until the cuban sports schools system decided he should give boxing a go.

it's a little paradoxical perhaps- they create the best but then they can't easily turn pro, but take away the system and cuba would have only ever been a little above average rather a real powerhouse.
          Without the communist system they still created some of the greatest boxers ever and 3 of the most talented ever in Kid Chocolate, Kid Gavilan and Jose Napoles, that's not including Luis Rodriguez, Kid Tunero, Sugar Ramos, Jose Legra, Florentino Fernandez, Black Bill, Benny Paret all of them came before Castro took over and all of them had fantastic careers, Cuba was bound to make great boxers with or without the system as is evident.
          Last edited by NChristo; 11-18-2011, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Without the communist system they still created some of the greatest boxers ever and 3 of the most talented ever in Kid Chocolate, Kid Gavilan and Jose Napoles, that's not including Luis Rodriguez, Kid Tunero, Sugar Ramos, Jose Legra, Florentino Fernandez, Black Bill, Benny Paret all of them came before Castro took over and all of them had fantastic careers, Cuba was bound to make great boxers with or without the system as is evident.
            This. Cuban boxing was actually EONS better before communism.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
              This. Cuban boxing was actually EONS better before communism.
              that's utter rubbish.

Comment

they certainly have always produced some great boxers, as they still do, but there was never as much depth of talent.
                as one example just look at the 2008 olympic squad and those that defected just before which include rigondeaux, gamboa, lara, solis and a number of others. there's plenty of other examples that could be made, that's just a recent one. imagine if all the squad from the barcelona olympics had turned pro!

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano
                  U better watch out or else that ***head JAB is gonna delete your post. Like he did mine. Yea, thats right, you heard me you prik! Who put you in charge here, I truly wonder. Now ban me you loser. Thats all you got left. ****in idiotic capitalist pig. Spreading your hillbilly redneck bs propaganda around here.
                  ah well, whatever whatever. always makes me laugh how people talk about censorship in communist countries whereas capitalists are worse for it. and i've lived under both types of government so i'm speaking from my own experience.

Comment

Originally posted by frosty-g View Post

Well that's absolutely wonderful. A guy that didn't have any desire to be a boxer, is forced to get his brains bashed in for nothing as an amateur. And then denied the luxury of turning pro, so that he can at least make some money for his efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano
                      U better watch out or else that ***head JAB is gonna delete your post. Like he did mine. Yea, thats right, you heard me you prik! Who put you in charge here, I truly wonder. Now ban me you loser. Thats all you got left. ****in idiotic capitalist pig. Spreading your hillbilly redneck bs propaganda around here.

Ask and you shall receive. Your next incarnation will be banned as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X