No announcement yet.

question about push to start ignition for cars

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about push to start ignition for cars

i don't understand how this works or how it is safe??

in a regular car you can leave your door open for a few minutes to run inside and grab something you forgot. assuming you took your keys out of the ignition, the worst that could happen is someone stealing objects inside of your car.

but what if you leave your door unlucked or open with a push to start ignition? can't a trouble youth just sit down and start your car with the push of the button? or is there some type of safety feature included?

also, how do you idle your car? for instance in my regular car i'll pull up to a parking spot at work but i don't shut down the car entirely yet. i only turn the ignition off so i can still listen to the radio and roll down the wondows and all that before i go into work. can this be aquired on a push to start ignition?

and lastly, how do u unlock the car with no physical key? like what if the battery dies on your fob thing?

The windshield is Asian kryptonite

Comment

Originally posted by krazyn8tive View Post
      The windshield is Asian kryptonite
      i've never understood that stereotype because it has never applied to me or my mom. i'm a very good driver and my mom is pretty decent but not the best, i'd say average. her issue is that she does california stops (rolling thru) and she stops at red lights way past the line,sometimes she's all the way in the crosswalk.

she doesn't like driving but i do though.

maybe it doesn't really apply to filipinos. it's probably for chinese and korean. most of the time when i see a fender bender on the road and i see the people exchanging info i do see an asian person now that i think about it. but there's no guarnatee it was their fault.

Comment

You have to have the keys with you or it won't start, they have a transponder that has to be within a small distance.

Comment

They input your DNA into the car, so when you get close the doors just unlock and it knows it's you pushing the ignition button.

Comment

MY VW push start (assuming you are talking about push start and not remote start)

to listen to raido, most radios will start without the need of the vehicle being on or the key being on, but if you want the key on, just quickly push and release the button, do not step on the brake and do not hold the button down

if the keys ever leave the vehicle while the car is on, it will just ding and notify you that there is "No Key" I am not sure if it will ever shut off on its own (so yes anyone can drive away)

this comes off most vehicles with the push start

on my VW, if I touch the cap covering the key cylinder, it locks my car, if my four finger touch the back of the handle, it unlocks the driver side door

assuming the key is in your pocket
            Last edited by bigdlb12; 05-24-2016, 09:51 AM.

Comment

u can still listen to the radio without shutting the engine completely off for a push start car. i do it all the time. the push start is just like a key minus the metal part sticking out.

u put the push start key in, press down on the brake and press the push start button to start up your engine. if u shut your car off but still want to listen to the radio then u just leave the push start key in the ignition and u'll be able to listen to the radio, roll down your windows, etc.

and yes, if your car engine is running while u go back inside the house then anyone can get in your car and drive off, but this is the part about being responsible.

Comment

Push to start? I still have to roll up my windiws

Comment

Originally posted by Furn View Post
                  You have to have the keys with you or it won't start, they have a transponder that has to be within a small distance.
                  oh ok so the key fob thing is basically the transponder and it has to be near the vehicle for anything to happen?

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
                  They input your DNA into the car, so when you get close the doors just unlock and it knows it's you pushing the ignition button.
                  well they do fingerprint stuff on phones now so maybe in the future
                  Originally posted by bigdlb12 View Post
                  MY VW push start (assuming you are talking about push start and not remote start)

to listen to raido, most radios will start without the need of the vehicle being on or the key being on, but if you want the key on, just quickly push and release the button, do not step on the brake and do not hold the button down

if the keys ever leave the vehicle while the car is on, it will just ding and notify you that there is "No Key" I am not sure if it will ever shut off on its own (so yes anyone can drive away)

this comes off most vehicles with the push start

on my VW, if I touch the cap covering the key cylinder, it locks my car, if my four finger touch the back of the handle, it unlocks the driver side door

assuming the key is in your pocket
                  when i say push to start i mean that u push a button to start the ignition. what is remote start? i wouldn't want that lol.
                  Originally posted by WSSD View Post
                  u can still listen to the radio without shutting the engine completely off for a push start car. i do it all the time. the push start is just like a key minus the metal part sticking out.

u put the push start key in, press down on the brake and press the push start button to start up your engine. if u shut your car off but still want to listen to the radio then u just leave the push start key in the ignition and u'll be able to listen to the radio, roll down your windows, etc.

and yes, if your car engine is running while u go back inside the house then anyone can get in your car and drive off, but this is the part about being responsible.
                  no i mean if your car is off but you left the door open or unlocked. can someone run inside of your car and push the button to start your car? or will it not start since your key fob isn't close enough to the vehicle for the urban youth to steal your car?
                  Originally posted by Vicious. View Post
                  Push to start? I still have to roll up my windiws
                  same here.

Comment

push start without need to insert key

push start where you insert the entire fob in the ignition space

remote start, you can start it from a short distance (inside your house) the doors remain locked until you physically go and unlock them, even if someone was to break your window to get it, the vehicle wont go into gear until you insert the key in the ignition to the on position. Vehicle must be automatic and have actual keys (not sure if you can get remote start with a push start fob)

sounds like you have what I have, just keep your key in your pocket, if you want to listen to the radio and roll the windows up/down, turn off your car. quickly push and release the start button (do not hold it down and do not step on brake) and it will allow you listen to radio and roll windows up/down

Last edited by bigdlb12; 05-25-2016, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X