• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Sharkey

Whats your take on him?

Originally posted by Perfect Plex View Post
    Whats your take on him?
    A very good HW,... very tough and durable,... not as big a hitter as one might expect from his build,... he looks to be pretty smart,... knows all the tricks,... hard to stop, and at one time was the champ, I think maybe his greatest performance was in losing to Dempsey, the fight was controversial, and I think Sharkey was going well up to that last round. He must rate on a par with his namesake Tom. lastly at his prime he was very close in ability to the other top HW's and it was a toss up between he and Schmeling..... he must be rated very close to both Maxies. I think Jack would be in the top 4 HW's if he was around today, and P4P certainly #1 HW if he was here now.

Comment

Highly skilled, his mentality under pressure was questioned. More of a defensive boxer than an offensive one for the most part, although he could pull off both roles. Despite a poor KO record, he had a decent punch. The reason he didn't score more KO's is because he fought an extremely high level of competition, percentage wise facing more top 10 contenders than any other heavyweight.

Good upperbody movement, a solid jab and counter-punching ability. One of the first self-promoters in boxing and also one of the first to predict rounds in which he would win. Famous for KO'ing two of the top light heavyweights of the era, Delaney and Loughran, in devastating fashion. Seemed to rapidly lose interest in boxing during the early 1930's. Many boxing experts of the era believed him to be the most skilled boxer of the post-Tunney/Dempsey era when focused.

This is a great early performance of his, arguably at the peak of his career:

More highlights:

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
        Highly skilled, his mentality under pressure was questioned. More of a defensive boxer than an offensive one for the most part, although he could pull off both roles. Despite a poor KO record, he had a decent punch. The reason he didn't score more KO's is because he fought an extremely high level of competition, percentage wise facing more top 10 contenders than any other heavyweight.

Good upperbody movement, a solid jab and counter-punching ability. One of the first self-promoters in boxing and also one of the first to predict rounds in which he would win. Famous for KO'ing two of the top light heavyweights of the era, Delaney and Loughran, in devastating fashion. Seemed to rapidly lose interest in boxing during the early 1930's. Many boxing experts of the era believed him to be the most skilled boxer of the post-Tunney/Dempsey era when focused.

More highlights:

What would we do without you man........... I dip's me lid.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post

More highlights:

I loved his head movement: 53 secs - 59 secs.

Come to think of it, the film quality is excellent for the year, the fighters really move well. You can see the skill level.

To come across something of this quality for Harry Greb would be a gem.
          Last edited by Sugarj; 10-12-2011, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X