Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Malinaggi got with a trainer that could help him tighten up his defense....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Malinaggi got with a trainer that could help him tighten up his defense....

He would run 140. I really wish he would call on Floyd Mayweather Sr. or someone because he has all the tools to be a great defensive boxer just lacks technique. He has the ring intelligence, reflexes to pull of pernell whitaker style of defense, and hands to pull off floyd style. Im not saying he will be as great defensively as those guys or emulate there style perfectly, but he could be a top defensive fighter in this sport.

If he did that, with the skills he has now, he would run 140. I know people will come in here and hate, but I've been around the sport since I was 3 or 4 and can see certain things in this kid.

I was the 1st cat on here to hype up Paulie. I love pure boxers and I love them even more because fans & the media are so biased against them. Everyone wants to see the big punching brawlers with no skills. When I was hyping Paulie, everyone was saying that he was a pillow fisted club fighter who fights cab drivers or whateva. Back then I said he reminded me of an Italian Sweet Pea. Before the Diaz fight there were a million threads & polls about who woud win and no one picked Paulie but me. I kept saying that if both guys fought to the best of there abilites then Paulie would win because he's more talented. Everyone said that there is no way he could keep Diaz pressure off him with those feather fist.

Thats all people talk about. They think you have to be a monster puncher to be good. McGirt turned Paulie into garbage but up until the N'Goduo fight he was a beast. I have always said his problem is the same thing that you just said. He's just like Spinks. Both guys are great pure boxers who dont have the D to be elite. They shouldnt be getting hit nearly as much for how slick they are. If he had a D then he would be a beast

Comment

If Paulie Malignaggi had better D, he wouldn't be Paulie Malignaggi.

This topic is like me saying "If Tim Bradley had more power, he'd be an all-time great @ 140." So please shut up and don't make these topics.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Marvelous View Post

This topic is like me saying "If Tim Bradley had more power, he'd be an all-time great @ 140." So please shut up and don't make these topics.
        Thats not true at all. It doesnt even make sense. People said what you just said, when it comes to things like height or whatever because you have no control over that. However, people can get better all the time. Power is a little different. There are some things you can do to hit harder but most of the time you either have it or you dont. D however, is a technique and you can learn it better. Its like an NBA draft when people say this guy has no jumper but he can learn it. Fast forward 5 years and now that same guy may be one of the best shooters in the league. People use to say that if Pac had a right hand then he would be a monster because at the time he was so one demensional. Then Roach made his right hand better and now he is killing cats

Comment

Not even close to the same thing. Power is more natural than anything. You can lift or do things to improve it somewhat but really if you are a light puncher then you are a light puncher. Defense, however is all technique and skill. Paulie has all the ability to be a good defensive fighter just lacks technique (something that can easily be improved). But no since in arguing with an Idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedb1984 View Post
            Not even close to the same thing. Power is more natural than anything. You can lift or do things to improve it somewhat but really if you are a light puncher then you are a light puncher. Defense, however is all technique and skill. Paulie has all the ability to be a good defensive fighter just lacks technique (something that can easily be improved). But no since in arguing with an Idiot.

Paulie has been a pro long enough to learn defense, and he hasn't done it. He's not going to change. You can keep hoping though.

Comment

I think that Paulie's current trainer is pretty good. He's just unknow and not mainstream like the others but he seemed to have Paulie real focus on the fight for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jesus View Post
                I think that Paulie's current trainer is pretty good. He's just unknow and not mainstream like the others but he seemed to have Paulie real focus on the fight for the most part.
                i agree he had paulie looking much sharper than in previous fights with buddy. it doesnt seem like he needs a switch of trainers at this point

Comment

If paulie tightened up his defense he'd be floydesque minus the punching power

Originally posted by mikedb1984 View Post
                  He would run 140. I really wish he would call on Floyd Mayweather Sr. or someone because he has all the tools to be a great defensive boxer just lacks technique. He has the ring intelligence, reflexes to pull of pernell whitaker style of defense, and hands to pull off floyd style. Im not saying he will be as great defensively as those guys or emulate there style perfectly, but he could be a top defensive fighter in this sport.

If he did that, with the skills he has now, he would run 140. I know people will come in here and hate, but I've been around the sport since I was 3 or 4 and can see certain things in this kid.

Comment

Paulie has been a pro long enough to learn defense, and he hasn't done it. He's not going to change. You can keep hoping though.
                    It's not about me hoping he does...just an observation. Pac went his whole career without a right hand and finally developed one the last few years or so. Its all on the fighter and if he wants to put the work in. Also like I said he doesnt have to do a complete overhaul..just tighten it up some so he isnt getting pounded as much as he does. Kinda like De la Hoya did his last few years of boxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X