Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What/Who does Golovkin have to beat to become an ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

depends what you are calling an ATG

if he gets Canelo to run & vacate, then beats BJS he's definitely HOF even if he retires at EOY 2016

Comment

If he beats Canelo he still wouldn't be an ATG. He needs to more than one great fighter on his resume to be considered an ATG, and it's all too little too late now. He's not young enough to make up for lost time, but it's not all doom and gloom, he did beat Lemieux and that's something he can be proud of.

Comment

I think if he continues to defend his titles and KO all middleweight challengers eventually he will be recognized as a great fighter. Monzon never fought an ounce above or below 160 pounds and neither did Hagler and they are both considered great.

Comment

KOing 22 decent fighters in a row is also something to be proud of. If it was that easy to do then lots of good fighters would be racking up 22 straight KOs. How many pro boxers besides GGG have 22 KOs in a row? None,zero, that's how many. Jacobs won't fight him. Canelo won't fight him. Saunders won't fight him. At his own weight of 160 he is the most feared boxer in the sport. GGG haters are hoping he is too old but I wouldn't count on it. Mayweather went to age 38 without losing and GGG can do the same. Fights don't take a toll on him because he wins so easily.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
            KOing 22 decent fighters in a row is also something to be proud of. If it was that easy to do then lots of good fighters would be racking up 22 straight KOs. How many pro boxers besides GGG have 22 KOs in a row? None,zero, that's how many

Have you ever heard of Deontay Wilder?

Jacobs won't fight him.
            Yes he will

Canelo won't fight him.
            Yes he will at a catchweight. As will Kell Brook.

Saunders won't fight him.
            You are correct here.

In his own weight of 160 he is the most feared boxer in the sport
            No he's not. He's fighting next week so stop it. And before Wade, TJ was going to fight him before he pulled out due to injury. That fight was sucky as well so no hard feelings about that. Last year, GGG fought like 4 times.

GGG's problem is he won't take a fight that places him at a slight disadvantage whether economically or in the ring.

Lara will fight him at his own weight. Why hasn't Daniel Jacobs been offered the opportunity even though Tom Loeffler said he will?

Fights don't take a toll on him because he wins so easily.
            If that's the case, he should fight Jacobs or Lara this summer and be ready for Canelo in September, with no caveats, correct?
            Last edited by Chollo Vista; 04-16-2016, 09:15 AM.

Comment

He just has to be..... GGG..... LEGEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Monzon never fought an ounce above or below 160 pounds and neither did Hagler and they are both considered great.
                Monzon fought the likes of Briscoe, Benvenuti x2, Emile Griffith x2, Jose Napoles, Valdez x2, etc. Who's GGG's "Benvenuti or Emile Griffith" going to be? Daniel Geale and Kassim Ouma?

Hagler fought many times with the deck stacked against him and during times when it was very disadvantageous. Hagler accepted his opponents out of the ring requests in order to get his opponent in the ring.

Hagler did what he had to do. GGG doesn't.

Hagler has Duran, Leonard, Hearns, Mugabi and many more to name a few. GGG has Ouma, Monroe, Adama and Rubio.

Don't compare the two.
                Last edited by Chollo Vista; 04-16-2016, 09:44 AM.

Comment

I dont think GGG can be an ATG now, he'd have to have a miraculous 6 years from now until 40ish to be ATG

He's one of the best of this era now doubt, but then again so was Sergio Martinez at one point.

Comment

KOing 22 decent fighters in a row is also something to be proud of. If it was that easy to do then lots of good fighters would be racking up 22 straight KOs. How many pro boxers besides GGG have 22 KOs in a row? None,zero, that's how many. Jacobs won't fight him. Canelo won't fight him. Saunders won't fight him. At his own weight of 160 he is the most feared boxer in the sport. GGG haters are hoping he is too old but I wouldn't count on it. Mayweather went to age 38 without losing and GGG can do the same. Fights don't take a toll on him because he wins so easily.
                    Wilder had 32 in a row. It's called facing bums.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                      I hate the term All Time Great. Its such a f#cking bs term.

I think GGG is already one of the best guys of this era without a defining opponent on his resume. He's on P4P lists. He's 1 or 2 @ MW in most peoples rankings. I think to reach stardom he needs to fight Canelo or someone else on that level. I don't know who else is around since Ward moved up to fight Kovalev. Gilberto Ramirez isn't gonna enhance GGG's rep. I guess if Canelo doesn't fight him he could ran thru the Jacobs', BJS's & Andy Lee's & get his name bigger than it currently is. Beyond that he'd have to move up to 175 at this point & fight Kovalev or Ward probably.
                      This is why I hate Golovkin. He's the best of this era? He has fought one top 80 p4p fighter. That's great?

Comment

Working...
                      X