Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ali or Lewis: better resume of power punchers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liston, shavers, foreman, frazier as A level power inches, all in or near their primes.

What's Lewis got at or near his prime? Certainly not tyson but let's include him anyway. Who else? Tua? Lol that'd be like me including Ron lyle... Heck Ron lyle would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      Liston, shavers, foreman, frazier as A level power inches, all in or near their primes.

What's Lewis got at or near his prime? Certainly not tyson but let's include him anyway. Who else? Tua? Lol that'd be like me including Ron lyle... Heck Ron lyle would be better.
      For some reason people on here understand the reality of David Tua. On ************* there are guys who argue that Tua could beat everyone pre 1990.

Comment

I would have to pick the inimitable Muhammad Ali, the greatest heavyweight that ever lived and the greatest chin our sport has eve experienced. Foreman, Frazier and Liston were proven at the world level and a fighter like Shavers once turned Holmes inside out.

Other than Tyson, Lewis didn't face any world proven punchers, or anyone who consistently did the job.

Comment

I would have to pick the inimitable Muhammad Ali, the greatest heavyweight that ever lived and the greatest chin our sport has eve experienced. Foreman, Frazier and Liston were proven at the world level and a fighter like Shavers once turned Holmes inside out.

Other than Tyson, Lewis didn't face any world proven punchers, or anyone who consistently did the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
            For some reason people on here understand the reality of David Tua. On ************* there are guys who argue that Tua could beat everyone pre 1990.
            what forum is that? lol

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
              what forum is that? lol
              boxing forum 24. I didn't know they wouldn't let me say that lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
                boxing forum 24. I didn't know they wouldn't let me say that lol.
                lol never been on it. I was on another one, not sure if I can name it here

Comment

Originally posted by MisterHardtop View Post

Thats funny bc Shavers lost all his big fights and beat practically no one but Norton who had suspect chin. Lewis fought guys like Mercer a solid 225 olympic gold medalist and hes not even in Lewis top 5 punchers . Morrison is by far a much harder puncher than anyone Ali , you needed a Foreman or Mercer chin to remotely take a face shot they both had 2 of the greatest chins and his body shots were crippling . I sparred Yuri Vaulin in the late 90's and asked what that body shot fight ending blow was like and he said it literally felt like a baseball bat.

Tyson/ Morrison/ Tua /Ruddock/Golota / Vitali / Bruno / Mercer / 99 Holyfield / all were great punchers Lewis had to fight and all had to knock out much bigger hw's .These guys would be stronger and more skilled than the guys Ali faced , only Foreman of 70's would be strong enough to put with them.

In a top ten list with using just fighters both fought in order would look like this based on one shot k.o power or ability to hurt someone in correlation to how difficult both opposition were .....

Tyson
                  Morrison
                  ( Lewis himself )
                  Ruddock
                  Tua
                  Bruno
                  70's Foreman
                  V.Klitchko
                  Golota
                  96 /99 Holyfield
                  Mercer
                  Last edited by juggernaut666; 09-02-2016, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                    Lewis has a great puncher resume but gave the edge to Ali because he fought two of the hardest punchers of all time and three of the top 15 in history.
                    Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                    "although Ali in his prime may not have been stopped as much as Lewis was".

Ali was never stopped, the Holmes bout was a RTD corner stopped the bout which is a tko to me but not officially.

Ali fought 548 rounds to Lennox fighting 225 rds not much comparison there.

Foreman, Shavers, Frazier 3x, Liston 2x, Lyle pretty much trumps anything Lennox has to offer.

To me Shavers, Foreman, Liston and Lyle were great punchers and hit as hard and harder than anyone Lewis fought.
                    Ray
                    they probably faced the same level of power but ali's competition had far better skill, I'd give it to ali, he fought all- time greats while lewis just fought the best guys available in his time

Comment

Lewis had the better resume' against power punchers because there were just more power puncher in the 90's as opposed to the 60's/70's but the ones Ali faced (foreman/shavers/frazier) were better overall fighters/

Comment

Working...
                      X