Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats some good stocks to invest in during recession?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingDosia View Post
    nother fine point, at one time this country hired people to dig ditches and then fill them back up to battle recession.
    I only know a few people actually making a living investing money. They are preaching alternate energy day and night.

lol i wouldn't bet long term against the oil companies.

Comment

haha, when I read his post I was thinking there are many, many men on skid row who hoped for the same result.
      Question Shawn is it really a "gamble" or do you feel you have more control over your investments?
      I do not feel like I am gambling in the market. If one equates gambling to playing dice, I equate how I invest to playing with loaded dice.

I try and stack the odds in my favor.

Here is an interesting snippet from President Obama which demonstrates why the economy will not be improving any time soon, and why the automakers will continue to be the worst sector on the planet.

"I don't see organized labor as part of the problem," Obama said. "To me, it's part of the solution."

Obama recently signed legislation to strengthen unions...

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
        Ofcourse you have to know when to get in and get out, I wouldn't just leave money in Ford motors indefinitely. Prudent people jumped in on Citibank and got out at the right time.

Oh and lol i wouldn't bet long term against the oil companies.
        "long term" isn't a good way to invest in a recession period. Or we could Go rich dad and look down at long term all together.

Comment

Originally posted by BrooklynBomber View Post
          How about commodities and maybe government bonds?
          Municipal bonds are a great investment, but steer clear of commodities. While you can make loads of money, more than likely, you will end up losing every penny you have.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
            I do not feel like I am gambling in the market. If one equates gambling to playing dice, I equate how I invest to playing with loaded dice.

I try and stack the odds in my favor.

Here is an interesting snippet from President Obama which demonstrates why the economy will not be improving any time soon, and why the automakers will continue to be the worst sector on the planet.

"I don't see organized labor as part of the problem," Obama said. "To me, it's part of the solution."

Obama recently signed legislation to strengthen unions...
            After I made that post I thought of Poker. It is considered gambling, but ask anybody who does it for a living, or is just good at playing and they will tell you it's a skill game. I figure a good invester would see it in the same light.

Comment

Municipal bonds are a great investment, but steer clear of commodities. While you can make loads of money, more than likely, you will end up losing every penny you have.
              When talking about commodities I was thinking more in line of gold and silver, not oil or grain.And I am not even talking about making money, more like keeping money in line with devaluation. BTW, if you are interested the price of that soil enrichment crap when like 600% up and is very needed right now in eastern europe. So you might wanna take a look.

Comment

Thats not quite true. Quite a few companies will go out of business in the coming years, and quite a few stocks will go to zero. There is only a fixed amount of money at play, for someone to win, someone also has to lose.
                Yes, but research by the investor is generally assumed when generalizations like he was making are made. It is foolish to blindly accept specific stock recommendations without doing any research on your own. If you do your research this market is a golden opportunity.
                Last edited by res; 01-30-2009, 02:53 PM.

Comment

"long term" isn't a good way to invest in a recession period. Or we could Go rich dad and look down at long term all together.
                  Yeah, although depends on the stock and sector. In some cases a recession is the perfect time to invest long term.

Comment

nother fine point, at one time this country hired people to dig ditches and then fill them back up to battle recession.
                    I only know a few people actually making a living investing money. They are preaching alternate energy day and night.
                    I am very fond of alternative energy, its my one speculative field. I'm not comfortable recommending anything because they are too speculative, but there are some great ideas an emerging technologies out there. One of my favorites is algae biomass reactors for ethanol production.

Comment

I am very fond of alternative energy, its my one speculative field. I'm not comfortable recommending anything because they are too speculative, but there are some great ideas an emerging technologies out there. One of my favorites is algae biomass reactors for ethanol production.
                      Oh yeah, kids from my college been doing research on that at Standford. They are developing some sort of bacteria that will be the catalyst of all.
                      So far they only come up with a bacteria that turns everything to ethyl.

Comment

Working...
                      X