Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Bernard Hopkins one of the classic, Throwback fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    Great fighters usually don't make successful trainers. Being a multi millionaire doesn't make it easier for Hopkins. I think his ego is too big to be a ten percenter. Some very good ex fighters make good trainers (Mustapha Muhammad, McGirt, Benton, Robert Garcia, etc.)
    This is true, extremely talented people usually can't teach or train more ordinary people that easily. Due to them not being able to understand a more normal persons mental prosess. I think Hopkins is very intelligent and he understands people very well. Plus he has a lot of life exsperience due to him being through lifes up and downs. I think he will want to stay in boxing it is what he loves. And I think he may have a desire to help other boxers just from the odd thing I have heard him say through the years.
    Last edited by Holtol; 12-24-2010, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Holtol View Post
      This is true, extremely talented people usually can't teach or train more ordinary people that easily. Due to them not being able to understand a more normal persons mental prosess. I think Hopkins is very intelligent and he understands people very well. Plus he has a lot of life exsperience due to him being through lifes up and downs. I think he will want to stay in boxing it is what he loves. And I think he may have a desire to help other boxers just from the odd thing I have heard him say through the years.
      I'd love to hear Hopkins do commentary for HBO. He'd be the best. But that would have to be only if he seperates from GBP, which would obviously be a major conflict of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        I'd love to hear Hopkins do commentary for HBO. He'd be the best. But that would have to be only if he seperates from GBP, which would obviously be a major conflict of interest.
        Yes he would be good on hbo he has an interesting personality. At one point I wanted Tyson to commentate it would make the show better. The only problem with Hopkins commentating is he would take over the show. I think some people with hbo would feel threatened by him to be honest.

When I watched Hopkins vs Pavlik I could see after the fight that Hopkins really cared about Pavliks boxing. He said" don't let this ruin you, it can make you or break you." and went on about getting down in his stance and Hopkins wanted Pavlik to rule the division like he did. I could see by Hopkins eyes that he wanted to help Pavlik. But of course he is still boxing so he can't.
        Last edited by Holtol; 12-24-2010, 10:51 PM.

Comment

He has been a little bit of a cherry picker lately.

His run at LHW hasn't been that impressive : picked MW Wright, fought him 2 weight classes above his weight, picked Pavlik, fought him 2 weight classes above his weight, fought Ornelas as a tune-up for PREHISTORIC Jones Jr, fought Calzaghe, which was the best fight at 175, but officially lost a close contest.

Now, he has just fought Pascal, a fighter he was willing to fight only because he knew he could beat him handily. Never ever wanted to get anywhere near Dawson who is a more polished fighter, a harder style for Hopkins.

Fighting at the level he is fighting is a real achievement at his adanced age, but there are some bemols to put here and there...

Comment

Originally posted by BatteredKessler View Post

His run at LHW hasn't been that impressive : picked MW Wright, fought him 2 weight classes above his weight, picked Pavlik, fought him 2 weight classes above his weight, fought Ornelas as a tune-up for PREHISTORIC Jones Jr, fought Calzaghe, which was the best fight at 175, but officially lost a close contest.

Now, he has just fought Pascal, a fighter he was willing to fight only because he knew he could beat him handily. Never ever wanted to get anywhere near Dawson who is a more polished fighter, a harder style for Hopkins.

Fighting at the level he is fighting is a real achievement at his adanced age, but there are some bemols to put here and there...

That would be a good resume for anyone. For someones Hopkins age its fantastic. Jmo.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

That would be a good resume for anyone. For someones Hopkins age its fantastic. Jmo.
              I just don't like the fact that he has been fighting middleweights at light heavyweight

I don't like the fact that he has fought prehistoric Jones either

of course it's impressive overall...

Comment

I just don't like the fact that he has been fighting middleweights at light heavyweight

I don't like the fact that he has fought prehistoric Jones either

of course it's impressive overall...

Since he was a career middle and will be remembered as such. As far as the Jones fight.....it was a farce which held no value at all in boxing. Had the fight been made 6 or 7 years before when it should have it would have been. This was just a payday. Still, you can't blame a fighter like hop for taking some easy fights. Every great fighter has done it.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Since he was a career middle and will be remembered as such. As far as the Jones fight.....it was a farce which held no value at all in boxing. Had the fight been made 6 or 7 years before when it should have it would have been. This was just a payday. Still, you can't blame a fighter like hop for taking some easy fights. Every great fighter has done it.
                  I don't blame him, but when he faced Pavlik and Wright, he had grown into a real LHW, he was no middleweight anymore (if he ever was that is), so he did pick on ''smaller men''

the only natual LHWs he has faced are Tarver (drained), Pascal (and Pascal is a former SMW, but since he looks good at 175, I consider him a natural 175 pounder) and prehistoric Jones

he perfectly matches himself, that's all

it is no secret why he ducked Dawson and Bute...

Comment

yeah. Bernard is a great warrior. my best |Bernard fight was the Pavlik fight.

I expected Pavlik Pavlik to bulldozed him but he really put on a show on that night.

Bernard=living legend

Comment

See my post:

Originally posted by NATAS206
                      Dawson is really the only name one can make a case for, but being that hopkins is in the twilight of his career and after money, it's understandable.

Hopkins has done something pretty amazing, the level of opposition. He's fought a number of undefeated fighters and number of guys with just one loss. Here is just a highlight going back to tito:

Trinidad - 40-0
                      Eastman -40-1
                      Taylor - 23-0
                      Calzaghe - 44-0
                      Pavlik - 34-0
                      Pascal - 26 -1

That's a combined record of 207 - 2. And to think 4 of those guys listed he fought over the age of 40 (everyone but tito). That's pretty remarkable.

And then of course if we go to the beggening of his career he fought an undefeated Joe Lipsey (25-0), Roy Jones Jr (21-0),. Roy Ritchie (14-0), Glen Johnson (32-0) and a handful of guys with 1-2 losses like Keith Holmes, Echols, Allen, John David Jackson, Mercado, etc.
                      You have to consider with Pavlik, hopkins was coming off a loss to Calzaghe and Pavlik was undefeated at 34-0. Pavlik also fought Taylor at 166 pounds prior to Hopkins, so going up 4 pounds for him and hopkins going down 5 pounds was a "meet in the middle" agreement. Further, I think it's clear the way hopkins dominated by his skills, angles and just frustrating the **** out of pavlik, it didn't have any thing to do with size, pavlik was simply outclassed in the ring that night.

Winky was above his best weight but he was a top pound 4 pound fighter at the time. It was an ugly fight to watch on the eyes, but there were technical things that hopkins did that were interesting, for example he completely took away Winky's jab, who has one of the best jab's in boxing. Little things like that get overlooked because it wasn't a crowd pleasing fight. Ornelas was just a tune up, charity event in Philly and Jones, well that was a money/rivalry fight for bhop, did nothing for his resume.

And please explain how hopkins ducked Bute?

Comment

Working...
                      X