No announcement yet.

ATG's, No Controversial Wins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATG's, No Controversial Wins

There are a few of these guys outh there, but not many. How about Marciano and Dempsey, for starters? They had no controversial wins that I know of.

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
    There are a few of these guys outh there, but not many. How about Marciano and Dempsey, for starters? They had no controversial wins that I know of.
    Well, there was Sharkey and Dempsey, that was indeed controversial. At least, though, it was not a bad decision. I am thinking mostly about controversial decisions. I should have clarified that.

Comment

Under today's rules Marciano woulda retired 48-0-1. His first fight with LaStarza was a draw (5-4-1, 4-5-1, 5-5) by todays standards & most states standards at the time, but NY had a tie breaker system back then where basically the ref could override a draw & he had Marciano winning.

"Jessie Abramson of the New York Daily Herald called the decision "paper thin and exceedingly odd." According to newspaper reports, it was condemned around ringside as a miscarriage of justice."

Comment

I was going to say Pernell Whitaker, but maybe the first Rivera fight eliminates him (I thought he won clear enough).

Carlos Zarate never had a controversial win, and he was most definitely an ATG.

Comment

Off the top of my head:

Alexis Arguello

Salvador Sanchez

Homicide Hank Armstrong

Bob Foster

Michael Spinks at lightheavyweight only

Jesus I haven't even begun to consider them all.

Comment

There were accusations coming from Dempsey's former manager, "Doc Kearns" concerning plaster of paris in his hand wraps. It was never given much credence by most of the boxing community. As someone who knows nothing first hand about the possibilities in that regard, I'm undecided.

Comment

Thomas Hearns. Some of his losses and the draw are seen as wins though.

Probably Tyson. His closest win was against Tillis which he clearly won.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
                Thomas Hearns. Some of his losses and the draw are seen as wins though.

Probably Tyson. His closest win was against Tillis which he clearly won.
                Hearns was fortunate to get the decision over James Kinchen. Very tough fight for Tommy.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                  Hearns was fortunate to get the decision over James Kinchen. Very tough fight for Tommy.
                  I agree. Hearns could have easily lost that one.

Comment

How about riddick bowe?

Comment

Working...
                    X