Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone recomend a good book on Benny Leonard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone recomend a good book on Benny Leonard?

I would really like to get to know more about the Ghetto wizard.

I searched the internet and the four corners of the earth and could not find a single book about Benny Leonard, although there were several articles (incl. Wikipedia). Odd, given his stature as an ATG (top 10 p4p, #1 LW). I suspect he might have been too mild-mannered and/or lead too dull a life to fill the pages of a book.

That's the way I see it, I could be wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
      I searched the internet and the four corners of the earth and could not find a single book about Benny Leonard, although there were several articles (incl. Wikipedia). Odd, given his stature as an ATG (top 10 p4p, #1 LW). I suspect he might have been too mild-mannered and/or lead too dull a life to fill the pages of a book.

That's the way I see it, I could be wrong...
      Thank you for looking and I suspect you are right. He is mentioned in a book I have about Gene Tunney and is credited with giving gene the advise to punch to harry grebs chest to avenge his defeat to greb. Benny is also mentioned in the book I have about ray arcel as ray trained him in his comeback.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
        Same here. And the guy had one of the coolest nicknames ever.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
          Mate in one of my old threads I had a little biography of Leonard written by a newspaper journalist back in the 30's and its a great read, it would not class as a book but more like a mini book. Long time ago when I made that thread about links to books and biographies of great old time boxers. There were also quite a few boxing manuals written by everyone from Daniel Mendoza to Philadelphia Jack O'Brien, Fitz and Frank Klaus. There was also a mini book bio of Battling Nelson. I made threads like that for a resource study for BS boxing history enthusiasts. People like me. Please, enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            Same here. And the guy had one of the coolest nicknames ever.
            You'd figure that a fighter with a nickname like "Ghetto Wizard" would have a book written about him. Anyone knows how he earned such a nick? And please don't tell me it's because he's a wizard from the ghetto... That kind of silliness is reserved exclusively for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
              You'd figure that a fighter with a nickname like "Ghetto Wizard" would have a book written about him. Anyone knows how he earned such a nick? And please don't tell me it's because he's a wizard from the ghetto... That kind of silliness is reserved exclusively for me.
              Well he was a wizard, and he was from the ghetto. It was probably originally a throwaway line from one of the street urchins of that time.

Comment

Didn't Nat Fleischer write a book about Leonard?

Comment

Look what the cat dragged in...

Originally posted by Hawk O'Connor View Post
                  Didn't Nat Fleischer write a book about Leonard?
                  Yes!

Comment

He wrote a short article on his toughest fights.

I have the pdf somewhere on my old computer but you might be able to find it online.

Definitely enjoy reading about the Ghetto Wizard and his ring smarts, doing things like tapping guys on the shoulder to disorientate them and faking low blows etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X