Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kovalev vs Ward- How good is the matchup quality compared to the last few decades?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About the prime thing, I maintain that it's the incorrect way of looking at it.

Sure Ward has been inactive over the years, but lets look at other examples like Floyd Mayweather jr. who had some of his best performances right after long layoffs and nobody questioned his prime until later on at an advanced age.

Ward has stayed at a healthy weight during this time, stayed in shape and generally took care of himself and is still relatively young. Secondly he has taken very little punishment in his career as it is, and he is likely a special fighter that can overcome this.

All these factors work in his favor which is why I believe he's in his prime. Lets also look at his recent fights. They were dominant wins and the only thing I've noticed is that he's adjusting to the heavier weight class, I didn't see any indication of things like speed loss, losing legs, less punch resistance etc. He would have had to adjust in 2011 as well if he moved up then, so it would be a mistake to confuse these factors with him being past prime.

Of course it's made worse now that he's gonna fight the best fighter in that weightclass. Kovalev will be met with heads nodding 'see, Ward's not the same anymore' if he wins and from that point on they can go to "Ward would have won 5 years ago". Boxing fans are effectively discrediting Kovalev before the fight already.

Comment

So what will people say if Ward wins?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
        They won't be mentioning this past prime thing then. Lol.

Comment

If it's fair and square, it would be Ward's best win.

If Kovalev wins it wouldn't be so great as I'm pretty sure that people would say that Ward was showing how he was the smaller man, despite having an unprecendet number of tuneups, and that it showed how Ward's skills had deteriorated because of lack of top opposition the past 5 years.

Comment

the two best boxers of the same relative size are figthing in their primes. there's nothing ymore you can ask of a fighter. in this case there's also a classic contrast in style. there can't be a better matchup. sure, there have been better fighters who have fought, better styles that have made for wars. but in 2016 there's no better matchup in boxing. it's the A+ fight of the era.

evaluyating how good these guys are historically will take time. if that's the question you want to ask, ask it after they've retired and we've had some time to evaluate their accomplishments.

Comment

Kovalev got old overnight.

Comment

Just hope that both do not get old overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                  If it's fair and square, it would be Ward's best win.

If Kovalev wins it wouldn't be so great as I'm pretty sure that people would say that Ward was showing how he was the smaller man, despite having an unprecendet number of tuneups, and that it showed how Ward's skills had deteriorated because of lack of top opposition the past 5 years.
                  The number of tuneups were due to the inactivity as well as moving up in weight. If anything he probably should have had even more fights before facing Kovalev. And I didn't see his skills deteriorate in his latest fights. I will not watch those 3 borefests again but I don't remember scoring more than 2 rounds for all 3 opponents combined.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
                    The number of tuneups were due to the inactivity as well as moving up in weight. If anything he probably should have had even more fights before facing Kovalev. And I didn't see his skills deteriorate in his latest fights. I will not watch those 3 borefests again but I don't remember scoring more than 2 rounds for all 3 opponents combined.
                    As far as I am concerned, you cannot really judge how good a fighter is when he is bowling over a tomatocan. Ward has elected to fight this sub-par opposition for reasons only he knows. It might be the fat HBO check. It might be something else. Whatever the reason is we dont know so we can only speculate.

The way I see it, Ward has made a mistake by not fighting a highly ranked opponent before getting in with Kovalev and this, to me, means that Ward enters the ring as a big questionmark.
                    Last edited by BattlingNelson; 10-06-2016, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                      As far as I am concerned, you cannot really judge how good a fighter is when he is bowling over a tomatocan. Ward has elected to fight this sub-par opposition for reasons only he knows. It might be the fat HBO check. It might be something else. Whatever the reason is we dont know so we can only speculate.

The way I see it, Ward has made a mistake by not fighting a highly ranked opponent before getting in with Kovalev and this, to me, means that Ward enters the ring as a big questionmark.
                      Perhaps that's exactly why he didn't fight a top-level LHW, so that's there's a possibility for a question mark and people won't be as hard on him if he loses. If you're a sore loser you'd probably want to create a situation where the guy who beats you won't get full credit. Is Ward like that? With his dirty tactics and 'whatever it takes to win' nature I'm gonna say yes.

But he's still not fooling me. I see a man in his prime right now period.

Comment

Working...
                      X