No announcement yet.

Simon Brown

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simon Brown

This is one of my fav ww's from the 80's and early 90's. Don't believe I've made a thread on him yet, here. Strong as hell, could punch and box. Durable guy, never got stopped at 147. That ko by Pettway was bad tho.

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
    This is one of my fav ww's from the 80's and early 90's. Don't believe I've made a thread on him yet, here. Strong as hell, could punch and box. Durable guy, never got stopped at 147. That ko by Pettway was bad tho.

Loved Simon.

He slowly moved forward and threw tremendous punches to the body and head with both hands. He was a great televison fighter...perfect for the 80's.

I think its sucks that he's probably more well-known by the newer fans as the guy who threw punches while knocked out instead of as a tremendous fighter who was great to watch.

Comment

I remember thinking when he lost to Starling that he wasn't going to amount to much and I still wasn't convinced otherwise when he destroyed Shawn O'Sullivan but the war with Trice sold me on him. He was one tough SOB! If anyone has never seen Brown vs. Trice I, it is a highly recommended fight to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
        I remember thinking when he lost to Starling that he wasn't going to amount to much and I still wasn't convinced otherwise when he destroyed Shawn O'Sullivan but the war with Trice sold me on him. He was one tough SOB! If anyone has never seen Brown vs. Trice I, it is a highly recommended fight to watch.
        Brown was thrown in way over his head against Starling too early in his career. But it's possible the experience benefited him since he was a top contender for years after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          Brown was thrown in way over his head against Starling too early in his career. But it's possible the experience benefited him since he was a top contender for years after that.
          Not to take away from the fact that Starling was a very good boxer, but I agree completely.
          Often a loss makes a fighter realize they have to take it to another level. Make them work that much harder.

Comment

I also believe I heard Simon was injured or something like it against Buddy McGirt. In all fairness to Buddy, one of my fave welters ever, that wasn't the best version of Simon Brown and that was clear.

Comment

Working...
            X