Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pac's upper weight success = wing chun???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pac's upper weight success = wing chun???

had a conversation with a colleague the other day that said pacquiao is such an accurate puncher nowadays because he incorporated wing chun into his fight style. Although im not buying it completely he did bring up a good point because as a martial arts instructor myself I know that the parralels that were being drawn are there.

Pacquiao does have the tendency to throw punches from the tricep.
    He does throw sidearm punches to squeeze past opponents guards
    He does throw punches directly to an opponents guard just to rip it down
    He does a much better job staying on and protecting his center line at the higher weights.

What do u guys think? Anyone with a wing chun background able to comment on this?

Everybody kick ass tonight, everybody wing chun tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Scene View Post
      Everybody kick ass tonight, everybody wing chun tonight?
      What song? I know I've heard those lyrics before, or am I mistaken?

Comment

Comment

LOL...he Posted the wrong Wang Chung video.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Scene View Post
            LOL...he Posted the wrong Wang Chung video.
            yea yea, sorry they all sound the same. Cheesy ass 80's muzak

Comment

I think all that stuff has been done before in boxing, and it's a stretch to call what he does anything other than boxing

if he's doing wing chun then what is freddie doing?

Comment

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post
                had a conversation with a colleague the other day that said pacquiao is such an accurate puncher nowadays because he incorporated wing chun into his fight style. Although im not buying it completely he did bring up a good point because as a martial arts instructor myself I know that the parralels that were being drawn are there.

He does a much better job staying on and protecting his center line at the higher weights.

What do u guys think? Anyone with a wing chun background able to comment on this?

I wouldn't credit it to wing chung, kali (his footwork is very similar) or any other martial arts. Roach does not teach those martial arts and Pacquiao doesn't have a background in any of these except perhaps kali/escrima which is commonly taught in grade school in the PI.

Comment

It's not wing chun.

In my gym we get taught how to thrown vertical jabs to split open a guard too.

Comment

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post

in all honesty, i box, have for years, and just recently took a couple of private wing chun lessons. the instructor was explaining the parallels between boxing and wing chun and now that you mention it i will be looking, trying to find them myself.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X