No announcement yet.

My unbiased take on the Cotto-Margarito aftermath

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ModernTalking View Post
    I'm glad that Cotto got the win but if Margarito eye didn't get injured, Cotto would have been domed. I was crossing my fingers hoping for the ref or doctors to stop it.
    So basically your saying if Cotto didnt hit Margarito so much in the face to mess up his eye, Margarito would of won? yea i can agree with that.

Comment

Cotto showed no fear as well...he didn't turn to pudding at the sight of margs coming for him. Instead he ****ed that vato up as margs was bleeding from every hole in his face by the 4th. Margs took cotto's 0 but cotto sealed margs career

Comment

My unbiased take...

Hmm, why don't you let us, the readers be the judge of that.

Comment

Originally posted by ModernTalking View Post
          This look like the same fight to me just with the eye injury to Margarito. Cotto was doing his thing pounding on Margarito but Margarito just come forward. If no eye injury, I think Margarito would have got to Cotto some where in the late round.
          I agree with this, the eye made Cotto look like he put up a better performance than last time it was a carbon copy of that fight involving a previous injury that took place in the pac fight, and ring side Drs in the corner between rounds asking Tony questions when he should have been discussing strategy with Garcia instead.

Here is exactly how I saw the fight my thoughts can not be more closer to this guy

Comment

Originally posted by Exciterx24 View Post
            Maybe Margarito could have won, maybe not, but I don't think the fight was an exact copy of the first one. This time, Cotto clinched, stood his ground on several occasions, did not lay on the ropes frequently, and pushed Margarito to the ropes. That's what I saw that differed from what happened in 2008.
            very well said cotto dnnt not stay on the ropes like he did in the first fight i was goin for margarito tho and although he did have vision problems cotto was fadin and i do beleive that cotto wuldve been stopped in the 11th or 12th round

Comment

Originally posted by Casual_Fan View Post
              Honestly, I don't think so.

Pedro told El Nuevo Día that he had to rough-talk Cotto in the third because he was getting too confident, and wanted to go and trade with Margo.

He also said that they had two game plans. One that went from mid-to long distance, and one who went from mid-to short distance.

Around round 9, as you could clearly see, Cotto was in the process of going to the rougher, mid-to-short distance fight. He also was pushing Margo around the ring pretty easily, overpowering him.

IMHO, Margo was going down. Still, it's all talk, since Cotto won by TKO.
              Cotto got faily careless in the third and fourth rounds. He started swinging away looking to trade with Margarito. When we saw that in the living room, we all shouted: "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?! DON'T TRADE!"

Comment

Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post
                My unbiased take...

Hmm, why don't you let us, the readers be the judge of that.
                Sure, help yourself but make to sure to point out where I was biased, okay? If you find that I can accept it.

Comment

Originally posted by Exciterx24 View Post
                  Without the eye issue, I think Cotto would have earned a solid decision win. I think it was the gameplan that won this fight for Cotto, not Margarito's damaged eye.

Had Cotto executed a carbon copy of the first fight, I have to say that Margarito might have won again.
                  I agree with everything you say. The highlighted statement is particularly interesting; it's food for thought. I was leaning toward Cotto for the rematch. My reasoning was that, although both fighters have sustained wear and tear after their initial meeting, Antonio was probably more damaged than Miguel. That was a hellish beating that Margarito endured against Pacquiao, the kind that ends careers. Ironically, had Miguel's fight with Manny gone on longer, he might've suffered irreversible damage himself. What would Cotto-Margarito II have looked like then? This is just one reason why a fighter's health must be preserved. Not only is his life in danger, but his career as well.

Comment

I am telling you proof is in Smogers reaction at the time of stoppage, a good referee knows when a fight should be stopped and Smoger is one of the best in the game.

Tony had a medical clearance to fight from the Drs the only point in which he should have been stopped is when it was clear he could no longer protect himself and that didnt happen.

What I saw happen was the fight shifted in the 9th Cotto was leaning forward he just seemed flat, the bell sounded Tony turns looks to his corner and makes a gesture (Glove cutting at the throat) in other words saying Miguel is done here we go...

Then the Dr stops the fight.... after Tonys best round. Nobody is arguing that Miguel wasnt winning on points he was, but there was three rounds left with two rounds that I scored for Margarito... the fight was still very winnable Tony was till fighting back and protecting himself

Bull**** stoppage

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                      I agree with everything you say. The highlighted statement is particularly interesting; it's food for thought. I was leaning toward Cotto for the rematch. My reasoning was that, although both fighters have sustained wear and tear after their initial meeting, Antonio was probably more damaged than Miguel. That was a hellish beating that Margarito endured against Pacquiao, the kind that ends careers. Ironically, had Miguel's fight with Manny gone on longer, he might've suffered irreversible damage himself. What would Cotto-Margarito II have looked like then? This is just one reason why a fighter's health must be preserved. Not only is his life in danger, but his career as well.
                      I'm with you there. It's easy to criticize fighters about heart or courage when it's them taking the punches and the troll poster is sipping Coca Cola in an air conditioned room just relaxing. It takes heart to get in that ring and health is a priority. Permanent injuries are not badges of honor.

Comment

Working...
                      X