No announcement yet.

Breaking News! Cotto's strap up for grabs by Manny Pacquiao

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JM1 View Post
    Francisco “Paco” Valcarcel, lawyer and president of the World Boxing Organization, is not tone deaf.

Valcarcel has heard the cry from the millions of Manny Pacquiao fans and those who devoutly follow the fistic fortunes of Boricua Bomber Miguel Angel Cotto.

As I reported, Cotto has thought he could hold the WBO welterweight title hostage and use it as a blackjack on the head of the Pacquiao-Cotto Nov. 14 promoter Bob Arum.

I caught up with Valcarcel as he was going through airport security somewhere and we had a brief conversation Friday afternoon.

Whatever happens in Cotto’s money play with Top Rank’s top dog, Valcarcel said that Pacquiao fans, Cotto fans and fight fans in general can relax.

“I know that Manny is looking to make boxing history. I can appreciate that as he goes after the very tough Cotto for a seventh weight division world title,” Valcarcel said.

“You can tell all the people right now, the WBO title will be on the line. You’ve got a highly respected champion fighting the Number One contender. It would be ridiculous for this not to be for the title.

“No matter what happens, I assure you that this will be a WBO welterweight title fight. End of story.”

Yes, you can say, well Paco is a boxing politician. That much is true.

But, unlike many politicians, he has his finger on the pulse of the people.

Good call, El Presidente

http://www.examiner.com/x-5699-NY-Bo...Manny-Pacquiao
    Unless Cotto is allowed to fight at the full 147, this decision is categorically wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Motofan View Post
      No title unless Pac wants to fight at the real weight.
      The weight is a non-issue, cotto is just using it as a bargaining chip against pac for more money

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
        Fight was offered at 145 because he knew Manny wouldn't fight him at 147. I am pretty sure that Miguel has no problem fighting Manny at 147 and putting the belt up.
        I agree. The arrangement as it stands now is kinda crap.

Comment

Welterweight division is 141-147 lbs, so technically the fight is a legitimate welterweight bout and should be for the championship.

Comment

Originally posted by whirlwind View Post
            Some other fans here need to wake up. Pac already stupid enough to fight Cotto at 145. If not for the belt you think Pac will risk his health to fight Cotto at 145 where he weighed in 146 on his last fight wearing all that thong? He can fight Mosley if he wants at 140 but he wants the belt at welterweight. If not for Arum and his belt Pacquiao will not bother about him. He give can rematch Mosley, Clottey, Margarito and lost for a peanut who cares? Fighting Pac is his biggest payday on his career. He should be grateful with that Arum and Pac giving him this unique chance.
            co-sign that bro. cotto is making $15m on this fight

Comment

Originally posted by NSX-R View Post
              Welterweight division is 141-147 lbs, so technically the fight is a legitimate welterweight bout and should be for the championship.
              plus the fact that pac is now ranked #1 by the wbo, it means that defending the belt against pac is mandatory in the first place

Comment

Francisco “Paco” Valcarcel, lawyer and president of the World Boxing Organization, is not tone deaf.

Valcarcel has heard the cry from the millions of Manny Pacquiao fans and those who devoutly follow the fistic fortunes of Boricua Bomber Miguel Angel Cotto.

As I reported, Cotto has thought he could hold the WBO welterweight title hostage and use it as a blackjack on the head of the Pacquiao-Cotto Nov. 14 promoter Bob Arum.

I caught up with Valcarcel as he was going through airport security somewhere and we had a brief conversation Friday afternoon.

Whatever happens in Cotto’s money play with Top Rank’s top dog, Valcarcel said that Pacquiao fans, Cotto fans and fight fans in general can relax.

“I know that Manny is looking to make boxing history. I can appreciate that as he goes after the very tough Cotto for a seventh weight division world title,” Valcarcel said.

“You can tell all the people right now, the WBO title will be on the line. You’ve got a highly respected champion fighting the Number One contender. It would be ridiculous for this not to be for the title.

“No matter what happens, I assure you that this will be a WBO welterweight title fight. End of story.”

Yes, you can say, well Paco is a boxing politician. That much is true.

But, unlike many politicians, he has his finger on the pulse of the people.

Good call, El Presidente

http://www.examiner.com/x-5699-NY-Bo...Manny-Pacquiao
                Rubbish,this cant be for a title just because Pacquiao wants it to be a title.He has to fight @ 147 and Cotto has to dictate the rules.Cotto is intelligent,he has lawyers and he will fight the WBA.Manny is not mandatory and so Cotto is not obliged to defend the title.He can only defend for the title if Manny coughs up some money.Reward and risk goes hand in hand and if Manny stands to win the title then Cotto has to be rewarded for the potential loss.

If Manny doesnt change the purse sharing he's not gonna challenge for the title.

Comment

thats the wbo president itself bro. so expect nothing less
                  That can be challenged in th court of law and Cotto calls the shots on this one.The WBO has no say in this because Manny is not manadatory,besides he hasnt fulfilled the conditions.

Cotto wont be arm twistd

Comment

Originally posted by chiyoko View Post
                    That can be challenged in th court of law and Cotto calls the shots on this one.The WBO has no say in this because Manny is not manadatory,besides he hasnt fulfilled the conditions.

Cotto wont be arm twistd
                    why were you able to say that cotto call the shots here? arum says its a title fight, team pac says its a title fight, the wbo says it will be a title fight then cotto's lawyer says its not. so which one is it? and theres no need to change the purse cause cotto is already getting $15m for this fight and paying the sanctioning fees will only cost him about $300k. question for you, what division is 145?

Comment

That makes this fight less of a circus act. But even so, it shows how these sactioning bodies make up their own rules as they go along. We don't need more weight classes than we've already got.

Comment

Working...
                      X