Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain how Mayweather is past it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just look at Floyd......say against Corrales and tell me he hasn't lost a step. He is still above everyone else but before it was like prime Tiger Woods vs the field.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
      Just look at Floyd......say against Corrales and tell me he hasn't lost a step. He is still above everyone else but before it was like prime Tiger Woods vs the field.
      I think he is alot more physically talented against Corrales than he is now, his style is completely different, I think mentally he's alot smarter and probably a better overall boxer than he was against corrales

granted he was better physically at 135lbs than at welterweight in my opinion and at welterweight he is fighting better bigger opponents.
      Last edited by Andyreww; 05-07-2012, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
        No one is calling him shot. That's the problem, too many people think past prime means shot. Past prime just means he isn't as good as he was at his absolute best, which is inevitable when talking about a 35 year old fighter.
        Exactly.

Like you said, just becuase he's passed his best doesn't mean he's shot.

Although he's passed his best, he's still the best fighter in the world. IMO.

But he's obviously not the same fighter he was back in 2006-2007.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
          Can't really compare the two... Different styles and different physiologic and different mentality

Comment

Originally posted by Andyreww View Post
            To be fair the only difference I really notice from him is his Balance isnt as good as it used to be. I don't think theres really any difference between him and for people to call him a shot fighter is hilarious.
            No one has said he's shot. There is a massive difference between past prime and shot. Mayweather is 35 and has been training hard all his life, he's not in his physical peak anymore, although he isn't way past it either.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              Exactly.

Like you said, just becuase he's passed his best doesn't mean he's shot.

Although he's passed his best, he's still the best fighter in the world. IMO.

But he's obviously not the same fighter he was back in 2006-2007.
              I dunno, maybe not physically he isnt. I think he's a better boxer nowadays though patient better aggression and smarter, he didn't look that great against Hatton in 2007, looked incredible against Marquez, bad against Mosley and now amazing against Cotto

I think it's the quality of the opponent that brings out the best in him.

Comment

Handspeed and lateral movement is slower, reflexes slower by a bit... Foot speed slightly slower as well.

Comment

Originally posted by T-97 View Post
                  No one has said he's shot. There is a massive difference between past prime and shot. Mayweather is 35 and has been training hard all his life, he's not in his physical peak anymore, although he isn't way past it either.
                  Nah, I've read a few people on hear calling him "old"

I believe roach said he was old aswell and lost all mobility, I'd agree that he's not the best physically he's ever been, but I think he makes it up with his new come foward style.

I don't think hes a worst fighter than he was when he fought hatton in 2007.

Comment

By the way slower doesnt mean slow.

If a car runs a 10 second 1/4 mile, and comes back the next week to run a 10.5.... Is that car slower?

Yes.

Is that car slow?

No.

Comment

Originally posted by Andyreww View Post
                      I dunno, maybe not physically he isnt. I think he's a better boxer nowadays though patient better aggression and smarter, he didn't look that great against Hatton in 2007, looked incredible against Marquez, bad against Mosley and now amazing against Cotto

I think it's the quality of the opponent that brings out the best in him.
                      I thought he looked great in all of those fights.

I think his peak was 06-07.

In 09-10 he was passed his peak but still close to prime.

I think after the 16th month lay off, he's clearly not the fighter he was in 2006. It's just obvious.

A fighter who's been a pro for 16 years and heading toward 36 just simply isn't going to be in his prime.

Comment

Working...
                      X