No announcement yet.

Question for Pro-boxers and/or trainers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Pro-boxers and/or trainers

What supplements(protein, creatine, pre-workout, etc) are allowed in pro-boxing? Does it vary with commissions?

what about things like coffee or red-bull up to a certain day?

Comment

Originally posted by 120 View Post
      What supplements(protein, creatine, pre-workout, etc) are allowed in pro-boxing? Does it vary with commissions?

there's a list of banned substances, and you arent allowed to take anything with any of those substances in them. i'm pretty sure that the ABC (association of boxing commissions,) has a unified list of banned substances, but each comission is responsible for its own testing (as we found out in texas recently, so i cant say for certain that they all ban the same substances

i'll tell you right away that very few boxers take protein, and even less take creatine, etc

that's used for building the type of muscle that you dont want in boxing. it will slow you down and tire you out. additionally, building your body will push you outside of your optimal weight class

most of your favorite fighters eat like bird's during training, wheras most of your favorite atheletes or bodybuilders eat like horses

in boxing you boil your body down as best you can, you do not build muscle in the traditional sense that you would be if you were adding weight each weak to your workouts and drinking protein and creatine, etc.

some guys (pacquiao most notoriously,) drink protein to help them add weight when they are moving beyond their normal weight classes (pacquiao would be a jr ww or a LW if he ate and trained like a normal boxer, instead of one moving up in weight and consuming thousands of extra calories each day,)

and finally, i should note, that i am not a pro boxer. very few of the guys in this forum are. and most boxers dont undergo strict testing. it costs insane amounts of money to adequately test an athlete, and most guys dont generate enough money for the tests to be economically viable or possible.

world title fights and televised fights are generally those that undergo testing on some level
      it can cost anywhere from hundreds to tens of thousands of dollars and more.

if you're serious about boxing you can ask your coach what you should be eating. you'll have a coach if you are boxing seriously, and he'll know what your body needs.

this is the WADA banned substance list.
      http://www.wada-ama.org/rtecontent/d...NAL_EN_Web.pdf

and you arent supposed to be under the influence of caffine when you are fighting, i believe. i remember margarito and pacquiao's fight experiencing a level of controversy because of a coffeelike substance tony drank in his dressing room

Comment

Working...
      X