No announcement yet.

Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hellboy View Post
    Do you know why Benn Jones fell through?

Not really. If Roy would have came to London to fight Benn it would have happend, and vice versa. I dont blame Roy for not wanting to go to London to fight benn after the mCclellan situation. And i dont blame Benn for not going to America to fight a great younger champ either, like i said he was pretty much washed up after mCclellan. Plus the Don king connection would have been an issue as well. I was actually at Benns last winning fight, it was on the under card of Bruno - MCall.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
      It was because Benn lost to Malinga the year after McClellan. If Nigel kept winning and calling out Roy the fight would have eventually happened. Benn was rated pound for pound number three before he lost to Malinga, with jones and De La Hoya taking the top two spots from memory.
      It was supposed to be made in 95 after the McClellan fight, 96 would of been to late then, Benn was clearly shot by then

Comment

alright, cheers for the info so far...

I've just been watching a TV special (which is on youtube) with Benn and Eubank from 93 that I'd forgotten about, just before their rematch. It was called 'The Best of Enemies', hosted by Jonathan Ross.

At the end they get James Toney on satellite link up and he runs his mouth, disses their mothers, English people etc...Eubank didn't take it too well *laugh*

Comment

Originally posted by stefjonno1 View Post
          And i dont blame Benn for not going to America to fight a great younger champ either, like i said he was pretty much washed up after mCclellan.
          Benn was willing to go to America, to fight Jones. Your second point, yes he was finished after McClellan
          Plus the Don king connection would have been an issue as well. .
          Jones says that King was demanding options on his fights, which is why he didnt sign. He signed with King later on though

Comment

Originally posted by Shazam! View Post
            alright, cheers for the info so far...

I've just been watching a TV special (which is on youtube) with Benn and Eubank from 93 that I'd forgotten about, just before their rematch. It was called 'The Best of Enemies', hosted by Jonathan Ross.

At the end they get James Toney on satellite link up and he runs his mouth, disses their mothers, English people etc...Eubank didn't take it too well *laugh*
            I dont mind English people, but all of their fighters are bums
            James Toney, 96

Comment

Originally posted by Hellboy View Post
              It was supposed to be made in 95 after the McClellan fight, 96 would of been to late then, Benn was clearly shot by then

Yep never had anything to do with the Malinga fight, which i was at by the way. The hype for Benn-Jones was straight after the MCclellan fight, it was then or never.

Originally posted by hellboy
              Benn was willing to go to America, to fight Jones

Yeah i remember him saying this, im sure i remember Roy saying he'd come to the UK aswell, i think it was half hearted gestures to be honest.
              Last edited by stefjonno1; 03-26-2010, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Yes Benn was not quite the same after McClellan. I dont remember everyone jumping up and down for a Jones fight straight after though. I do remember Benn calling out Jones in 1996 though before losing, he'd promised McClellan $1,000,000 from the purse if the fight came to fruition.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                  It was because Benn lost to Malinga the year after McClellan. If Nigel kept winning and calling out Roy the fight would have eventually happened. Benn was rated pound for pound number three before he lost to Malinga, with jones and De La Hoya taking the top two spots from memory.
                  Which ratings were those? I'm a massive Benn fan, bu I'd be surprised at him being that highly rated in America.

Comment

Yep never had anything to do with the Malinga fight, which i was at by the way. The hype for Benn-Jones was straight after the MCclellan fight, it was then or never.
                    Technically Benn was never a Don King fighter either, King had 3 fight options which ran out with the McClellan fight. Benn wouldn't sign another 3 fight deal until he returned to the ring to fight Nardiello.

Comment

I'm sure I heard Toney get in a comment like 'all your fighters are bums...and your women too' but the second part was difficult to make it due to Wossy talkin over him.

Comment

Working...
                      X