Tax Inequality - a heartbreaking look

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Inequality - a heartbreaking look

Very touching video...The vary last part of the video says it all:

there are 1,117,000 people working 40 hours a week at or below 7.25$ an hour. by increasing that pay to 10.00$ an hour each of those people would pay an extra 1,160$ a year in taxes. That is 1.36 billion more a year collected in taxes, then you also have the combined total of 5.3 billion more each year to be put back into the American economy.

and that's with out even mentioning the 1.8 million working part time at min wage or below and the millions who make more than 7.25 but less than 10$.

you would also see about 12% of all people on welfare making enough to get off it, and a much larger portion would see reductions in the benefits they are eligible for.

You cant build up the bottom by tearing down the top, but if you can force the top to restructure itself such that they inherently build up the bottom through min wage laws based on a living wage they end up doing a pretty good job while keeping themselves in good condition too.

Comment

Silly video.

http://www.businessinsider.com/no-th...-taxes-2013-12

But that top 40% group includes single people with incomes as low as $51,100 and couples with incomes of $72,300. Those people aren't poor but it's a real stretch to say they're rich.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/no-th...#ixzz3Eo1kjnH0
      Last edited by Da Machine; 09-30-2014, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
        ....but if you can force the top to restructure itself such that they inherently build up the bottom through min wage laws based on a living wage they end up doing a pretty good job while keeping themselves in good condition too.
        If the solution is as simple as just raising the minimum wage, why stop at $10/hr? Why not raise it to $100/hr?

Comment

What are the percentages of income contributed in tax? Or which tax bracket are the richest in.

That video is useless if its simply showing the dollar value contributed by the richest vs the poor.

No **** that a billionaire paying 10% tax contributes a lot more tax than a 35k worker contributes paying 6%...

Take the top 10% and even at the lowest tax rate they will be contributing a lot more tax then the bulk of the lower income contributors.

The problem people have is with someone making a 1 000 000$ paying 42% tax and someone making 100 000$ paying 40% tax.
          Last edited by Banderivets; 09-30-2014, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
            If the solution is as simple as just raising the minimum wage, why stop at $10/hr? Why not raise it to $100/hr?
            did you read the part you quoted? are you familiar with strawman arguments?

I think not only did you miss the the point of my post but i think your accusing me of claiming that raising min wage to 10$ is going to solve everything....

For your reading pleasure

....but if you can force the top to restructure itself such that they inherently build up the bottom through min wage laws based on a living wage they end up doing a pretty good job while keeping themselves in good condition too.

Comment

did you read the part you quoted? are you familiar with strawman arguments?

I think not only did you miss the the point of my post but i think your accusing me of claiming that raising min wage to 10$ is going to solve everything....

For your reading pleasure
              Yes, I read your post. My question was not a strawman argument in any way. You advocate the government setting the minimum wage instead of the free market setting wages. My questions relate to that specific issue. Can you please answer my questions now?

And no, I did not say it would solve everything. Someone using Debate terminology should know you cannot infer something that was not said. If you need me to clarify something I have said, please ask.

As to FDR, you can quote him all day long. I need you to post some quotes by our Founders about the Federal Government's role in terms of mandating wages the private sector must pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Machine View Post
                That article just added to the video. That the rich do pay more then their 'fair share' either way you slice it. If poor/middle people have a problem paying payroll taxes and property taxes...then they should take it up with their individual state and advocate abolishing Social security. Not scream that the rich need to pay more.

Comment

You cant build up the bottom by tearing down the top, but if you can force the top to restructure itself such that they inherently build up the bottom through min wage laws based on a living wage they end up doing a pretty good job while keeping themselves in good condition too.
                  You still sporting that silly signature about Capitalism? And did you just parrot off Obama Administration talking points...albeit in a poorly devised fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
                    Yes, I read your post. My question was not a strawman argument in any way. You advocate the government setting the minimum wage instead of the free market setting wages. My questions relate to that specific issue. Can you please answer my questions now?

And no, I did not say it would solve everything. Someone using Debate terminology should know you cannot infer something that was not said. If you need me to clarify something I have said, please ask.

As to FDR, you can quote him all day long. I need you to post some quotes by our Founders about the Federal Government's role in terms of mandating wages the private sector must pay.
                    "If the solution is as simple as just raising the minimum wage, why stop at $10/hr? Why not raise it to $100/hr? "

no you didnt read my post and yes you did present a strawman.

It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations

Comment

Working...
                    X