No announcement yet.

Martinez vs Chavez Jr : that 12th round is a problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
    I am by no means a Chavez Jr fan, I was rooting for Martinez and I really enjoyed watching him school the spoiled brat for 11 rounds. The real champion got his belt back, he got the fame and recognition, and the hypejob is now beltless and disgraced. That's all I wanted, the fight restored some sanity in boxing.

With that being said, what happened in that final round is important. I've seen a lot of people dismiss that round or sweep it under the rug, either blinded by their love of Martinez or their hatred of Chavez Jr. Saying things like "one round does't matter" "Martinez just got careless" or "Chavez Jr couldn't finish him, neener-neener". People too happy about the result and not willing to look into the details of that result.

Martinez got hit by 37 power punches in a single round, that is a problem. If Chavez Jr was a great fighter I wouldn't hold it against Martinez but he's not. He's a decent fighter at best who wins his fights because he enjoys a 20 lb advantage over his opponents. He's not fast, he's not accurate and he's not very skilled. He threw basic punches from regular angles and most of them landed flush, that is a problem. Martinez got hurt and dropped but instead of clinching, moving away or moving his head, he just stood there like a deer in the headlights and threw some flicking jabs while Chavez was snapping his head from side to side with power shots. The usually inaccurate Chavez had a hard time missing him. That is a problem.

Forget who you like/dislike, forget which countries these guys are from, just block all that stuff out, watch the 12th round again and tell me if it's just a little mishap that needs to be forgotten :

I don't understand it either. These Martinez fans even give him credit for Chavez's KD in the 12th, It's hilarious. I knew Jr could do it, all he has to do is work on his defense when closing in the distance. IF he perfects that aspect he can do a lot of damage without taking as much himself, regardless of how good his chin, he needs defense.
    Problem is that Roach doesn't teach proper defense on the inside.

Comment

The KD was more a product of Sergio being so overconfident after dominating for 11 rds more than anything, its pretty meaningless he battled back and was ok at the end, its not like he was lucky to escape the rd.

Don't want to see a rematch it was non competitive other than the 12th rd drama.

Comment

Originally posted by TouchyAndalou View Post
        For me, it's not the amount of power punches that Chavez landed in that last round that is a problem. Martinez was badly hurt after all and his legs and reactions were impaired, so it's no surprise he shipped more punishment. The issue in a rematch is that Chavez now knows that he can hurt Martinez. That's different than simply thinking that if you land flush you'll hurt him or believing that he's eventually going to wear down. Chavez now knows that he has the power to trouble Martinez, and, if he's able to deliver it, quite possibly end the fight. That could give him the encouragement to take more risks than he took in the first fight and put it on Martinez earlier.

Forget about the scores - the first fight was a tough one for Martinez, even outside of the last round. He had to be busier to keep Chavez off him and more focused for 12 rounds than he did against any of his recent opponents. Now that Chavez has the confidence of that final round behind him, a rematch could be tougher.
        This, specially if we see a strong well conditioned Jr (like in the Lee fight). Very risky fight for Martínez, ridiculous considering he is p4p and what kind of bum Jr is.

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
        Chavez is a top 5 MW who enjoys a nice weight advantage on fight night. He knocks down an injured/tired Martinez with almost a minute to go in the last round. Sergio got up and made it out of the round, is that not enough? You make it sound as if Sergio has a bad chin or if he can't take a punch.
        Don´t get lost, the point is that Martínez has been tasting the canvas too much, he just doesn´t have the chin to deal with a guy like Golovkin... nor the craft to avoid getting caught with something dangerous from Pirog. Not saying that those guys are better than Martínez, just that he has huge chances of losing to them. Those would be interesting fights, not Martínez fighting a small dude like Mayweather or unproved b boxer like Canelo... the guys he was looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantomas View Post
          This, specially if we see a strong well conditioned Jr (like in the Lee fight). Very risky fight for Martínez, ridiculous considering he is p4p and what kind of bum Jr is.

Don´t get lost, the point is that Martínez has been tasting the canvas too much, he just doesn´t have the chin to deal with a guy like Golovkin... nor the craft to avoid getting caught with something dangerous from Pirog. Not saying that those guys are better than Martínez, just that he has huge chances of losing to them. Those would be interesting fights, not Martínez fighting a small dude like Mayweather or unproved b boxer like Canelo... the guys he was looking for.
          He did not get up visibly hurt from his knockdowns with Macklin/Williams/Pavlik. He went down against Chavez, recovered and finished the round.

So, you think Mayweather/Martinez and Canelo/Martinez will not be competitive? I'd rather see Martinez get a shot at Canelo instead of Floyd, who's become known as an opportunist. As long as Sergio doesn't fight Chavez next, then i don't care who he fights.

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
            Not sure how much the knee injury affect his mobility after the first KD, but it sure as hell didn't help. Also after his 100+ punch output in the 11th round, he may have been a bit gassed as well.

Getting caught by a straight right and left hook over and over is not good, but may not have entirely do to technical limitations, more physical. I just can't Chavez Jr. getting him in that situation again.
            That's my point. Tired or not, an elite fighter is not supposed to get hit by the same punches over and over again

Originally posted by SPREAD View Post
            Margarito has been knocked down and quit against Santos a C level fighter.
            No he didn't.

Chavez is a top 5 MW who enjoys a nice weight advantage on fight night. He knocks down an injured/tired Martinez with almost a minute to go in the last round. Sergio got up and made it out of the round, is that not enough? You make it sound as if Sergio has a bad chin or if he can't take a punch.
            I didn't mention Sergio's chin once. It's not about the knockdown, it's about what he did after he got up. He ate right hands and left hooks and threw a few weak jabs here and there. It's like he had no gameplan whatsoever.

Comment

That fight in my opinion made both guys looked bad.

Going in, everyone knew Martinez was going to roll that kid. I don't think anybody gave Chavez a chance of even going 12. Martinez schooling him was nothing special since everybody expected it. But Chavez wasn't even a LITTLE competitive, so he ended up looking even worse than most people thought he was.

The fact that Martinez almost got KO'd by him is just flat out embarrassing.

I honestly think it was a blow to each guy's reputation. But this is boxing and fans are ******ed so each country probably considers their guy pound for pound number one after it.

Comment

A motivated chavez would win a rematch, let's be honest here guys and forget the hate. Chavez with a new trainer and focused will put martinez out by the tenth round.

Comment

Originally posted by ROYistheGOAT View Post
                  A motivated chavez would win a rematch, let's be honest here guys and forget the hate. Chavez with a new trainer and focused will put martinez out by the tenth round.
                  LMAO. Classic

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoFuego View Post
                    LMAO. Classic
                    The guy almost knocked him out without a gameplan and a trainer who couldn't motivate him and didn't believe in him. Now imagine if he had a trainer who could actually give him a gameplan, have him motivated, and believes in him, you dont think that would make a difference? Silly

Comment

He did not get up visibly hurt from his knockdowns with Macklin/Williams/Pavlik. He went down against Chavez, recovered and finished the round.

So, you think Mayweather/Martinez and Canelo/Martinez will not be competitive? I'd rather see Martinez get a shot at Canelo instead of Floyd, who's become known as an opportunist. As long as Sergio doesn't fight Chavez next, then i don't care who he fights.
                      Who knows?, Martínez could come too drained and weak, or too big and strong for those guys... and of course too good for Canelo. Pirog and Golovkin are better fights, Martínez needs to risk something soon if he wants to become hof... I´m even thinking of Ward, Martínez was 176 pounds last fight so a match at 168 doesn´t sound crazy.

Comment

Working...
                      X