No announcement yet.

Boxers in Different Weights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxers in Different Weights

I thought I'd post something a little fun for once in this section. Which fighters do you guys think would have done well in different weight divisions in their era...obviously this is all imaginary.

Example, imagine Ali was actually a welterweight during the 70s, how would he have done with that crop of fighters?

Or Holyfield as a middleweight in the mid to late 90s?

come on, someone must have some ideas, why's everyone gotta be so serious?

Comment

It's hard enough talking about fighters of a different era but in the same weight class fighting each other. Different era and (drastic) different weight class is nonsense.

Comment

Whatever, that's a silly ass sig yer sporting sonny. Ali has better KOs. Better resume wise and kinesiology. I'm well more interested in getting that sorted.

Jake LaMotta as a HW.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
          Whatever, that's a silly ass sig yer sporting sonny. Ali has better KOs. Better resume wise and kinesiology. I'm well more interested in getting that sorted.

Jake LaMotta as a HW.
          I was given it, now shut up lol

LaMotta as a heavy in the 40s and 50s? How do you think he would have done with his attributes against Charles, Moore, Marciano and co?

Comment

You mentioned HW's.. You cannot compare HW's to limit class boxers because they play somewhat differently.

To fight at limit weights you need to have a measure of everything to be successful.

To be good at HW you can be measured but you only need to be able to do 1 or 2 things but do them exceptionally well.

Almost like a different sport.

Most HW's can't really be good scaled down (unless they were sub HW's to start with and good). Some could. Not Ali, no way.. Holyfield, yeah sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
              You mentioned HW's.. You cannot compare HW's to limit class boxers because they play somewhat differently.

To fight at limit weights you need to have a measure of everything to be successful.

To be good at HW you can be measured but you only need to be able to do 1 or 2 things but do them exceptionally well.

Almost like a different sport.

Most HW's can't really be good scaled down (unless they were sub HW's to start with and good). Some could. Not Ali, no way.. Holyfield, yeah sure!
              That's true. Smaller guys moving up, with little guy skills, would do better than a HW, with HW skill, moving down.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
                That's true. Smaller guys moving up, with little guy skills, would do better than a HW, with HW skill, moving down.
                That's my point there..

Except for power..

A lighter weight fighter moving up to a heavier weight on purpose (not naturally) normally suffers power wise. At HW the step up in power in most dramatic by virtue of being unlimited jump.

Sometimes the skills of the former CW allows the fighter to be good at HW (Haye's speed and power that did transfer and reflexes gained from fighting faster guys at CW) and Holyfield, a well rounded boxer that carried all his qualities up to the heftier range. Not the best defender but made up for that with his very solid chin which made the transfer to HW very well!

Of course, fighters like Ali, WK, VK, Lewis, that relied on their height for success as part of their style, or big bull type fighters that rely on their weight would of course be in big trouble with those attributes taken away.

Without his range, Ali would have performed comparably to say Quarry..

Without size WK would be no more effective than say, Ruiz!
                Last edited by Elroy1; 07-11-2014, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X