Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESPN special on Leonard-Duran II

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never eat Steak and drink Orange juice for breakfast, it's a lethal combination for the stomach.

Comment

I thought it was just a weak sauce Ray stroke. And, I like Ray, but...

Comment

Although the ending was a bit anti-climatic. It was an incredibly well done piece. Thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end.

Highly recommended viewing. Particularly for those that weren't around to follow the era.

Comment

I like both fighters, it was very good IMO and definitely wasn't a Leonard fluff piece. Why would they ask Leonard why he ducked Hagler until 1987 in a documentary about Duran-Leonard?
          The film also concludes that Duran basically deserves a pass for "no mas" and it should not define or shape his legacy as a fighter. Why Duran quit is the obvious question to ask. That didn't make it anti-Duran or pro Leonard. It praised both fighters as ATG's.

Comment

Originally posted by Panthershock View Post
            I like both fighters, it was very good IMO and definitely wasn't a Leonard fluff piece. Why would they ask Leonard why he ducked Hagler until 1987 in a documentary about Duran-Leonard?
            The film also concludes that Duran basically deserves a pass for "no mas" and it should not define or shape his legacy as a fighter. Why Duran quit is the obvious question to ask. That didn't make it anti-Duran or pro Leonard. It praised both fighters as ATG's.
            I didn't appreciate that it was centered on Leonard giving Duran forgiveness, when there was no indication that Duran was even seeking it. And why should he? Leonard won that fight, made plenty of money doing it, and still went on to even bigger success. He had no apology coming. It seemed to me that the Panama segments were cheesy and that Leonard came off looking like an egotist.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              I didn't appreciate that it was centered on Leonard giving Duran forgiveness, when there was no indication that Duran was even seeking it. And why should he? Leonard won that fight, made plenty of money doing it, and still went on to even bigger success. He had no apology coming. It seemed to me that the Panama segments were cheesy and that Leonard came off looking like an egotist.
              I agree mostly about Leonard looking that way, and that segment being overdone a bit. Dont think the film itself centered on that, or Leonard wanting forgiveness. It was just a part of gathering perspectives about the events. The director says that the main point wasn't to have Leonard's question answered, but just to have them meetup and talk.

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
                Not sure if I'll watch this, getting tired of them going over the same ground over and over again, always the new Ali Docu, another Leonard one, there has got to be a lot more boxing stories worth doing documentaries on than all the hagiographic ones they consistently churn out.
                I'm firmly in your camp on this one. It's time to stop exhuming the skeletal remains of this event...

Comment

Old news, yet – one more side of Duran’s personality …

“1989: Duran (belying his fierce ring image) hugs and kisses former champ Esteban De Jesus, who is dying of AIDS.
                  Little was known about HIV/AIDS at the time and whether or not simple human contact could lead to spreading the disease, but Duran didn’t care as he embraced his rival and friend. De Jesus died one month later, 37 years old.”

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
                    Old news, yet – one more side of Duran’s personality …

“1989: Duran (belying his fierce ring image) hugs and kisses former champ Esteban De Jesus, who is dying of AIDS.
                    Little was known about HIV/AIDS at the time and whether or not simple human contact could lead to spreading the disease, but Duran didn’t care as he embraced his rival and friend. De Jesus died one month later, 37 years old.”

Damn! For being such an animal in the ring, Duran was a good soul outside of it.

Comment

If I were looking for honesty and straight forwardness I'd be looking at Roberto. Leonard is Leonard and its ALL about him, been like that since he was a kid! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                      X