Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riddick Bowe a top 5 ATG at HW

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think he was even close. I don't agree with Lewis being number 1 either. It's your list is you you can put whoever you want in the top 5 just don't expect many to agree with you. Bowe would have lost to Lewis so he avoided that loss by refusing to fight him. Bowe was inconsistent and had a short prime. He wasn't a hard trainer either. I think a prime Foreman would have knocked him out. Larry Holmes would have beat him and so would Ali. He was a good heavyweight but hardly the best of all time. I am not sure but I think some of the old timers like Joe Louis and Marciano would beat him although it's hard to compare boxers of such far apart eras.

Comment

Sorry about the double you. My only excuse is I just woke up.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoxingXpert View Post
        Am I the only one here who feels that Riddick Bowe is the most underrated heavyweight boxer of all time? I consider him among the top 5. My list is:

1: Lennox Lewis
        2: Vitali Klitschko
        3: Riddick Bowe
        4: Evander Holyfield
        5: Muhammad Ali
        How do you go from Lewis at one which could be made a case for to Bowe at number 3 ?Bowe is an atg based on what? 2 wins over the much smaller Holyfield and 2 muggings by Golota including dumping a HW belt in the garbage to avoid a mandatory Lewis on national t.v...is this an atg ?

Comment

While these ratings are subjective, Bowe should not be top 5. He burned out too quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
            I don't think he was even close. I don't agree with Lewis being number 1 either. It's your list is you you can put whoever you want in the top 5 just don't expect many to agree with you. Bowe would have lost to Lewis so he avoided that loss by refusing to fight him. Bowe was inconsistent and had a short prime. He wasn't a hard trainer either. I think a prime Foreman would have knocked him out. Larry Holmes would have beat him and so would Ali. He was a good heavyweight but hardly the best of all time. I am not sure but I think some of the old timers like Joe Louis and Marciano would beat him although it's hard to compare boxers of such far apart eras.
            Marciano /Louis beating Bowe ? Lets not get crazy ,the thread is about ATG's not head to head match ups which would look something like this .....

Comment

Am I the only one here who feels that Riddick Bowe is the most underrated heavyweight boxer of all time? I consider him among the top 5. My list is:

I am sure you are the only one here who feels Bowe was the most underrated heavyweight of all time. Why would he be so underrated? I think he has been rated correctly and you have him vastly overrated. I have been a boxing fan for many decades and I have never before seen heard or read about Bowe being one of the 3 best heavyweights of all time. Bowe might be ranked the 10th best of all time maybe, but number 3, never.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                Marciano /Louis beating Bowe ? Lets not get crazy ,the thread is about ATG's not head to head match ups which would look something like this .....
                You don't know for sure who would win any more than I do. They have no common opponents and I did say it was hard to compare boxers from eras so far apart but I guess you skipped that part of my post. I can tell you this. A whole fuc of a lot of fans and experts rank Louis and Marciano higher than Bowe so I assume they think they would beat him head to head. I saw them all fight on film and Louis and Marciano were damn good. I see no reason to rule out them beating Bowe head to head. Don't you think they had good fighters back then??????????? You know that is also the Ray Robinson era and he is certainly considered the equal of any middleweight. I doubt Marciano and Louis would be big underdogs to Bowe if a fight between them in their primes was possible. It's all a matter of opinion and yours isn't any more correct than mine.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                  You don't know for sure who would win any more than I do. They have no common opponents and I did say it was hard to compare boxers from eras so far apart but I guess you skipped that part of my post. I can tell you this. A whole fuc of a lot of fans and experts rank Louis and Marciano higher than Bowe so I assume they think they would beat him head to head. I saw them all fight on film and Louis and Marciano were damn good. I see no reason to rule out them beating Bowe head to head. Don't you think they had good fighters back then??????????? You know that is also the Ray Robinson era and he is certainly considered the equal of any middleweight. I doubt Marciano and Louis would be big underdogs to Bowe if a fight between them in their primes was possible. It's all a matter of opinion and yours isn't any more correct than mine.
                  I know well enough a slow 5'10 185 pounder does not beat a polished 6'5 230 plus pounder ....no! You dont need credibility to use common sense ,Do you really think Louis's chin holds up to Bowe as well ?Do you think Bowe would have to worry about a 5'9 230 pound Tony Galento or 170 pounder Billy Conn who not only gave Louis two competitive fights he out boxed him in one for 12 rounds? The idea that either Louis or Marciano beats a Bowe leaves one to think what actually some are watching when they look at fights!

Comment

The guy who got dominated by golota is your number three? That list is ****. Bowe isn't even top 20.

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
                      The guy who got dominated by golota is your number three? That list is ****. Bowe isn't even top 20.
                      Beat me to it. If Golota was'nt a mental case Bowe would of took two L's there. Bowe was a good fighter but he would'nt even crack my top ten in the last 30 years much less all time. Plus him avoiding Lewis the way he did was some ***** ****.

Comment

Working...
                      X