Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canelo/Khan: HBO not releasing "awful" numbers. Glaser: 322k is the number! PPV Dead?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PPV is dead is the new boxing is dead isn't it?

What people are trying to ignore, for various reasons, is the last decade were extremely heavily propped up by Manny & Floyd. From 2006 to 2015 Manny & Floyd sold ~32M of the ~42M Boxing PPV's sold (76%).

The PPV market was dependent on both of them. Now that they are out of the game there is bound to be a period of re-growth of that market with new names & it'll be harder to create names as no one really captured the publics imagination like Floyd & Manny. And while Manny lost a couple fights no one "took" his PPV allure away like Floyd & Manny took Oscar's to become great PPV names in their own right. I don't think either did more than 400k PPV's previous to the Oscar W which took them to a whole other level.

Canelo is the closest thing to the next PPV superstar. But he failed to beat Floyd when given a chance like Manny & Floyd were with Oscar. And while he did beat Cotto (the #6 all time PPV guy) its just not the same as beating Floyd woulda did for him.

So basically these new guys on the way up got a rougher road of 300k+ PPV fights as they grow a bigger audience that is willing to pay to see them fight. So people thinking you need 1M PPV's need to look back at the reality for non-HW's previous to the Floyd & Manny era when 332k buys would be among or near the top 10 for non-HW PPV fights.

And then to get even simpler there is the basic selling premise of if you try to sell people bs you're bound to get less buyers so while I think Canelo's PPV future is solid, he can't fight Rosado next & think he's gonna do 800k+ buys.
    Last edited by Eff Pandas; 05-12-2016, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GOT BEEF? View Post
      well, for starters they should make the fights availble for those who wish to purchase the Ppv but don't have cable. now obviously u dont need HBO or showtime to buy a corresponding PPV,however u do still need a CABLE/satellite provider to buy it. some people simply do not have this as they do all of their media/TV/movies online.

if it's a golden boy ppv you should ideally be able to go to golden boy . com and buy the ppv stream from there. the fact that this hasn't been played with yet is outrageous. i think top rank does it but only sometimes, however it gives you the top rank feed instead of the hbo feed which to me is not a problem.

it should warn potentials buyers first and foremost the required mbps speed required to play smoothly so lame ass poor folks dont get all pissy when it starts to get choppy on their 3DL/1UP internet plan from AOL

they also need to lower all ppv prices to $50 for HD and remove SD from the picture entirely,who the fuk buys SD anyway?might as well catch a stream.

aint that the price of UFC PPVS? also WWE PPVS?
      Thanks for your post. This is very interesting and I agree that this is strange that they don't sell/stream PPV online. I'm Russian, Moscow - I never buy PPV because US providers don't operate here. I would buy it if it was available online (I would prefer HBO coverage thought)

I would not buy Canelo - Khan anyway. Question when Khan gets KO'ed spectacularly is not that interesting. Khan always deliver and who cares in which round he's over?

Comment

Floyd's queer boxing single handedly ruined ppv.

His poor showing in his superfight with Pacquiao, resonated not only to the boos that he got from the MGM for his poor showing, but it also sent shock waves to casuals to not pay for boring fights ever again.

This made consumers wary of spending their hard earned money for a boring marathon hugfest ever again.. and to this day.. it left a hangover that in which will take time to heal in casual fans minds.

# that super fight didnt improve boxing as a whole, it actually even dented it.. as the shockwaves are felt to this day.

# casuals are harder to entice now, since they are already skeptical in shelling out dollars since they don't want to be disappointed and ripped off for watching lame/boring fights, mismatches (canelo-Khan) and over priced fights ever again.
        Last edited by Spoon23; 05-12-2016, 07:27 AM.

Comment

being able to shift at minimum 350k PPVs every time even with underwhelming match-ups is actually very good

($60 x 350,000) / 2 = $10,500,000

that's a big pot for a stay-busy fight

the only problem here if glaser's number is indeed correct (which i have no reason believe btw) is that GBP obviously completely overestimated khan's appeal. they thought he could be a co-star (like cotto) for some reason, when in reality he was just an opponent (like angulo or lara)

it's true that mayweather and pacquiao at their height sold more than double what canelo does, but let's face it they were also more than twice as good as him at boxing, so everything is in fact exactly as it should be. i see this as a return to normality, not a decline

Comment

Considering the amount of hoopla that was done by goldenboy and all the talk that canelo was the new face of boxing 570k is not a great deal and it certianly didn't light the boxing ppv market up..... PPV in boxing is dying and fighters that are making 12 million dollars a fight that actually don't deserve that kind of purse ..I think it's been bled dry by bad matchmaking and over priced events, America pay far to much for ppv event compared with us in the UK...30 dollars maximum compared with $60 in the states....do the maths

Comment

I hope the numbers are true, they shouldn't be able to get away with making such an obviously unbalanced fight.

Boxing is not a one man show. If you want to sell a fight then make the best fight you can make. People don't have extra money laying around to throw at trash WWE level match making.

The PPV model is grossly behind the times and cable PPV's should be $30-40 cheaper across the board. They need to hire some web developers and create some kind of new infrastructure so we can buy streams online. Not sure if they even realize how easily accessible apps like Periscope are killing them these days.

Comment

Originally posted by GOT BEEF? View Post
                well, for starters they should make the fights availble for those who wish to purchase the Ppv but don't have cable. now obviously u dont need HBO or showtime to buy a corresponding PPV,however u do still need a CABLE/satellite provider to buy it. some people simply do not have this as they do all of their media/TV/movies online.

if it's a golden boy ppv you should ideally be able to go to golden boy . com and buy the ppv stream from there. the fact that this hasn't been played with yet is outrageous. i think top rank does it but only sometimes, however it gives you the top rank feed instead of the hbo feed which to me is not a problem.

it should warn potentials buyers first and foremost the required mbps speed required to play smoothly so lame ass poor folks dont get all pissy when it starts to get choppy on their 3DL/1UP internet plan from AOL

they also need to lower all ppv prices to $50 for HD and remove SD from the picture entirely,who the fuk buys SD anyway?might as well catch a stream.

aint that the price of UFC PPVS? also WWE PPVS?
                Ring TV live offered the ppv via live stream so you could buy the fight outside of traditional cable. I know this for a fact because I was outside the country this weekend on vacation and that's how I watched the fight. But it did not have the HBO broadcast team. It had the normal Ring TV live crew but still had Max Kellerman interviews. But when the fights were over you could see the live press conference which I don't believe HBO covered.

Comment

This is rich the same ggg bytch boy who been crying about glaser 97k ppv tweet for over 6 months discrediting it and calling glaser a liar is now using the same guy as a credible source for canelo even though Dan Rafael the same source who said ggg did 150k is saying canelo did 600k. So which is is glaser a lying hack or isn't he? Oh I get ggg fans go by Dan numbers for ggg but for canelo let's go by glaser. SMH

Comment

Originally posted by Omowale Tribe View Post
                    It actually did right under 600k.

Way better than 97k.
                    glaser is the one who said ggg did 97k yet you ignore his numbers when it comes to canelo-khan? lol!

Comment

I'm not much a fan of ggg and even when others cloned him because of the glaser tweet I said from day 1 that figure is pure horse crap. Just like him saying canelo/cotto doing only 600k. He was ONLY off 300k when it was reported to have done 900k. LMAO Dude is not a credible source and it's hilarious seeing ggg fans for half a year drag his name in the mud and today flip flop and defend him for his bogus figure for canelo khan.

Comment

Working...
                      X