No announcement yet.

Revolvers vs Semi Auto.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revolvers vs Semi Auto.

Which type of pistol is your favorite/preferred?

Thinking about a Kahr PM9 or Ruger LCR for Pocket Carry here in the Vegas heat.
    Revolver
    66.67%
    Semi-Auto
    33.33%

I've always liked big bore, ready to bite you revolvers. They are a intimidating, and you get a sense of accomplishment from firing one off with out shitting yourself. But it unless you are big into hunting....

It really is no contest, when it comes to carry, or self defense.

Higher capacity, great stopping power in 10mm, .45, 40 S&W, .357 Sig, easier to conceal in the smaller frames.

My 2 cents.

Comment

as far as autos, i think sig/sauer is the best imo. or was. (heard the newer american made non-swiss/german ones have quality issues.)

as far as looks, love the old smith and wesson 4th gen autos. 4006/5906/4506/1006/6906. i think stainless smith autos are classy. a .40 smith is my bedside gun. been so for years.

for revolvers, i like rugers. use to own a SP101, GP100 and super redhawk alaskan.

something about stainless guns with black rubber grips.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
        I've always liked big bore, ready to bite you revolvers. They are a intimidating, and you get a sense of accomplishment from firing one off with out shitting yourself. But it unless you are big into hunting....

Higher capacity, great stopping power in 10mm, .45, 40 S&W, .357 Sig, easier to conceal in the smaller frames.

My 2 cents.
        Hmm you're right. And with the advancements of semi autos being very close to being as reliable as a revolver I don't think I could go wrong.

7+1 of 9mm vs 5 rounds of .38 special +p.

But there's always that chance of a jam with a semi auto which scares me off a little.

Comment

My 2 cents.
          love me big bore revolvers.

when i go hiking, i always carry my s&w .500 cross draw, a ruger alaskan .480 in a small of back holster and a s&w snubnose .44 in an ankle holster.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
            as far as autos, i think sig/sauer is the best imo. or was. (heard the newer american made non-swiss/german ones have quality issues.)

as far as looks, love the old smith and wesson 4th gen autos. 4006/5906/4506/1006/6906. i think stainless smith autos are classy. a .40 smith is my bedside gun. been so for years.

for revolvers, i like rugers. use to own a SP101, GP100 and super redhawk alaskan.

something about stainless guns with black rubber grips.
            I want to get a sig p229 for my bedside.

Maybe IWB in the future. but the way I dress probably wouldn't allow me to IWB in the Vegas heat, especially since I hear sigs are kinda on the thick side. winter for sure. But in the summer I would have to Pocket Carry as I wear basketball shorts and a white tee in the summer (most of the time).

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
              love me big bore revolvers.

when i go hiking, i always carry my s&w .500 cross draw, a ruger alaskan .480 in a small of back holster and a s&w snubnose .44 in an ankle holster.

Go big, or go home.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Big Smoke~ View Post
                Hmm you're right. And with the advancements of semi autos being very close to being as reliable as a revolver I don't think I could go wrong.

7+1 of 9mm vs 5 rounds of .38 special +p.

But there's always that chance of a jam with a semi auto which scares me off a little.
                man.... 5 9mm > 5 .38

.38 is weak imo. solid but on the weaker side. i'd rather carry a .380 acp. slimmer, faster reload, more capacity and .380 is only a little beat weaker.

as far as auto reliability, just make sure you shoot the ammo you're gonna use in it.

at least 1 box. to make sure the jhp you use works with your gun.

some people don't because of cost. i think wasting a box or 2 of jhp is worth it to make sure it's reliable in your gun.

if you go to indoor range it's not allowed but usually the owner will let you when no one is around.

Comment

Go big, or go home.
                  you can never be too armed.

you never know when you might run into a bear, a mountain lion or a democrat and have to blast.

Comment

i have a p229. it'd be my bedside gun except it's a .357.

.40 is better for home defense imo. less penetration. less noise and muzzle blast.

get a small .380.

hell even a cheap davis works with fmj.

Comment

Working...
                    X