Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you rank Wladimir Klitschko among the great heavyweights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hitman932 View Post
    I put him 6-10.

Bottom line is 60 career wins, 50 knockouts, and 18 career title defenses.

There are a select few HW's in the history of the sport to get to those numbers and those that did only accomplished it by hanging on too long and fighting bums in non title fights at the end of their careers (Holmes and Foreman)

We will probably never in our lifetimes see another HW champ get anywhere close to those cumulative numbers.
    yes we will. wlad's first 4 defenses were against unranked jefferson, unranked shufford, ancient unranked botha, and ancient unranked mercer. you will never find 4 defenses in a row that crappy in any other era but in this new era of frauds you will see it a lot. i could see a guy going 20 defenses in a row without fighting anyone ranked. people will think he's great because of his "dominance"
    Last edited by daggum; 02-10-2013, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• Wonder the ages of the folks who think Wlad is a top twenty fighter? The number one spot must be from a teenager!!! Pretty sad stuff. Ray.

Comment

• Originally posted by TaurusJ27 View Post
        I put him between the top 6-10 due to how long he's held the title.
        so is chris john better than leonard and robinson? he held the title longer than them.

Comment

• Butterbean was 76-9 and went 10 rounds with a VERY old Larry Holmes. That was pretty good for the Beanman!

Its not how many wins you have its the caliber of competition you faced!
          Ray.

Comment

• Originally posted by boxingchef View Post
            ANYONE who posted top 26 or lower... especially under 50 or under 100-200

name me
            Top 26-Top 50 who are better
            anyone under that.. name me Top 50-Top 200 who are better
            John L Sullivan
            Jim Corbett
            Bob Fitzsimmons
            Jim Jeffries
            Jack Johnson
            Jess Willard
            Jack Dempsey
            Gene Tunney
            Max Schmelling
            Jack Sharkey
            Max Baer
            Jim Braddock
            Joe Louis
            Joe Walcott
            Ezzard Charles
            Rocky Marciano
            Igemar Johonsosn
            Floyd Patterson
            Sonny Liston
            Muhammad Ali
            Joe Frazier
            George Foreman
            Larry Holmes
            Mike tyson
            Evander Holyfield
            Buster Douglas
            Lennox Lewis
            Riddick Bowe

There is a valid Argument for ranking Wladimir outside the top 100 which I'll get into shorty. But the 29 or so fighters I listed have these things in common:

1. UNDISPUTED world Heavyweight Champion
            2. Victory over a another great champion on the list.
            3. Did not need a 6'7 bodyguard to help their careers.

Wladimir wouldve been knocked out of boxing if it wasnt for his 6'7 brother. Imagine if Wlad had to face Lennox right after being KOd by Sanders? It would be sanctioned slaughter and his career would be over.

What Vitali does is water down competition. So instead of Wlad facing (#1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10) Wlad will face the much easier schedule of (#2, #4, #6, #8 #10 #12 #14 #16 #18 #20) while Vitali fights the odd numbers (#3-#21) Both are exempt from facing #1.

Its an advanced scheme that reduces wear and tear on both brothers and produces fantastic results. As individuals they are outside the top 20, combined they are top 5 ATG.

Comment

Working...
            X