No announcement yet.

What's your favorite fights at feather/bantam

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    You can't top Gomez-Pintor for the 122 lb title. And of course Morales-Barrera I and the 3rd Vazquez-Marquez fight were classics.
    Gomez-Pintor was my first thought when I seen this thread.

Comment

Wasn't Little Red Lopez in few good battles?

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        What's your favorite fights around the bantam / feather divisions., it can also be super/junior feather or bantam classes..

For some us that don't know, please post the weightclass with every fight you name..

Also which ones were the greatest
        Laciar vs Roman trilogy, 115lbs - Underrated as ****, and the type of career-defining moments that should have lifted their recognition and reputation through the roof in the same way as more recent trilogies has done for those fighters involved. Both were past their absolute best in the third bout, with Laciar being a bit further from his peak, but the first and especially second bouts are excellent. Their fights weren’t as brutal or ferocious as Vasquez-Marquez or MAB-Morales I, but the combination of closely contested action displayed with a very high level of skill makes it a treat to watch.

Herrera vs Castillo II, 118lbs - One of my absolute faves’. The skill-level is so incredibly high - bordering on ridiculous - and a brilliant fight between two sublime craftsmen at their peak. It’s essential viewing for my money and further confirmation of just how great the 60’s/early 70’s era of Bantam’s really were.

Winstone vs Baby Luis, 126lbs - An epic technical encounter where Winstone’s elegant and stiffer stand-up jabbing style mixed with Luis’ smoother brand of boxing - which looks like a bit of a cross between Napoles and a lot of the Panamanian stylists technically - blends together beautifully. It’s exactly the type of technical-polite fight Winstone thrives in, but Luis gives an excellent account of himself. I would really love some more footage of Luis. He oozes class and looks extremely talented judging by the footage available.

Sahaprom vs Chuwatana, 118lbs - Wonderful two-way technical affair and mighty impressive stuff by Saha’ considering it was just his fourth professional bout, although he had loads of experience from Muay Thai.

Rose vs Harada, 118lbs - Maybe the best win in bantamweight history and one of the most dominant showings against an all-time great, right up there with Kalambay-McCallum I. Rose was majestic, flawless… call it whatever you want.

Navarrete vs Chung-Il Choi, 130lbs - An absolute war. Such a shame Choi lacked the durability of his contemporaries. You can’t really go wrong with the 130-pounds gang of gunslingers from this period of the 80’s to be honest. Navarrete, Chacon, Boza, Limon, Choi - it almost feels like every fight they had is a classic.

Sugar Ramos vs Davey Moore, 126lbs - Excluding the tragic ending of course. Highly skillful fight between two featherweights that seems stuck in the cracks that history has left behind and not gaining much airtime. It’s nice to see that even though Ramos was a powerhouse at the weight, he has this non-brute approach and was actually a very fine technician with silky smooth moves.

It’s really a ****load of fights I enjoy at or around these weights, e.g. Rose-Castillo, Moon-Galaxy, Quiroga-Anifowoshe, Tatsuyoshi vs Zaragoza I to name a few more. Others that already have been mentioned like Gomez-Pintor, Avelar-Vasquez, and the Zaragoza-Banke trilogy is great fights as well, but there’s no point in me repeating what others have already said.

Going by reports, if the full version of Taylor-Anaya ever reaches the surface, it might be the best fight of all-time. The mere highlights don’t do it justice.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
          Eder Jofre vs Fighting Harada
          Wilfredo Vazquez vs Antonio Avelar
          Paul Banke vs Daniel Zaragoza I, II and III
          Vicente Saldivar vs Howard Winstone II
          Some mighty fine shouts.

Isn’t it in the fifth round of Vasquez-Avelar that hell breaks loose and action goes totally mental?

Comment

Naz vs Kelly, the hype, the buzz, the theatrics and the War!
            Marquez vs Vasquez 3 was as good as it gets along with the classic that was Morales vs Barrera! Barrera's fights with Jones and McKinney were also unreal! There's also the great Gomez vs Pintor and Sanchez fights

Comment

First Fenech v Nelson fight......two prime, future ATGs going right at it.
              Barrera v Hamed
              Also the Hardy v Canizales fights, proper little wars.

Favourite fighters.....

Nelson
              Fenech
              Brian Mitchell....still much under-rated
              Paul 'Hoko' Hodkinson
              Wayne McCulough
              Tony Lopez

Comment

Almost any Barrera fight, like vs. Hamed or McKinney.

Comment

surprising Sanchez name has not come up. Was he too dominant?

Comment

Naseem Hamed was my, absolutely no question about it - So any of his mid career fights are my favourites, but of course especially the Kelley fight, which is still one of the best fights i've ever seen.

Obviously the Morales-Barrera fights were all great, and also some of the Arguello fights were great.
                    Last edited by LacedUp; 09-24-2014, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Arguello v Olivares

Comment

Working...
                      X