No announcement yet.

headguard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headguard

New to boxing and about to have ago at sparring, i was thinking about a headguard with a face bar, so i wont get hit so much on the nose what do you all wear for sparring
    Last edited by johnc; 01-15-2013, 08:44 AM.

Your gym should have headgear that everyone shares. If this is the case, don't bother getting your own headgear.

Personally, I wouldn't want a bar across the face- at some point, you're going to get hit in the nose. Might as well get it broken/bloodied in sparring instead of in an actual bout.

Comment

I don't think there is any shame in using full face protector style of head gear and here is why.

1. You're sparring. The goal of sparring is to work on your technique, not do damage or prove you can take damage.

2. Full face gear should allow you to go a little harder without increasing the risk of damage. This should be the goal since again, the goal is to work on technique. The more sparring can replicate a real match, the better.

3. It seems to be common amongst pros now (monkey see, monkey do, I know but still)

4. If you're serious about a boxing career, your goal should be to extend your career. Taking UNNECESSARY damage during PRACTICE doesn't really support that goal.

5. We're talking about practice. Not even the real fight, we're talking about PRACTICE...PRACTICE man.

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
        I don't think there is any shame in using full face protector style of head gear and here is why.

1. You're sparring. The goal of sparring is to work on your technique, not do damage or prove you can take damage.

2. Full face gear should allow you to go a little harder without increasing the risk of damage. This should be the goal since again, the goal is to work on technique. The more sparring can replicate a real match, the better.

3. It seems to be common amongst pros now (monkey see, monkey do, I know but still)

4. If you're serious about a boxing career, your goal should be to extend your career. Taking UNNECESSARY damage during PRACTICE doesn't really support that goal.

5. We're talking about practice. Not even the real fight, we're talking about PRACTICE...PRACTICE man.
        I always used/use Full Face Protection when sparring. First off I have to say I enjoyed the ability to crank up the intensity with less risk. Also my nose hates getting punched and I'm too pretty (joke). A few warnings, be very careful and selective about what kind you choose. expensive isn't always better, but don't go cheap. Also I suggest buying your own, because the headgear at the gym is most likely pretty nasty. Of course if money is an issue, then by all means use the gear at the gym versus buying cheap crappy headgear.
        Also beware the face bar, I have a very difficult time seeing some shots (particularly uppercuts and shovel hooks) because the bar blocks the lower quadrants of my peripherial vision. I've seen some full face gear without the bar, and it seems to allow for better vision. I haven't used any of these so I can't really comment on how protective they are.

Also some shots that would have missed will connect with the facebar, and twist your head around a bit, so you have to be weary of shots that wouldn't normally connect, that all of a sudden do.

I like it though... No need get your nose broken just to get some good work in.

Comment

headgear

Thanks for all your advice over head guards, it will only be for sparring and the club ones look very old and thin. I have left it a little to late to box in competition (what is the max age)

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            Thanks for all your advice over head guards, it will only be for sparring and the club ones look very old and thin. I have left it a little to late to box in competition (what is the max age)
            I would advise to use the ratty club headgear for a while. You're going to get hit and it's going to hurt, but it'll make your senses keener while under fire. You need to get dazed a few times and learn to think while your face is being banged up. It'll accelerate your learning experience by several times.

After you've gotten over the beginner's hump, then feel free to buy your own personal headgear [with mouth guard if you'd like]. It'll offer more protection, better hygiene, and you'll probably be relying more on your skill than headgear by that time to avoid damage.

I hope you have fun sparring!

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              40 is the maximum age you can box as an amateur in the UK in the masters category. You can only box people between the age of 34 and 40 though. Not many novices available to box in this category though so you would struggle to get bouts.

If you are under 34 you would be classes as a senior and can box anyone between the age of 17 and 34.

I would just get an open face head guard. Don't worry too much about getting hit in the face - it's not as bad as you think.

I can see the benefits of full face head guards for experienced lads but for a novice who plans on competing, I think it's probably best to experience getting hit without face protection.

You may decide the sport isn't for you as many do. Or, you may realize getting hit on the nose isn't the end of world.

I would just use the head guards in the gym for now. See how you go and then make a decision regarding what type of head guard is best for you.

Besides if you turn up for your first sparring session in a full face head guard you will look a bit of a prat IMO haha.

It's probably best not to make make to much of a big deal about it. Just get in the ring and enjoy yourself - I doubt you will be going hard to start with.

Good luck mate.

Comment

Working...
              X