Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

August 2013: Floyd Mayweather Sr: Adrien Broner copying shoulder roll will backfire

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August 2013: Floyd Mayweather Sr: Adrien Broner copying shoulder roll will backfire

The Boxing Observer: August 23, 2013 -Floyd Mayweather Sr. has stated that Adrien Broner’s idolising of his son could be the downfall of the three-weight world champion. The current WBA 147 lb titlist, and 135 lb WBC champion is about to sign terms for a big Showtime PPV clash against feared puncher Marcos Maidana, although Mayweather Sr. has insinuated that the Argentinian will be the first live opponent the American has faced, and that his mimicking of Floyd Mayweather’s shoulder roll could backfire during the fight.

“Another one it’s going to happen to, as soon as he gets the right man in his face, is Broner. Broner, so far, so good. He’s doing it the best of anyone else that’s did it. But then, also, he’s had stiffs in front of him. He hasn’t had no real fighter in front of him, man. When he gets somebody real in front of him, he’s going to forget all about the roll. The roll won’t even be there, believe me. The roll won’t be there, none of that other stuff picking off, catching, rolling — you won’t see none of that,” Mayweather told David Mayo.

I've been talking about this for a minute now. Broner was misusing the roll to ridiculous extent regardless. Floyd's primary defensive measure is to use his legs and control distance. He only uses the roll sparingly - when he's trapped in most cases. Broner was using it the entire time.

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
      I've been talking about this for a minute now. Broner was misusing the roll to ridiculous extent regardless. Floyd's primary defensive measure is to use his legs and control distance. He only uses the roll sparingly - when he's trapped in most cases. Broner was using it the entire time.
      Exactly, Mayweather uses footwork, full guard, uncanny anticipation and as u say the shoulder roll, sparingly.

Its applying one of the above at the right time during a fight that makes May a defensive wizard.

Comment

Working...
      X