Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knockout punchers with glass jaws

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's one Edgarg and IronDan (and hopefully some others) might appreciate: Florentino Fernandez. He was a Cuban middleweight who fought from 1956-1972. Fernandez lost a 15 round split decision to middleweight champ Gene Fullmer, and stopped future light heavyweight champion Jose Torres in five. But "The Ox" is probably best remembered for being KOed in one against Rubin "Hurricane" Carter. Florentino finished his all-or-nothing career at 50 Wins (43 KO), 16 Loses (10 KO!) and 1 Draw.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      Here's one Edgarg and IronDan (and hopefully some others) might appreciate: Florentino Fernandez. He was a Cuban middleweight who fought from 1956-1972. Fernandez lost a 15 round split decision to middleweight champ Gene Fullmer, and stopped future light heavyweight champion Jose Torres in five. But "The Ox" is probably best remembered for being KOed in one against Rubin "Hurricane" Carter. Florentino finished his all-or-nothing career at 50 Wins (43 KO), 16 Loses (10 KO!) and 1 Draw.
      Ahhhh, yes. I can certainly appreciate this throwback fighter.

Fernandez is also a Bob Satterfield type of exciting fighter. Fernandez could punch but if you caught him, it could be all over.

Fernandez also seemed to have a very brittle face, so to speak, and had bones broken on regular occasions. And went down on many occasions, I;m not sure to the exact number, but it was many occasions.

You touched on the Carter stoppage, but let's not forget what Carter did to possibly and in my opinion the best fighter of the entire 1960's in Emile Griffith. If Carter could do anything, it was punch.

Great choice.
      Last edited by IronDanHamza; 04-23-2011, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
        Peter was boosted up to the skies by both his manager and the press. I always used to write in that most of his KO's were old worn out palooka's who were led gently to the ring and propped abainst the ropes until it was time to fall down.

However, he had a KO reputation, and , in fact has a good, solid wallop. He lacks in other ways of course. The point was, that with poor Klitschko's fragile chin, Peter would O him the first time he hit him.

Don't you recall all the catcalling and denigrating etc.?? It nearly ruined the guy's reputation as a fighter.
        I think Peter has a good punch, but I thought your description was overrating it a lot and I think it is overrated in general.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
          NO, only one of them will be fighting. Don't forget that Haye, heavy puncher though he may be, showed this against mostly undistinguished 200 lb'ers who likely were boiled down 225 lb'ers. And there's amply proof that he has a rather shaky chin.

Klitschko, on the contrary, was not fighting against guys who had the handicap of making weight, and also, has shown, ever since the strange Brewster no punch TKO, where he just collapsed sick, and had to be half carried by the ref to his corner. I recall that he even fell from the ref's grip.

Klitschko deliberately JUMPED at the opportunity inhis very next fight, of takig on the fearsome KO Killer, Samuel Peter. And, in the fight itself, ignoring all the rabbit punch, shoulder push and rope catapult "down's", took enough solid punches to show that he had a GOOD chin, and even though he won every round, looked ready to go another 12.

people who KNOW boxing, of whom there are only few on this board, will agree with my comments. The majority, will not.

I couldn't care less. I am a truthful and observant guy. And, G-D forbid, NOBODY'S FAN!!

If I wasn't busy with other matters, I could make a career of correcting the ignorance and malice of most of the posters.

Are you trying to sound like one of those pop-ups that attempt to lure in with the promise that '95%' of people can't see the obvious? Arrogance never strengthens an argument.

Comment

Working...
          X