Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dragons Dogma

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a good, good game. The gameplay improves, (after being good already), the more you play. Last night I just learned how to level up my main pawn. I was going around assuming her to be a worthless punching bag. But now she's rather formidable and the game has suddenly gotten even more interesting. If you're a fan of role playing and swords and shields like I am, I's surely recommend this game.

Comment

Played it a bit when it first came out on PS plus, prefer the Souls games as good as Dogmas combat is Souls has it down perfectly.

It was mostly the really poor quest system that made me stop playing I will get round to finishing it eventually. Also fast travel needs to be included from the get go Ferry Stones are far to expensive at the start of the game only till a decent chunk through can you get them and not really hurt your wallet. Combat system is great though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
        Played it a bit when it first came out on PS plus, prefer the Souls games as good as Dogmas combat is Souls has it down perfectly.

It was mostly the really poor quest system that made me stop playing I will get round to finishing it eventually. Also fast travel needs to be included from the get go Ferry Stones are far to expensive at the start of the game only till a decent chunk through can you get them and not really hurt your wallet. Combat system is great though.
        Is that right?? At least it has a quest system. What does dark souls have?? Run around and die. Then rinse and repeat. Barely ever doing any quests, like at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
          Is that right?? At least it has a quest system. What does dark souls have?? Run around and die. Then rinse and repeat. Barely ever doing any quests, like at all.
          That is like saying Halo suffers because it doesn't have a quest system. Dark Souls is clearly a dungeon crawler and designed as such its an RPG in that you can upgrade items etc. but it wasn't and never pretended to be a expansive Skyrim type RPG with an in depth quest system. Half the premise of Dark Souls is the excellent combat system and the nature of the difficulty.

Dragons Dogma is or at least gives the impression that it is meant to be that sort of RPG - except the lore/quests never really hooked me the way they did on Oblivion/Skyrim. I don't dislike the game but RPGs the size of Dogma take significant a significant investment of time and it didn't really grab me and make me play I will return to the game eventually.

To each his own for example I really really liked most of Kingdoms of Amalur but plenty of people didn't - Combat system for me was absolutely the best in any recent RPG IMO.

Comment

That is like saying Halo suffers because it doesn't have a quest system. Dark Souls is clearly a dungeon crawler and designed as such its an RPG in that you can upgrade items etc. but it wasn't and never pretended to be a expansive Skyrim type RPG with an in depth quest system. Half the premise of Dark Souls is the excellent combat system and the nature of the difficulty.

Dragons Dogma is or at least gives the impression that it is meant to be that sort of RPG - except the lore/quests never really hooked me the way they did on Oblivion/Skyrim. I don't dislike the game but RPGs the size of Dogma take significant a significant investment of time and it didn't really grab me and make me play I will return to the game eventually.

To each his own for example I really really liked most of Kingdoms of Amalur but plenty of people didn't - Combat system for me was absolutely the best in any recent RPG IMO.
            Not at all bro. It's not like saying that at all. Halo is a shooter. Dark souls and Dogma are rpg's. But I like the difficulty of Dogman and I just finished retaking a stronghold from some goblins. I like it.

Comment

Not at all bro. It's not like saying that at all. Halo is a shooter. Dark souls and Dogma are rpg's. But I like the difficulty of Dogman and I just finished retaking a stronghold from some goblins. I like it.
              My point is that neither Halo or Dark Souls were designed as quest based games, Dogma was. Destiny is also an 'RPG' but its an RPG in name only, never went into it thinking the quests are gonna be so good! Not all RPGs are designed the same.

I never said Dogma was a bad game, only that for an expansive RPG (and they usually rely on quests to keep you interested) it had a disappointing quest system.

Comment

My point is that neither Halo or Dark Souls were designed as quest based games, Dogma was. Destiny is also an 'RPG' but its an RPG in name only, never went into it thinking the quests are gonna be so good! Not all RPGs are designed the same.

I never said Dogma was a bad game, only that for an expansive RPG (and they usually rely on quests to keep you interested) it had a disappointing quest system.
                They most definitely are not the same, (rpg's). And Dogma's world so far is gigantic. Especially compared to dark souls. Without the fast travel so to speak that other rpg's enjoy, it adds a level of dificulty that may get annoying to some, but not me. It's not like dying over and over in a tiny world like say, dark souls. And the quest boards do have entertaining little missions, imo.

The combat system is great though. But you're right about Reckoning. TBH, I don't believe there is an rpg anywhere that could ever match the gameplay of that game. it was so fluent and responsive. Tis a shame they never capitalized on the system.

Comment

They most definitely are not the same, (rpg's). And Dogma's world so far is gigantic. Especially compared to dark souls. Without the fast travel so to speak that other rpg's enjoy, it adds a level of dificulty that may get annoying to some, but not me. It's not like dying over and over in a tiny world like say, dark souls. And the quest boards do have entertaining little missions, imo.

The combat system is great though. But you're right about Reckoning. TBH, I don't believe there is an rpg anywhere that could ever match the gameplay of that game. it was so fluent and responsive. Tis a shame they never capitalized on the system.
                  Reckoning played like a God of War game almost. It was so fun. I would have been stoked for a sequel to that game, where they could have learned some lessons and improved what didn't work that well in the first game.

No one even picked up the license when that studio went under, if I remember correctly.

Comment

Admittedly, I stopped playing for a tad because I had to go to Blue Moon Tower and hadn't the faintest idea how to get there. But I figured it out and got some amazing armor for my struggle after defeating the griffon. Still a great game. Cannot wait to beat it and get part deux.

Comment

Admittedly, I stopped playing for a tad because I had to go to Blue Moon Tower and hadn't the faintest idea how to get there. But I figured it out and got some amazing armor for my struggle after defeating the griffon. Still a great game. Cannot wait to beat it and get part deux.
                      I've still not got round to playing it all the way through, finish Dark Souls 2 and ran through Dragon Age 1 & 2 before inquisition comes out next month.

Comment

Working...
                      X