No announcement yet.

Experience Conquers Youth As Maidana Stops Ortiz In Six

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience Conquers Youth As Maidana Stops Ortiz In Six

By Jake Donovan - HBO promised a star in the making when arranging for hard-punching Victor Ortiz to headline their June 27 Boxing After Dark telecast.

Ortiz promised to deliver a performance befitting of the enormous amounts of hype that surrounds his career.

Neither lived up to their word by night’s end.

That’s not to say that Ortiz didn’t try his damnest to put some substance behind the shine. The Kansas-born southpaw recovered from an opening round knockdown to score three of his own inside of the first two rounds. It wasn’t enough, as battle-tested Marcos Maidana chipped away with enough right hands to end the fight early in the sixth round of their scheduled 12-round junior welterweight main event.

The bout was aired live on HBO from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California and was presented by Golden Boy Promotions.

There was no feeling out session as both fighters looked to make their mark early. Ortiz, who came to the ring to a remix of “Beat It” and “Thriller”, used both titles as the theme for his performance in the early going. The highly touted southpaw patiently stalked behind a high guard, coming in with left hands and right hooks out of the southpaw stance. [details]

oscar might have to start fighting again to keep golden boy running.

i love how maidana took a hard verbal right at amir khan(who was ringside btw) saying he's not nothing really, not a big deal.
    Last edited by DonTaseMeBrah; 06-27-2009, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GetSumBrah View Post
      unfortunately for people who like to talk negatively about golden boy promotions, GBP is at the top of the boxing promotional world

Comment

In some ways I feel sorry for Vic. However this serves his promoter DLH as a gift to keep his mouth quiet. He was on a spring of talking too much lately. Simply by stating that Mosley was better than Cotto and he would demolished Pac in the ring.

Comment

I thought that Victor was going to start crying after the fight....

Tonight he showed that he lacks something in the "heart" department. It seemed that he wanted nothing more to do with his opponenet after the fifth round.

Oscar must be crying too.... after so much marketing put behind Victor, needless to say that he "stole" the kid from Arum and now he finds out that Victor is not interested in going out on his shield...... hell pay me his salary and I will fight until I'm bloody and unconscience.

By the way.... the cut was not worst than the one suffer by Cotto.... enough said about heart.

Comment

Very dissapointing ending, but good fight overall. Props to the new champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesty View Post
              I thought that Victor was going to start crying after the fight....

Tonight he showed that he lacks something in the "heart" department. It seemed that he wanted nothing more to do with his opponenet after the fifth round.

Oscar must be crying too.... after so much marketing put behind Victor, needless to say that he "stole" the kid from Arum and now he finds out that Victor is not interested in going out on his shield...... hell pay me his salary and I will fight until I'm bloody and unconscience.

By the way.... the cut was not worst than the one suffer by Cotto.... enough said about heart.
              True that, cut wasnt as deep, the bump under the eye was worst than the cut.

Comment

Originally posted by GetSumBrah View Post

i love how maidana took a hard verbal right at amir khan(who was ringside btw) saying he's not nothing really, not a big deal.
                Co sing...

Maybe Oscar, Mosely and Hopkins should have a rumble and fight each other... at the saem time. My money is with the old man... lol

Comment

So much for the hype!

Comment

Surprisingly... I think that this fight will motivate Vic and I'm sure he'll be towards the top of the p4p rankings in due time. Reason being is because he very realistic with himself and what is going on around him. Many fighters would have their pride take over, downplay the fact that they simply got out-gunned only to get embarrassed again. I got the sense after the fight that Vic saw some flaws himself that he needs to correct (especially on defense). But he took it as a learning experience which many fighters don't do. Many fighters lose and say, "no the other guy just got lucky". But it takes a real MAN to admit defeat and that he was the lesser man in the ring (even considering the fact that he knocked chino down several times). A guy like Zab would've said, "well larry, he never hurt me at all"... Not Vic. He is really mature and showed guts for 22 y/o. You did ok kid... keep your head high.

Comment

Working...
                    X