Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Showtime made money with Floyd?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I signed up for subscription during the TBE/SHO collaboration hoopla. Funny thing was TBE is not even on Showtime, he's on PPV. I assumed that SHO's earnings from PPVs were supposed to translate into more subscription-based fights. Months and 2 PPV fights later, regular fights were becoming rarer and rarer. I cancelled eventually. Waste of money waiting for nothing. I learned recently that Showtime boxing is no longer included in the Superchannel package. What the hell happened??

Obvious question is if they made money, where are the fights that subscribers expected them to make?

Comment

Of course they did. Thats why they can afford to put on this Berto fight. They aren't hurting for money.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerzz View Post
        We know they made money with Floyd vs Canelo (2.2M) buys and Floyd vs Manny (4.3M x 60% with hbo getting 40%?)

But they lost money with Guerrero, Maidana 1 & 2 and will lose heavily with Berto.
        Showtime had six fights to cover the $250m that was guaranteed to Floyd. Counting backwards from the PPV revenue, Floyd seemed to have needed to generate $550m-$600m in PPV revenue to get to the number (not sure how the math worked out, but the rumor around these parts was that Floyd needed to sell 6m PPVs to cover.

5 fights into the deal, Floyd Mayweather has already generated the equivalent of 7m PPV buys (Showtime's share off of the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight amounted to 2.3m PPV buys). Beyond that, the final fight will likely generate no less than 700k PPV buys

Yes, Showtime made money on the Mayweather deal; they covered their complete downside risk on the Mayweather deal, and likely will end up putting $50m-$60m into their own pocket, nevermind the residual income that they picked up from people picking up Showtime with the Mayweather/Golden Boy move to Showtime.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          The guys who apparently hate Floyd care the most about the numbers.

All I've heard since the Berto annoucement from them is how the PPV will be bad.

Who the hell cares? Seriously why do they care?
          Bingo...i am a huge Floyd fan and im not even speaking on it..lol

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMan View Post
            Obviously not. Clear as day.
            So they wanted him to sign for 3 more fights to lose more money?

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
              Showtime had six fights to cover the $250m that was guaranteed to Floyd. Counting backwards from the PPV revenue, Floyd seemed to have needed to generate $550m-$600m in PPV revenue to get to the number (not sure how the math worked out, but the rumor around these parts was that Floyd needed to sell 6m PPVs to cover.

5 fights into the deal, Floyd Mayweather has already generated the equivalent of 7m PPV buys (Showtime's share off of the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight amounted to 2.3m PPV buys). Beyond that, the final fight will likely generate no less than 700k PPV buys

Yes, Showtime made money on the Mayweather deal; they covered their complete downside risk on the Mayweather deal, and likely will end up putting $50m-$60m into their own pocket, nevermind the residual income that they picked up from people picking up Showtime with the Mayweather/Golden Boy move to Showtime.
              end thread on this. good post.

Comment

If they didn't then Mayweather would not be fighting Berto, he would be fighting cotto, Canelo rematch or a Khan fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
                  If they didn't then Mayweather would not be fighting Berto, he would be fighting cotto, Canelo rematch or a Khan fight.

Basically...

Comment

Originally posted by 12TRIBEsRiSe View Post
                    since when did boxing fans start looking into stuff like this and caring so much... oh wait floyd is involved nevermind
                    Never once have seen a thread like this about any other fighter

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMan View Post
                      I signed up for subscription during the TBE/SHO collaboration hoopla. Funny thing was TBE is not even on Showtime, he's on PPV. I assumed that SHO's earnings from PPVs were supposed to translate into more subscription-based fights. Months and 2 PPV fights later, regular fights were becoming rarer and rarer. I cancelled eventually. Waste of money waiting for nothing. I learned recently that Showtime boxing is no longer included in the Superchannel package. What the hell happened??

Obvious question is if they made money, where are the fights that subscribers expected them to make?
                      HBO has scaled down their budget and is offering fewer hours of programming since Herschman cam on. Did you cancel HBO?

Comment

Working...
                      X