Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fight parallel: Calzighe versus Lacy Cotto versus Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serg wasn't a hype job... He beat a lot of quality fighters, lacy never beat one..

He got screwed in the cintron fight twice, should have won by ko and decision, and there is a string case he beat Williams the first time, prior to cotto, serg could have been at 53-1-1 with 2 lineal reigns at 2 different divisions..

At his peak he was one of the hardest outs in boxing, he isn't an atg but he had a hof caliber career, and has been the best mw champ since Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      Serg wasn't a hype job... He beat a lot of quality fighters, lacy never beat one..

He got screwed in the cintron fight twice, should have won by ko and decision, and there is a string case he beat Williams the first time, prior to cotto, serg could have been at 53-1-1 with 2 lineal reigns at 2 different divisions..

At his peak he was one of the hardest outs in boxing, he isn't an atg but he had a hof caliber career, and has been the best mw champ since Hopkins
      shoulda coulda woulda...He beat williams....period. Compare that to Cotto's record shall we? just a cursory glance, we have Mayweather Margarito shane, Judah, need I go on?

Hype job plain and simple. People fell in love with his athletic swashbuckling ambush tactics and he managed to beat Williams...didnt quintaro also beat Williams? and both him and Quinataro got smashed by Cotto....wow it all fits together like!

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
        shoulda coulda woulda...He beat williams....period. Compare that to Cotto's record shall we? just a cursory glance, we have Mayweather Margarito shane, Judah, need I go on?

Hype job plain and simple. People fell in love with his athletic swashbuckling ambush tactics and he managed to beat Williams...didnt quintaro also beat Williams? and both him and Quinataro got smashed by Cotto....wow it all fits together like!
        Just because his career isn't as strong as cotto's, that doesn't mean that serg was a hype job,, there is literally only about 5 or 6 active fighters that have better careers than cotto

I just don't see how he can be considered a hype job.. Especially if you consider he had very low drawing power with fans and didn't hit big til he was in his 30s. I don't see how he can be considered a hype job when he had to fight and crawl his way to the top

Comment

A bit insulting to martinez no?

He was past prime and arguably completely shot after having a good career with wins over some top guys. Lacy was young, prime and over hyped...

Whenever i see a thread like this - diminishing a good champion to an unacceptable degree - I always assume there is some form of agenda but i don't really know the op's posting history so who knows.

it's unfortunate that there seems to be so few genuine fans in this place. almost everyone has an agenda ... diminish one guy so that diminishes somebody else by default or whatever and that then means this other guy who I'm an uber fan of is awesome etc etc

Comment

I used the term hyperbole to describe this comment and i never said he was better...I asked if he really could be considered so much better and I stick by that because it had the intended effect of making people consider certain similarities in how bth were hyped.

I don't think Martinez has that many impressive victories I disagree with you...he drew with kermit C, he beat a beat up Pavlik who almost won after being totally exposed by Hopkins, Maklin? big deal. And again junior is ****.

So where are those impressive victories?

martinez WAS not p4p he was always a hype job. Aside from the collective voices of the guillable where do you get the temerity to claim martinez is a p4p great? Its hype.

Lacy is a great example precisely because he was also similarly hyped, called a potential rising star, etc. As a matter of fact given Lacy's strong amateur career he may be considered having more credability than Martinez!
            He beat Williams, Pavlik, Barker, Macklin a few others.

Whilst I agree I don't consider Martinezs run to be as impressive as others to compare him to Lacy is outright ridiculous.

Lacy doesn't have a single impressive win in his entire career.

Comment

I should clarify that when I ask about whether Martinez is better I am asking a rhetorical question: I am trying to ask fellow posters to consider this a little more carefully. When you do you realize that Martinez has fought a lot of fluff, don't even get me started in junior! I hyped Junior when he was serious, I defended the kid until he started acting like a jerk. Point is he was **** in the last fight with Martinez and people were comparing his ability with Cotto's.

The truth is that yes Martinez is better than Lacy but not really all that much as people think. Both guys are limited, have a gimmick, don't show much knowledge in the ring and both guys have a big heart.

Atheticlly it was Martinez' foot speed, his ambush ability and with Lacy it was his physique which made him a punching menance with a left hook to rival that of Frazier! (people hyped this punch at the time....)
              Really not feeling this comparison. Martinez is a couple of levels above lacy IMO. Don't really see how anyone could argue different

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                Just because his career isn't as strong as cotto's, that doesn't mean that serg was a hype job,, there is literally only about 5 or 6 active fighters that have better careers than cotto

I just don't see how he can be considered a hype job.. Especially if you consider he had very low drawing power with fans and didn't hit big til he was in his 30s. I don't see how he can be considered a hype job when he had to fight and crawl his way to the top
                Does it matter? Why are people so reluctant to just look at who Martinez fought, the results and the natural conclusion? He is a relatively solid middle weight with some trials and tribulations and thats about it.

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
                  A bit insulting to martinez no?

He was past prime and arguably completely shot after having a good career with wins over some top guys. Lacy was young, prime and over hyped...

Whenever i see a thread like this - diminishing a good champion to an unacceptable degree - I always assume there is some form of agenda but i don't really know the op's posting history so who knows.

it's unfortunate that there seems to be so few genuine fans in this place. almost everyone has an agenda ... diminish one guy so that diminishes somebody else by default or whatever and that then means this other guy who I'm an uber fan of is awesome etc etc
                  The Op is a jerk, a pufter and many more things...but he has no agenda against Martinez. In fact he does not even think it is Martinez' fault that he has been hyped up...the OP just has a real disdain for collective ignorance and I mean this literally certainly not perjoratively.

Instead of looking at me look at who Martinez beat and didn't beat.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    He beat Williams, Pavlik, Barker, Macklin a few others.

Whilst I agree I don't consider Martinezs run to be as impressive as others to compare him to Lacy is outright ridiculous.

Lacy doesn't have a single impressive win in his entire career.
                    lacy beat Robin Reid!

Seriously you may well consider this a sterling record that puts Martinez way above Lacy....guess what? the boxing pundits (at the time) did not. Lacy was picked to beat Joe and put up as a star in the making....that is a fact. So is it me who is hyping Lacy? Not really.

I consider myself a g***** really just here to remind people when things are so quickly forgotten. And while I cannot guage it I am fairly confident that about the time Lacy went to that fight with Calzighe he was being hyped as much as Martinez was when fighting Cotto. In both cases people should have known that the level of skill and proof of skill was on a different level, Cotto and Calzighe were in a class above.

Comment

lacy beat Robin Reid!

Seriously you may well consider this a sterling record that puts Martinez way above Lacy....guess what? the boxing pundits (at the time) did not. Lacy was picked to beat Joe and put up as a star in the making....that is a fact. So is it me who is hyping Lacy? Not really.

I consider myself a g***** really just here to remind people when things are so quickly forgotten. And while I cannot guage it I am fairly confident that about the time Lacy went to that fight with Calzighe he was being hyped as much as Martinez was when fighting Cotto. In both cases people should have known that the level of skill and proof of skill was on a different level, Cotto and Calzighe were in a class above.
                      The difference to me is that I believe that the 2010 version of Sergio would have beaten the 2014 Cotto. In retrospect I wouldn't pick any version of Lacy to ever beat Joe C. The class difference in the two matchups just isn't the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X