No announcement yet.

I don't get all the "Floyd is past his prime" talk

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sugersean15 View Post
    have you seen the mosley fight his hand speed the best it's been in a while so i don't know what your talking about .
    Nope, his 1-2 combinations & jab's were faster against Marquez than Mosley, I'm a big Mayweather fan but his skill set is declining due to his age, simple.

The last time he looked 'great' fast was against DLH.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
      In a way I think Floyd has almost become a better fighter with age, it's damn near impossible to hit him now and his punch stats and getting hit ratio is mind blowing.

I think terms like "past his prime", "weight drained", and "overrated" get thrown around too easily by boxing fans today.
      He's a smarter fighter now. Kinda like Hopkins. Hopkins is way past his physical peak but since he takes care of his body and has an extremely high boxing IQ you see how well he's doing.

Comment

Athletically he is not as fast or agile as he used to be. No one would be. Physically he is still in great shape. Mentally he is still strong. He definitely isn't the guy who fought Gatti.

Comment

Originally posted by KLTP View Post
          This is Floyd in his prime.

I've been watching Floyd for along time, some point in 2006 you can clearly see he was on the decline. He lost speed, his movement is alot slower, and he has a more defensive mind now.

Floyd is past his prime, but that doesn't mean he's shot. Far from it. Floyd is so good he can fight up well in his 40s if he wants too.
          Floyd good now, but that Floyd was a beast

Comment

Originally posted by LarryX2011 View Post
            Floyd isnt shot man but he isnt physically prime anymore..he uses his mind which is very sharp,he IS getting hit more lately then he use to But that says a lot cause he Still doesnt get hit A lot
            That's the thing Larry, he ain't getting hit more and he's schooling fighters more clearly now (even if he's not punishing them as much as he used to and not going for knock outs). Look at the Chicanito fight, look at the Burton fight, look at the first Castillo fight, ect. Floyd was hit quite a bit in those fights and was hurt a few times. Now look at his fights against Mosley, Hatton, and Marquez, he's just toying with fighters now a days and barley gets hits or loses rounds. So once again, how the hell is dude past it, even physically?
            Last edited by _original_; 08-23-2011, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Born2Live View Post
              Nope, his 1-2 combinations & jab's were faster against Marquez than Mosley, I'm a big Mayweather fan but his skill set is declining due to his age, simple.

The last time he looked 'great' fast was against DLH.
              How could you not consider his performance against Mosley masterful? And his fights with Hatton and Marquez really showed how great he's become.

And the I also disagree about Oscar, Floyd didn't look his best compared to his other recent fights. He got the job done but it was a dry and lackluster performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
                Athletically he is not as fast or agile as he used to be. No one would be. Physically he is still in great shape. Mentally he is still strong. He definitely isn't the guy who fought Gatti.
                Fighters age differently some fighters are past their prime when they are in their mid-thirties and some fighters are in their prime in their mid-thirties.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                  Seeing a lot of posters lately claiming Floyd is past his prime but I honestly don't get where this talk is coming from. Just because Mosley rocked him in a round? Wow, is Floyd not allowed to be hurt or lose a round because that'll automatically make him shot? Every other fighter gets stunned and loses rounds. Mosley was still a formidable opponent, the best welterweight and top p4p fighter coming off a great win. Or is all this talk stemming from another lay off and people are already assuming it's going to affect Floyd? All of these assumptions seem premature to me, let's just wait and see how Floyd looks in his return against Ortiz first.
                  You wouldn't think Roy Jones was past his prime either based on what he did to Clinton Woods and John Ruiz. People are seeing the subtle slipping starting to add up for Floyd. Didn't just start with the Mosley fight.

Comment

getting hit and or knocked down in boxing = BUM/washed up

especially if youre floyd

Comment

Not prime anymore but still very very good. Floyd was prime around 2003-6 (youth & skills)

Comment

Working...
                      X