Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Roy Jones Jr. & Floyd Mayweather were the same natural weight who wins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

all things being equal at say 160 or 168, i think it would all come down to fmj's chin...prime jones was too much of a puzzle for anybody...he'd be too unorthodox for fmj and would land clean from everywhere, much like he did on hopkins and toney...both of them had that throwback style that jones always seemed to handle easily...but both of those fighters had great chins, just that they couldn't match jones in the speed department...

not saying that prime fmj couldn't land on jones because fmj has exceptional handspeed, and the speed at which he uses the shoulder roll defense is wicked, but i don't see fmj being able to mount enough of an attack to slow roy down...he could be too much on the defensive for most of the fight..

plus roy had the 1 punch ko power @ 160 and 168, and if fmj took one of those clean left hooks from out of nowhere and sees queer street, its a wrap

...soooo... being that fmj has never lost, and i consider him steps above hopkins and toney p4p, i'd say jones by split decision because of his unorthodox style

Comment

This is a very hard one to judge. When you're talking about two guy's who, in their prime, are seperated by 30+lbs how can you judge who's stronger P4P? The KO% for Floyd at his prime weight was high as was Roy's so it's hard to figure.

I think Floyd is a better all around boxer while Roy's is the best fighter I've seen from an athletic stand-point. It's a 50-50 fight for me.

Comment

People also forget that Toney had/has an ATG shoulder roll too. It's part of what enables him to live with huge powerful HWs!

But Toney's great shoulder roll didn't help him much with the amazing prime Roy.

Shoulder roll wouldn't help FLoyd much either. Prime Roy vs Prime FLoyd, is a relatively easy win for Roy. But it might have been a snooze fest.

Comment

Floyd is unbeaten in fantasy fights, wouldn't bet against him

Comment

On paper Floyd basically wins every fight. But its not that easy Roy's unnatural style could give Floyd problems, along with the fact Floyd would probably not be the fastest guy in the ring Roy would probably steal the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
              all things being equal at say 160 or 168, i think it would all come down to fmj's chin...prime jones was too much of a puzzle for anybody...he'd be too unorthodox for fmj and would land clean from everywhere, much like he did on hopkins and toney...both of them had that throwback style that jones always seemed to handle easily...but both of those fighters had great chins, just that they couldn't match jones in the speed department...

not saying that prime fmj couldn't land on jones because fmj has exceptional handspeed, and the speed at which he uses the shoulder roll defense is wicked, but i don't see fmj being able to mount enough of an attack to slow roy down...he could be too much on the defensive for most of the fight..

plus roy had the 1 punch ko power @ 160 and 168, and if fmj took one of those clean left hooks from out of nowhere and sees queer street, its a wrap

...soooo... being that fmj has never lost, and i consider him steps above hopkins and toney p4p, i'd say jones by split decision because of his unorthodox style
              Most people will say Roy has a glass chin also and Floyds overhand right lands with precise accuracy amd it knock Roy down when he's coming in and out. Floyd figures people body rhythm out better than most.

Comment

RJJ hands down...................

Comment

Originally posted by dc3383 View Post
                  Most people will say Roy has a glass chin also and Floyds overhand right lands with precise accuracy amd it knock Roy down when he's coming in and out. Floyd figures people body rhythm out better than most.
                  Yup definitely debateable. Jones got ko'd by a natural lightheavy who was a big puncher though, something to consider. Floyd doesn't have that one punch ko power, so a puncher's chance is ruled out here.

Still don't think Fmj can put together a sustained enough attack to slow Jones down or put him on his back, especially when he knows he's going to get hit back in return. These are two of the most dominant champs going at it.

Comment

this is a close fight for sure. i dunno who wins it, im about 50-50. floyd does have a hard time with unorthodix fighters but roy was definitely glass jawed even back then, floyd with his accuracy and precision could have exploited that. p4p its much more closer than most of u are even comprehending.

Comment

RJJ would give it to floyd without lube, lettuce be reality.

Comment

Working...
                      X