No announcement yet.

Joel Diaz: "Top Rank wants Tim to lose"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
    Possible. Arum definitely does not like Bradley right now.
    This is an unthinking comment. I don't know of a single promoter who has EVER wanted his fighter to lose.

I suppose reasons can be found, like, for instance, he'd found that he was playing around with his wife behind the promoter's back. Or unless the fighter was a low level guy, and the promoter had backed his opponent heavily. or maybe was intending to leave for another promoter.

These are all speculative reasons and I don't know of any actual instances. I don't know when Bradley's contract expires, but I believe that Top Rank always has a contingency clause allowing them the option of extending the contract for 12-18 months. Also, they always include injury time as an add-on. Besides, Bradley is not in a war with Top Rank which has been good to him, and anyway disputes can always be resolved, and business is business, the fighters and promoters don't have to hug and kiss one another every day.

The vast majority of fighters and promoters rarely see one another except in the run up to a fight or for some contractual matter. They are separate people connected only by business.
    Last edited by edgarg; 08-12-2013, 07:19 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
      Thanks for the correction bro,must've really bother+ed you..
      You're welcome, and it was marginally annoying.

Comment

• Tim ain't **** IMO. Ducked Khan, LOST to Pacquiao, got ****ed up by Ruslan and barely survived that. Had to take a knee in the 12th to stop the onslaught. Lol now as far as this fight with JMM goes, Arum is being a fa990t and is trying to let JMM get away with murder. Again! Lol

Comment

• ive been thinking the same thing, i agree with joel 100%. they dgaf about tim. JMM is much more marketable ofcourse they want him to win.

Tims better off with goldenboy

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray* View Post
            So you have zero prove that he doesn't want testing? They have a promoter and he shut down both fighters request why? Who knows...

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jun/20/sports/la-sp-sn-boxing-marquez-bradley-20130620

As you can see below, JMM says if I do the testing, Bradley can't weigh more than 10 pounds over 147 on fight night. You can also see that the original contract language did not specify NSAC as you have stated numerous times.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juan Manuel Marquez, Timothy Bradley fighting over drug testing
            June 20, 2013|By Lance Pugmire

Timothy Bradley, left, says he won't fight Juan Manuel Marquez, right, if his opponent doesn't agree to drug testing.

Timothy Bradley, left, says he won't fight Juan Manuel Marquez, right,… (Kevork Djansezian / Getty…)

Juan Manuel Marquez was subjected to skepticism in December when the newly buffed-up multichampion boxer knocked Manny Pacquiao out stone cold, the first time Pacquaio hit the canvas in the pair’s five fights.

Now, Marquez, in advance of his Oct. 12 world welterweight title fight at Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas against Palm Springs’ Timothy Bradley, is due to be subjected to an unspecified number of random drug tests.

There remains, however, some questions about who will preside over the testing.

“I want to prove I’m a clean fighter,” said Marquez (55-6-1, 40 knockouts), who’ll turn 40 on Aug. 23. “Bradley asks for it. I say no problem.”

It also might be a problem for Marquez to ask for another supplemental condition to be inserted into already signed contracts.

Marquez said he wants Bradley (30-0, 12 KOs) to agree not to weigh more than 10 pounds over his Oct. 11 weigh-in weight on fight night.

“What Bradley wants to do” (i.e., testing) “is not a rule for the fight and,” a fight-night weight stipulation “is not a rule for the fight,” Marquez said. “If I do it, he should do it. Bradley is too big.”

Bradley became visibly agitated at the suggestion that Marquez would resist testing if Bradley doesn’t abide by a weight condition.

“He’s going to get tested,” Bradley said. “If Marquez doesn’t get tested, then no fight. If I’m doing,” testing by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency and the Voluntary Anti-Doping Assn., “then he needs to do both, too.”

Bradley’s wife, Monica, who presides over the details of her husband’s contracts, said the current contracts state USADA and VADA will be involved in testing.

But fight promoter Bob Arum said he wants to tweak that language to make the Nevada State Athletic Commission responsible for overseeing testing, with full blood and the more detailed Carbon Isotope Ratio (CIR) screening for testosterone used, if necessary.

“Whatever the expense, we’ll pay it,” Arum said of the Nevada involvement. “They’re the regulatory body. If VADA or USADA get a positive, so? But if the regulatory agency does, then they decide what to do with it.”

Arum said he was confident he could ease whatever concern Bradley might have with the change in testing plans, and added he did not intend to insert the weight stipulation.

“Bradley no way will come in 10 pounds heavier,” Arum said. “He’s a natural 140-pounder.”

Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Officer Keith Kizer said Arum made the testing request on Monday, and Kizer said Arum’s company must now make a formal request of the commission to proceed.

Before he beat Pacquiao, Marquez was never tested while training in Mexico under the direction of conditioning coach and former BALCO figure Angel “Memo” Heredia. Marquez gave pre- and post-fight urine samples instead on fight week.

Marquez said he would work with Heredia again for this fight as he seeks a fifth weight class world title, unprecedented for a Mexican fighter.

“I work very hard in Mexico,” Marquez said. “It’ll be like the same training camp I had for Pacquiao, except speed is more important for this fight. Speed is most important.”

Comment

• “Whatever the expense, we’ll pay it,” Arum said of the Nevada involvement. “They’re the regulatory body. If VADA or USADA get a positive, so? But if the regulatory agency does, then they decide what to do with it.”
              What does Bob get out of this? If VADA or USADA get a positive Top Rank decides what to do with it just like GBP did, why would Bob just hand over that power?

Comment

Working...
              X