No announcement yet.

Jones' sidekick to the leg should be illegal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
    it's not that complicated. the damage comes from a planted foot. lift your leg and the kick literally does nothing. because the joint can then make it's natural movement.

but i understand the dangers of it. i practice martial arts (not mma). so i know and i do have some conflict with it but the kick can very easily be neutralised as well.

whether or not someone can counter doesn't matter. taking damage vs not taking damage is what i'm getting at. the damage can be avoided but it's still a dangerous technique.
    I'm not trying to be a badass here... But if I were to spar with you and I was allowed to do that I would tear the **** out of your knee. It's dirty, it's not really easily defended because I can just push at it. You can do it as a front kick too. Anderson Silva used to do it as well. I can't get behind it. It's pushing the joint instead of accidentally or causing direct impact. The pushing will cause more damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
      I'm not trying to be a badass here... But if I were to spar with you and I was allowed to do that I would tear the **** out of your knee. It's dirty, it's not really easily defended because I can just push at it. You can do it as a front kick too. Anderson Silva used to do it as well. I can't get behind it. It's pushing the joint instead of accidentally or causing direct impact. The pushing will cause more damage.
      if i saw your pattern of attack. i would lift my leg. a foot against an elevated shin, or a raised and bent knee is doing no damage.

if i don't see it, i would be screwed.

i understand the dangers of it. i don't argue against that but it's not impossible to avoid the damage either.

Comment

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post
        regardless of whether he aims for the shinbone, calf muscle, or quadricep that sidekick should be illegal. He could very easily end someone's career on accident or perhaps on purpose with a sidekick to the knee.

Bet if they ban it jones either cherrypicks a grappler or gets ktfo in the next following fight.
        I agree that its kinda of a cheap shot but how would it end someone's career?

ok maybe it would cause a torn acl or something, but I don't see that kind of an injury as a career ender in MMA. In some other sports yes, but not mma.

Comment

Junior Dos Santos' right hand should be illegal because it has the potential to turn someone into a ******.

Comment

I'd rather see Jones kick someone in the knee than Overeem kick someone in the temple tbh

Comment

Originally posted by G A M E View Post
              the equivalent of a klitchko jab tbh.. I dont have a problem with it as much as I do wth elbows on the ground.
              I don't have a problem with that. Elbows on the ground should be legal, as well as kicks and knees to downed opponents and warnings should be given for stallers and guys that lay and pray. If some organization did that, it would be the greatest ever IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                It's not the same thing to strike a joint directly as it is to apply a submission.

That said, it is true that some of these are banned in certain formats for precisely this reason.

But the main difference for me is that a submission hold is intended to get a guy to tap. A direct strike to the knee cap is intended to debilitate the leg, not induce a submission or cause a knockout (the two ways of finishing a fight). Rather, it is to create structural damage which will make the guy less effective. Given the danger and consequences these kicks can have, I don't think they should be allowed.
                Then what about leg kicks in general, should those be allowed?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                  Then what about leg kicks in general, should those be allowed?
                  Round kicks can be very easily defended by checking or even just getting inside past its effective range. There is no effective way to defend a sidekick to the knee that doesnt put the fighter in a compromising situation.

Another difference is that a deliberate roundkick to the knee results in the attacker having just as good a chance at a serious injury to their ankle as the fighter on the receiving end sustaining a serious injury to their knee.

Comment

So you're saying just no straight kicks to the knee? I wouldn't have a problem with that. I'd still rather see Pride rules, but with elbows on the ground also allowed and 12 to 6 straight down elbows allowed as well. They've taken too many weapons away from strikers these days and I'm sick of the lay and pray crap a lot of these wrestlers pull, it's killing the sport.

Comment

Working...
                    X