Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Roberto Duran the best lightweight of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brownpimp88 View Post
    I am surprised no one has mentioned pernell whitaker. He is by far the most skilled fighter at lightweight. Head movement, footwork, combos, jab, defence. This guy would have given carlos ortiz major problems, and i know that in a head to head matchup he would beat benny leonard. Sorry, but pernell whitaker is the best lightweight that ever lived cuz he has the most skills. The guys he defended his welterweight belt against are better than the ones armstrong fought, hell didnt armstrong defend his belt against a guy with losing record, lol.
    Pffttt....As if... Whitaker couldn't carry Durans jock strap.

Comment

Originally posted by phxboxingfan View Post
      Pffttt....As if... Whitaker couldn't carry Durans jock strap.
      why not? a 30 year old duran got completely outclassed by a defensive slickster like benitez, make any excuse you want, duran lost to him.

Pernell's only loss during his lightweight career was a robbery, while duran was soundly defeated.

He cant carry duran's jaockstrap becuase? Please tell me the reason why, when it comes to pure skill, whitaker owns him. By the way, whitaker frustrates his opponents all the time, we saw what happened when duran got frustrated. He quit!

Comment

I agree, Im not sure why Pernell aint up there with the lightweights...his record is solid just from his fights at lightweight, notwithstanding the fact he didnt lose until the end of his career at welterweight against an up and coming De La Hoya...and even that fight was quite controversial.

If you take a look at Whitaker's record...its just incredible really. Just watching him the ring was somethin...

Whitaker vs. Duran wouldve been a hell of a fight
        ________
        CHRYSLER PACIFICA HISTORY
        Last edited by Steak; 02-11-2011, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Ring magazine recognize him as top 3 at lightweight, its just these guys on boxingscene that overhype ortiz, ike williams, canzoneori and joe gans. Pernell had more skill than all 4 men and he became linear welterweight champ for 4 years. Besides pernell, what other top 10 lightweight is a top 15-20 welterweight of all times?

Comment

i'm gonna add my name to the long list of people who agree!

Comment

I am surprised no one has mentioned pernell whitaker. He is by far the most skilled fighter at lightweight. Head movement, footwork, combos, jab, defence. This guy would have given carlos ortiz major problems, and i know that in a head to head matchup he would beat benny leonard. Sorry, but pernell whitaker is the best lightweight that ever lived cuz he has the most skills. The guys he defended his welterweight belt against are better than the ones armstrong fought, hell didnt armstrong defend his belt against a guy with losing record, lol.
              definately top 5 but not the best

Comment

Don't remember if I responded to this thread already or not and I'm too lazy to check through all the posts, so I'll say this.

If it's not Duran, then it's Leonard or Gans.

Comment

why not? a 30 year old duran got completely outclassed by a defensive slickster like benitez, make any excuse you want, duran lost to him.

Pernell's only loss during his lightweight career was a robbery, while duran was soundly defeated.

He cant carry duran's jaockstrap becuase? Please tell me the reason why, when it comes to pure skill, whitaker owns him. By the way, whitaker frustrates his opponents all the time, we saw what happened when duran got frustrated. He quit!
                  Bpimp I know you've studied your boxing history so I know you know all about the 'no mas' match. You can't use that in an assessment of Duran.

You refer to Pernell being 'more skilled', which counts on a certain estimation of 'skill'. but Duran is the more completer fighter. Pernell could not have so much as poppped a zit on Duran if the man had one at the time, and Duran likely would have KO'd Pernell.

Comment

Originally posted by kayjay View Post
                    Bpimp I know you've studied your boxing history so I know you know all about the 'no mas' match. You can't use that in an assessment of Duran.

You refer to Pernell being 'more skilled', which counts on a certain estimation of 'skill'. but Duran is the more completer fighter. Pernell could not have so much as poppped a zit on Duran if the man had one at the time, [Band Duran likely would have KO'd Pernell.[/B]
                    I don't know about that, bud. Whitaker was as tough as nails beneath his slickster exterior. He had a mean streak as wide as Duran's, IMO. Remember, even a shot Pernell went the full twelve with Trinidad, who hit a hell of a lot harder than Duran.

Comment

• Originally posted by K-DOGG View Post
                      Don't remember if I responded to this thread already or not and I'm too lazy to check through all the posts, so I'll say this.

If it's not Duran, then it's Leonard or Gans.
                      i thought leonard was only a lightweight in his amatuer days?

Comment

Working...
                      X