Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have You Ever Experienced Sleep Paralysis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Noose View Post

Its similar to the way we can hear a sound when we are asleep, and in our dreams the sound is transformed into an event in the dream.
    In what medical journal did you find this? Do you have any reference material that corroborates your statement? Can I see links to it?

Comment

I think i already gave u a scientific explanation. That if the hallucination and ur belief in prayer are both in ur mind, then u believe that prayer banishes demons.
      So ur suffer SP, which is extremely unpleasant, and ur brain which is still half asleep projects the form of a demon/apparition. Ur belief that prayer can save u overrides this projection, and it disappears as u become fully awake.
      Nice convenient opinions, now supply the scientific data to back up your claim. Can you link me to any Psychiatric publications that will corroborate your "facts?"

Last edited by Lady Fan; 08-02-2011, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lady Fan View Post
        Explain your experience(s) if any with Sleep Paralysis.

Sleep paralysis, also known as Old Hag, is a phenomenon that is known, to some extent, by all cultures throughout the world. Some people say attacking aliens are the cause of sleep paralysis, while others credit the "Devil" himself and/or his minions, and if not that, then the classic "old hag" who sits on an unsuspecting sleeping person's chest, and upon their waking realize they are powerless to move. For what ends a hag would do this are as varied as the cultures on the planet. Only the old hag does not always appear as a grotesque elderly matron. For more on the legends and lore of similar 'old hag' experiences, see the bottom part of this page.

Only in the last couple decades, and especially the last 10 or so years, have researchers begun to seriously study this bizarre happening. Nothing is as of yet in concrete, but we at least now have a solid place to begin. And I would like to further add, that although we may now have an explanation of the mechanics involved, it does not mean we know WHY or WHAT causes this strange phenomenon to occur, but only explains what is going on physically during an episode of sleep paralysis, or SP...

http://www.paranormalsocieties.com/a...-paralysis.cfm

I recount only one episode of SP as a teen. It happened in the middle of the night. Anyway, I remember laying on my side facing in the direction of my closet when this evil looking presence appeared to me. I believe my eyes were open as I viewed this thing. Of course I was in complete shock and was unable to move or scream. I was completely paralyzed. Being the Catholic that I am, I somehow willed my way to make the sign of the cross and this "evil-looking apparition" whether hallucinated or not completely went away and I've never had another experience like that ever since.

Now if SP can be scientifically explained away as just being an hallucination created by the human mind, then what would cause the "evil presence" I had experienced to immediately stop and go away after I had made the sign of the cross? Did something of the Divine nature save me? I really think so.

What's your story?
        I've had mini ones here and there. Usually happens in a semi-dreamlike state or I could be completely aware of my surroundings. I never experienced the demonic visuals or hallucinations, I just can't move (I'm almost always on my stomach) but I feel some kind of negative presence or something will happen if I don't move. Pretty damn freaky, and mine are just light examples of SP, and mine don't last too long either.

OP, are you trying to figure out OBEs and astral projection?

Comment

In what medical journal did you find this? Do you have any reference material that corroborates your statement? Can I see links to it?

Happens to me all the time. Ask people. Its quite common.

Originally posted by Lady Fan View Post
          Nice convenient opinions, now supply the scientific data to back up your claim. Can you link me to any Psychiatric publications that will corroborate your "facts?"

lol. Its a theory based on the rationale. Scientific thinking is rational thinking.
          My opinions arent 'convenient'. They are simply looking at the facts.

Its a fact that we hallucinate, and that its caused by the brain yes?
          Its a fact that when we dream we are paralyzed yes?
          Its a fact that many people experience SP and learned how to deal with it, yes?
          Its a fact that people of different religions also believe that their religion has banished these 'demons....(why would that work if it wasnt in the mind?? If their faith was wrong, the 'demon wouldnt go away would it)
          Its a fact SP can be treated medically, through medication or simply a change in diet (so how can it be demons?)

Read this article. He has provided his sources.
          http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1804

Go to the 'Superstition and Folkore' section of this article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A6092471

And check out these.

Blackmore, S. 1998. Abduction by aliens or sleep paralysis? Sceptic Inquirer Vol 22(3).

Bower, B. 2005. Night of the Crusher. The waking nightmare of sleep paralysis propels people into a spirit world. Science News Online Vol 168(2).

Cheyne, JA. 2001. The ominous numinous: Sensed presence and 'other' hallucinations. Journal of Consciousness Studies Vol 8(5-7):133-150.

Conesa, J. 1995. Relationship between isolated sleep paralysis and geomagnetic influences: a case study. Perceptual and Motor Skills Vol 80(3 Pt 2):1263-73.

Cromie, WJ. 2003. Alien abduction claims examined: Signs of trauma found. Harvard Gazette, 20 February.

Davies, O. 2003. The nightmare experience, sleep paralysis, and witchcraft accusations - Focus on 'the Nightmare'. Folklore Vol 114(2):181-203.

Hinton, DE. 2005. The ghost pushes you down: Sleep paralysis-type panic attacks in a Khmer refugee population. Transcultural Psychiatry Vol 42(1): 46-77.

Hishikawa, Y and T Shimizu. 1995. Physiology of REM sleep, cataplexy, and sleep paralysis. Advances in Neurology Vol 67:245-271.

Kristof, ND. 1999. Sleep disorder may explain alien abduction stories: Brain-body 'disconnect' can cause terror. New York Times, Friday, July 9.

McNally, RJ and SA Clancy. 2005. Sleep paralysis, sexual abuse and space alien abduction. Transcultural Psychiatry vol 42(1):113-122.

Paradis, CM and S Friedman. 2005. Sleep paralysis in African Americans with panic disorder. Transcultural Psychiatry vol 42(1): 123-134.

Rowlands, B. 2001. In the dead of the night. The Observer, Sunday, November 18.

Shermer, M. 1998. Why people believe weird things. Pseudoscience, superstition and other confusions of our time. WH Freeman & Company.

Comment

Happens to me all the time. Ask people. Its quite common.
            lol. Its a theory based on the rationale. Scientific thinking is rational thinking.
            My opinions arent 'convenient'. They are simply looking at the facts.
            Fear-Induced Hallucination: How Sleep Paralysis Triggers Hallucination
            Hiro Takahashi

"The origin of hallucinations during Sleep Paralysis is still not clear, but many neuroscientists supports that it has some connection to anxiety (16). So far, many studies on Sleep Paralysis and hallucinations have been done on neurobiological level, but there are many aspects and questions yet to be discovered, explained, or answered. Why do some people experience hallucination and others do not? Which factors determine the hallucinatory images that each victim sees or hears? Are they really hallucination or evil spirits? The hallucination during Sleep Paralysis remains mysterious."

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1804#1

This is a quote from a student paper you've referenced on the Serendip website.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neurophobe View Post
              I've had mini ones here and there. Usually happens in a semi-dreamlike state or I could be completely aware of my surroundings. I never experienced the demonic visuals or hallucinations, I just can't move (I'm almost always on my stomach) but I feel some kind of negative presence or something will happen if I don't move. Pretty damn freaky, and mine are just light examples of SP, and mine don't last too long either.

OP, are you trying to figure out OBEs and astral projection?
              No.

Comment

Fear-Induced Hallucination: How Sleep Paralysis Triggers Hallucination
                Hiro Takahashi

"The origin of hallucinations during Sleep Paralysis is still not clear, but many neuroscientists supports that it has some connection to anxiety (16). So far, many studies on Sleep Paralysis and hallucinations have been done on neurobiological level, but there are many aspects and questions yet to be discovered, explained, or answered. Why do some people experience hallucination and others do not? Which factors determine the hallucinatory images that each victim sees or hears? Are they really hallucination or evil spirits? The hallucination during Sleep Paralysis remains mysterious."

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1804#1

This is a quote from a student paper you've referenced on the Serendip website.

Yes, i read that. Whats your point?

That because science doesnt have all the answers superstition is valid?
                You can believe whatever you want, but in my opinion, you ignore all those facts i presented that point to SP and demons being the product of a persons mind because you WANT to believe in demons etc.
                Thats fine with me. Your beliefs dont affect me at all. I was just giving my opinion for a naturalistic explanation that you have chosen to ignore.

Like i said, it seems strange to me that people from different religions and beliefs also say their magic works on demons.
                Plus the fact that medication helps SP.
                Plus the fact people learn how to deal with it over time.
                To me, this and more point to it being in the mind. Not real.

I understand you strongly disagree. I havent experienced demonic visions. I have experienced paralysis when waking from a nightmare about Charles Manson. So maybe its all real. But i dont think so.

Comment

Yes, i read that. Whats your point?

That because science doesnt have all the answers superstition is valid?
                  You can believe whatever you want, but in my opinion, you ignore all those facts i presented that point to SP and demons being the product of a persons mind because you WANT to believe in demons etc.
                  Thats fine with me. Your beliefs dont affect me at all. I was just giving my opinion for a naturalistic explanation that you have chosen to ignore.
                  I respect your opinions as you respect mine. However, the problem I have with your "naturalistic" explanation of the SP experience is that you think demonic or ghostly figures are the exclusive products of an hallucinating mind that "wants" to believe in such en******. So, then what would be your "naturalistic" explanation for those people who are not religious, don't believe in God, Spirits, etc. that do visualize demons and ghostly figures during their SP experience?

Last edited by Lady Fan; 08-03-2011, 12:18 AM.

Comment

U dont know what i consider 'sacred' or what my religious experiences are.
                    I think i already gave u a scientific explanation. That if the hallucination and ur belief in prayer are both in ur mind, then u believe that prayer banishes demons.
                    So ur suffer SP, which is extremely unpleasant, and ur brain which is still half asleep projects the form of a demon/apparition. Ur belief that prayer can save u overrides this projection, and it disappears as u become fully awake.

Its similar to the way we can hear a sound when we are asleep, and in our dreams the sound is transformed into an event in the dream.

Why do u think there is no solid scientific explanations as to how the brain causes us to hallucinate?
                    Do u think the drug addict that goes cold turkey and sees pink penguins is being visited by demons? Or is it just the working of the brain?

Sleep deprivation is another way in which people hallucinate. There are many things that cause us to hallucinate.

I already have explained. SP is unpleasant. Waking up paralyzed is unpleasant. U wake up scared and confused. So the link between fear, the unkown and sp are fairly obvious.

Do u know anyone who isnt scared of anything?

There are quite a few posts in this thread from people who say it was scary at first, but they learned how to deal with it when they realised it was a hallucination.
                    That's pretty much the gist of it.

Sounds we hear while sleeping are filtered into dreams...which is why sometimes we wake up to "machine gun fire" only to realize it was just a lawnmower being used outside.

Comment

• Where's Squealpiggy?

Comment

Working...
                      X